BajaNomad

Disneyland To Cabo 2

Bajahowodd - 6-1-2013 at 05:08 PM

After leaving Ed;s in El Rosario, we headed on South. Knew we would not stop in Guerrero Negro. Just became a question of whether to hang in San Ignacio, or go further to Santa Rosalia.

As it was fairly early when we hit San Ignacio, I decided to move forward.

About 10 miles before Cuesta Del Infierno, something weird happened.

On my right side, there was a Federal Police car that was next to another vehicle. They were reversed and it appeared from what I could they were chatting. Friends, perhaps.

Just after I passed them, they pulled onto the highway behind me, with the cop in the rear. Of course, I cut my speed. For the following ten miles or so, the cop rode very close to the tail of the other car.

All of a sudden, his lights went on, and I never saw them again.

In Santa Rosalia, we usually stay at El Morro. Pulled in there, and were confronted with a power shortage. Seems they had a transformer failure. CFE provided a diesel generator to the property, with the caveat that no one use the A/C. It was 85 upon arrival, and unfortunately there are no screens on the doors.

El Morro is owned by a guy who also owns the similarly named hotel in Guerrero Negro. While one cannot tell from the main highway, once you pull into the courtyard, you will encounter a very beautiful facility. About half the rooms have SOC views from their bluff top location.

Currently, that majority of these better rooms are on lease to the El Boleo folks. We were lucky to get the two last available view rooms.

The property has a pool, which appeared to be in good shape. The owner and his wife live at the North end of the property in a beautiful home that has 180 degree views from Santa Rosalia to the island South. Back in the late 90's he took us on a tour of the house. Exquisite.

It also has a large restaurant with amazing views. BUT, they have shuttered it. The front desk has a menu from Restaurant El Muelle in town, and El Muelle delivers.

Since it was at least 85, and we had no A/C, we decided to drive into town to eat at El Mulle. Good choice. It is hands down, the best restaurant in town, with a widely diverse menu that runs from seafood to pizzas. I personally had the greatest serving of chicken fajitas I can recall. Full bar, of course.

It is located two block up from the Eiffel church and one block to the left.

Next morning, we headed to Mulege, 45 minutes South for breakfast.

Scotty's was closed, but we had a great breakfast at Los Equipales.

More to come.

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Bajahowodd]

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Bajahowodd]

David K - 6-1-2013 at 05:12 PM

Cool trip report!:bounce:

BajaBlanca - 6-2-2013 at 06:55 AM

Never heard of El Muelle ..... We will cetainly check it out. It is a shame that El Morro is not operating its restaurant. Les always remembers the waiter who imitated a cat. Incessantly!

elgatoloco - 6-2-2013 at 11:17 AM

Always wanted to stay at El Morro. We stopped there once about 15 years ago and were told no rooms available even though place looked deserted. After we retreated back to the truck we both looked at each other and thought maybe our somewhat shaggy appearance (three weeks of mostly beach camping) had convinced the desk guy that we were not worthy?(after checking the mirror could hardly blame him) :lol:
Maybe next time.:saint: