BajaNomad

Guerrero Negro Web sites

rts551 - 5-31-2013 at 06:36 PM

Ran across a couple of web sites that show great efforts to take care of and promote the town of Guerrero Negro and surrounding communities.

http://www.guerreronegro.org/

and on FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/guerreronegroverde

I am specifically aware of the spay and neuter clinics that have visited our and other communities.

rts551 - 5-31-2013 at 06:40 PM

May 26, for the national clean Mexico day,, the people of Guerrero Negro picked up 7200 kilos of garbage.

El pasado domingo 26 de mayo, se llevó a cabo la Campaña Nacional “Limpiemos México”. Esta campaña fue un esfuerzo conjunto entre La Reserva de la Biosfera El Vizcaíno y Exportadora de Sal, S.A. de C.V., con la participación de diversas instituciones: SEDENA con personal de la 40ª Zona Militar, PROFEPA, COBACH 07, Delegación Municipal GN, Comisariado Ejidal del Ejido Benito Juarez y prestadores de servicios turísticos de La Casa Mexicana de La Ballena Gris, Escuela Secundaria Francisco J. Mujica y Voluntarios de la REBIVI/CONANP, en Guerrero Negro. Las acciones de limpieza se realizaron partiendo desde el sitio las cruces hasta el güirigo y un segundo punto desde la hielera hasta el dátil, logrando recolectar un aproximado de 7200 kilogramos de basura. Nuestro agradecimiento y reconocimiento a tod@s los participantes por su disponibilidad en las acciones para disminuir el problema de la basura a través de la participación social. En hora buena.

DianaT - 5-31-2013 at 08:13 PM

Yes, the Guerrero Negro Verde is a very good thing. More and more is happening and more and more cooperation between towns.

Last weekend there was a group that came from Tortugas and joined a group here in Bahia Asuncion to do a big trash pick up. A lot of trash was removed. The costa salvaje group in Asuncion is working hard and making progress.

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/232383583510821/?fref=ts

DENNIS - 5-31-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
May 26, for the national clean Mexico day,, the people of Guerrero Negro picked up 7200 kilos of garbage.

Sounds as though they should do it more often. Why do they need one special day per year to clean their neighborhood?

rts551 - 6-1-2013 at 05:59 AM

Don't know Dennis, Just glad they are making the effort.

BajaBlanca - 6-1-2013 at 06:26 AM

I think the National Day is meant to raise awareness. I so wish that every day were national trash pickup day!

That is a lot of trash they picked up, but then it gets dumped in the open air trash dump.

:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Skipjack Joe - 6-1-2013 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I think the National Day is meant to raise awareness. I so wish that every day were national trash pickup day!

That is a lot of trash they picked up, but then it gets dumped in the open air trash dump.

:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Their version of recycling?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

güero - 6-1-2013 at 10:11 PM

I have stayed in GN numerous times while driving to other destinations. Decent hotels for a fair travelers rate.

I hope this program opens some eyes because GN has some of the filthiest areas (that I have seen) in the Baja. For example, I woke early one morning and went for a walk behind the hotel. It was either the Don Gus or Cowboy so I was on the east side of the entrance to town. It was a dike road with water to the east and pockets of water on the west side along with houses on the higher areas. The water would come and go with the tide through the galvanized culverts. I would think that eventually all is connected with the salt operations but I'm not sure of that. To get to the point, there was every kind of garbage imaginable along with numerous dead animals of the household pet variety and offal and skin from harvested farm livestock (or possibly the backyard goat or pig) in these paddy like drainage systems.

Maybe this should be a different thread but just what I've seen in the past. I hope this awareness program works as I've seen it work well in other towns.

Some History...

David K - 6-2-2013 at 07:55 AM

A year and a half ago, I wrote the following story for Baja Bound's newsletter:

Guerrero Negro - What's In A Name?

Article And Photos By David Kier

What began as a salt mine camp called Salina Vizcaino in 1954 became the company town of Guerrero Negro in 1957, named after the lagoon the town is next to. Guerrero Negro is the Spanish translation for "Black Warrior" which was a ship that was wrecked on the sand bars near the mouth of the lagoon back on December 20, 1858.

Captain Robert Brown sailed into Frenchman's Lagoon on November 2, 1858. He was unaware of the events that in fewer than two months caused the lagoon's name to be changed for all time, and that a town of over 10,000 inhabitants would be named after his ship.

Robert Brown purchased the Black Warrior in Honolulu in December of 1854. The Black Warrior's previous captain was J.C. Bogart who was well known in the early days of San Diego history. Bogart first sailed into San Diego Bay in 1834. The Black Warrior was already a well known whaler before it was directed towards the lagoons of Baja California, the year following Charles Scammon's discovery of one of the gray whales largest breeding grounds.

Captain Brown had picked up a load of whale oil and was being pulled out of the lagoon when strong currents pushed the Black Warrior onto the sand bars of Frenchman's Lagoon. The coast of central Baja California has claimed many ships over the years. The sailors call the coast near Scammon's Lagoon Malarrimo which roughly means "bad to be near".

The beach of Malarrimo is often covered with debris from wrecked ships as well as flotsam and jetsam from around the Pacific Ocean. The hook of Baja sticks out into the Pacific Current and can grab anything that is floating south, including fishing net floats from the Orient and redwood logs from the Pacific Northwest. Everything from tins of sea rations to bottles of gin wash up - as well as a torpedo found by Baja author and map maker Mike McMahan.

A popular restaurant and motel in Guerrero Negro is named the Malarrimo after the famous beach combing location. Getting to Guerrero Negro is easy, but getting to Malarrimo Beach requires four wheel drive and caution. Mud pits that have swallowed Jeeps are hidden by dry sand blown over them along the coast. Never travel alone to Malarrimo and don't trust the flat sand beach to support a vehicles weight there!

Today Guerrero Negro continues to be a popular destination for whale watching and eco-tourism and offers a variety of hotels and restaurants to accommodate travelers.

Historical photographs of Guerrero Negro can be seen at GuerreroNegro.org