BajaNomad

Disneyland To Cabo

Bajahowodd - 5-30-2013 at 05:03 PM

Our good friend Dennis asked me to write about our most recent trip. And I just could not ignore him. Better late than never.

We live just a couple of miles from Disneyland in OC.

Left our place around 10am. Got the border and it was our first time at the new port of entry. Got the green light. But, we needed our FMM visas to be legal.

Parked and went into the new building, where the immigration officer was super friendly, even helping my companions to fill out the form.

Then, surprisingly, he told us that he could take our money right there, not needing a trip to the bank. This was mid-day on a Friday, so there was no issue with the banks, just around the corner in the same building being open.

Transaction completed, we headed out to the Cuota to head to Ensenada and beyond.

Noticed they finally completed that construction to straighten the road just North of Santo Tomas.

We were headed to Jardines in San Quintin for our first stop. The traffic from Colonet on South was awful. Obviously a testament to the amazing growth of the agriculture business in the area.

I'm guessing that the trip from the border to San Quintin is almost an hour longer than it was ten years ago.

Arrived at Jardines. Checking in for two rooms, My old friend Fernando was there at the desk. I was shocked that we almost checked into rooms on a different reservation because believe it or not, there were two rooms reserved by a fellow with the same last name as mine.

Went over to the Jardines restaurant and had some bebidas and great food.

One note is that unlike past visits, we never encountered any of the family, either at the hotel and the restaurant. The common response I got was that since the family had built their own houses on the property behind, they spent less time here.

Next am, drove South, stopping fpr gas at Baja Cactus. I do not usually stop there Southbound, but since we had planned to drive past Guerrero Negro, we thought the extra 40 miles or so in the tank would allow us to get to Vizcaino.

We to Baja's Best for breakfast. Good grub. Ed, the owner was there. We chatted a bit. Seems the last time we had stopped there, even though the place was empty, the service was really slow. Came to find out that Ed's 92 year old mother lives in San Clemente, and if he doesn't visit her at least once a month, she drives down to see him!!

Ed has really tricked out his place. Nicely furnish and decorated. Just don't know why he's done nothing to improve the curb appeal of the place, where, with the exception of an "open" sign on the front door, no one would give the place a second look.

Note to DK, Ed has ABC news on his TVs. No more Fox.

Second installment to come.

Ateo - 5-30-2013 at 05:09 PM

Thanks. Wow, they take your money at immigration now!!??!!

David K - 5-30-2013 at 05:36 PM

Nice report Howodd... I don't care what Ed has on TV, but Diana T does and uses that as a reason to not go there (her words)... Looking forward to the rest...

David K - 5-30-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Nothing super-new... (but perhaps an issue before they moved the border)... At the older crossing last July, the INM also had a cash drawer and could take the fee, saving a walk to the bank teller... A nice change!

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by David K]

fandango - 5-30-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Left our place around 10am. Got the border and it was our first time at the new port of entry. Got the green light. But, we needed our FMM visas to be legal.

Parked and went into the new building, where the immigration officer was super friendly, even helping my companions to fill out the form.

Did you go through the gate, get the green light and then you parked to go into the building?

I usually park in the declare area before going through the gate, but going through the gate puts you right outside the door to immigration.

Did any agent say anything to you?

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by fandango]

acadist - 5-30-2013 at 07:23 PM

What are thier hours?

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Nothing super-new... (but perhaps an issue before they moved the border)... At the older crossing last July, the INM also had a cash drawer and could take the fee, saving a walk to the bank teller... A nice change!

[Edited on 5-31-2013 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 6-1-2013 at 04:50 PM

For fandango- As far as I could tell one MUST go through the gates with the red/green lights.

Unfortunately, parking is quite far away from the IMM office, where they do the inspections.

For acadist, 24/7.

David K - 6-1-2013 at 05:10 PM

Thanks Howodd... I didn't see acadist question... I think Tijuana INM has been open 24/7 for nearly always...

DianaT - 6-1-2013 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Nice report Howodd... I don't care what Ed has on TV, but Diana T does and uses that as a reason to not go there (her words)... Looking forward to the rest...

Good to see Ed has become a bit more intelligent and is watching real news --- a step in the right direction. One reason down, but still too many other reasons why we will continue to drive on by. :yes:

Nice report Howard.

Kgryfon - 6-2-2013 at 02:07 AM

Nice trip report - thanks!

BajaBlanca - 6-2-2013 at 06:50 AM

Really good trip report. I am surprised they took your money right there but every minute saved is a minute having fun somewhere!

elgatoloco - 6-2-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

I was shocked that we almost checked into rooms on a different reservation because believe it or not, there were two rooms reserved by a fellow with the same last name as mine.

How odd! :saint:

Thanks for the report. Look forward to the rest of the story..........

BajaBlanca - 6-2-2013 at 11:05 AM

There is already a part 2 written up, Gato

elgatoloco - 6-2-2013 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
There is already a part 2 written up, Gato

Hey, I'm on my first cup of coffee here. Too much fiesta last noche. hee hee. :biggrin::dudette::saint: