BajaNomad

Looking for a Loreto report

aguachico - 5-28-2013 at 01:54 PM

I will be in Loreto two weeks from now for a little fishing. Relaxed non-hard core. I would like to catch a huanchinango if possible.

Any info greatly appreciated. Also, I'm towing down and have space for some tackle if needed. Keep in mind, Mexico's 4 rod limit :tumble: it's like the two dorado limit. :?:

DaliDali - 5-28-2013 at 04:31 PM

Huachinango, or Red Snapper, are a prime eating fish the world over.
Their whereabouts around here are a closely held secret among gringos and local Mexicans alike.

There are some high spots in various places that on occasion, hold the red delight.
Unless your familiar with the area and the locations of the "bajos", finding them could be a challenge.

Two weeks from now puts your dang near in prime Dorado time offshore and there is not much activity bottom fishing. It's just too dang hot to sit in one spot, working a jig off the bottom.
Most of the tourist anglers are after the Dorado.

One thing that might help you a bit is to look for an older Mexican panga, or 2 or more, anchored up in some obscure location that shows on your depth meter, in say less than 300'
It's a good chance that panga is fishing the reds on the bottom with hand lines.

If your boat is capable for a 20 to 30 mile offshore jaunt....the dorado will be there. Often times even closer.

If the dorado are "in"....it does not really matter what course you take from town.
The usual trolling jigs work......and you have already scouted on what to look for.

Now go get em!!

[Edited on 5-28-2013 by DaliDali]

güero - 5-28-2013 at 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Huachinango, or Red Snapper, are a prime eating fish the world over.
Their whereabouts around here are a closely held secret among gringos and local Mexicans alike.

There are some high spots in various places that on occasion, hold the red delight.
Unless your familiar with the area and the locations of the "bajos", finding them could be a challenge.

Two weeks from now puts your dang near in prime Dorado time offshore and there is not much activity bottom fishing. It's just too dang hot to sit in one spot, working a jig off the bottom.
Most of the tourist anglers are after the Dorado.

One thing that might help you a bit is to look for an older Mexican panga, or 2 or more, anchored up in some obscure location that shows on your depth meter, in say less than 300'
It's a good chance that panga is fishing the reds on the bottom with hand lines.

If your boat is capable for a 20 to 30 mile offshore jaunt....the dorado will be there. Often times even closer.

If the dorado are "in"....it does not really matter what course you take from town.
The usual trolling jigs work......and you have already scouted on what to look for.

Now go get em!!

[Edited on 5-28-2013 by DaliDali]

I agree 100% with what Dali says! He know what he's talking about.

aguachico - 5-30-2013 at 05:53 AM

Dali;
thanks for the info. I have eaten that fish once before and it was so good I ordered one to go.

I'm ok with buying a fresh caught from the commercial guy. Catching one would be bucket list check off, but not necessary at the moment. Is that possible, do they sell their catch at the beach?

saludos

DaliDali - 5-30-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Dali;
thanks for the info. I have eaten that fish once before and it was so good I ordered one to go.

I'm ok with buying a fresh caught from the commercial guy. Catching one would be bucket list check off, but not necessary at the moment. Is that possible, do they sell their catch at the beach?

saludos

A local fish market would be your best chances to get a fresh snapper, among other assorted varieties.

Good luck!!!