BajaNomad

A Baja 500 Trip Report From Rancho El Coyote

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 11:12 AM

We got the call this week after the Jefe had done all the final race planning and the guys had just about finished their pre-running: We would be at Race Mile 262, which would put us at Rancho El Coyote!!! I was stoked to hear this as the other option they had for us was the desert area of San Felipe, which at this time of the year is starting to get hot!!

Fellow lurking Nomad and pit boss, HelloMrSoul, arrived at my casa, we loaded equipment, said goodbyes and we were off to Ensenada.

Our Ensenada arrival: (First photo is for Ken Cooke)

We cruised thru town, enjoying the festivities, seeing fellow humans involved in the act of excitement.

We headed over the the THR/Precision Concepts hotel to check in a get some final direction from Bob. The team was focused and the bike looked great!

Before leaving, one of the guys told us a story about a pre-run on Thursday where a rider was a few miles outside of Ensenada when he came around a corner to find a fellow rider down. He pulled over to help only to have a gun put to his head before having his bike removed from his possession. That's the story I was told.

We were given a stack of promo material to compliment our sticker collection and we were off, heading south thru some beautiful country and winding canyons. We took the left turn out towards San Pedro Martir and headed up the mountain.

This area is one of Baja's most unique and unknown areas (at least it was unknown to me until recently). I had past by this turnoff for 25 years totally unaware of the gem that is SPM.

Anyway, we braved the hidden vados and arrived at the Ranch.

We headed out to the race course to find the best place to pit. Here's is the San Pedro Martir, and somewhere over the is Baja Dark Skies Inn and Astrobaja.

We wandered around the ranch and met Alfonso and his brother Esteban. They showed us how they made some leather products from the cow hides. Incredible. HelloMrSoul may have more to say about this as he was hyper focused on the experience. I'm just a city boy.

Camp:

At 6:30PM, the dinner bell was rung and we headed over for some conversation and comida. The dinner hall, or dining room, or whatever the heck you'd call it was full. We hung with some locals, some race spectators, and the Team Honda pit crew. All good guys...............

Dinner consisted of some marinated chicken, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, something else that I forget, and tortillas. Desert too...........

It was time to turn in. We had a long day ahead of us manana. We set up the chairs and watched satellites and stars revolve around us. HelloMrSoul hooked up the kids in the campground with glow sticks and marshmallows.

Setting sun:

opposite horizon view:

More to follow......................

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Ateo]

TMW - 6-2-2013 at 11:35 AM

Excellent Ateo, thanks. I've got to stop by El Coyote. I been by it many times but never stopped.

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 11:46 AM

We awoke before Dawn, shedding sandals, putting boots on. We turned the race radios on. Robby Bell (4X) had left over an hour ago and the first report we got was he was in the lead thru Ojos Negros. We met the pit crews and other friends again for a delicious breakfast. Fresh fruit, buttered bread, potatoes, eggs, salsa, pineappla juice, coffee, tortillas. Kicked arse!

We headed out to the race course, Team Honda getting thru the gate just before us.

Setting up the pit:

Bob had scheduled a rider change at our pit, so about 2 hours before the action got hot, Taylor Robert and his chase vehicle piloted by Mike arrived. He was loose and relaxed, putting on the game face about 15 minutes before hopping on the bike and taking off like a bat out of hell.

And of course the adrenaline spiked as the choppers and riders started arriving. While Taylor was testing the radio in his helmet and connecting in with the helicopter feed, he heard "Nice line Bell". Bell was not supposed to be on the bike as that section was scheduled for David Pearson. Like everything in life, nothing ever goes as planned and we learned David was out of the race with an injury.

The helicopter appeared and shortly thereafter Robby launched into view. We briefly ran on to the course to get his attention and he slammed on the brakes, sliding right into the pit. We dumped gas, Taylor got on the bike and bam, it was done.

Robby hopped in the chase vehicle with Mike, as his day was not over with Pearson's injury and I hopped into the back and led them off the course, and out to the gate where they took off down the mountain to Colonet.

We packed up.

It was about this time that I heard the Weatherman say "4X is down at Cuatro Casas, repeat went down hard". Crap. Taylor had handed over the bike to Steve Hengeveld somewhere down by Colonet. Weatherman again came on saying "4X is down with a broken leg, needs chase vehicle and emergency response".

We headed down the mountain, slowly and carefully, as our day was done, monitoring the radio. It would turn out that 2 of our riders had to be sent back to the USA for medical care. They ended up taking 5th place.

It wasn't THR's day like it was last year when they won this event -- but they gave it there all -- as that is all they know how to do.

Thanks for the invite HelloMrSoul. It was a great trip and let's do it again.

Our exit from Rancho El Coyote:

rts551 - 6-2-2013 at 11:58 AM

Great trip report....and you had an experience you will never forget.....OH the agony of defeat!

TMW - 6-2-2013 at 11:59 AM

Sorry it ended as it did and wish the best for Hengeveld and Pearson.

David K - 6-2-2013 at 12:02 PM

Thank you Jon!

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 12:04 PM

rts551: Yeah, the agony of defeat can only be overcome by the beauty of the Baja experience - which there most certainly was. =)

TW: Last I heard the guys were doing good and Hengeveld was out of surgery with a 100% recovery expected.

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 02:11 PM

One last thing to add from my buddy HelloMrSoul that was funny:

There was a great amount of fun at the 500. Funniest had to be what we only heard on the radio.

Weatherman: "We have a rider down at mile 280 unconscious. I need to know who this is. We have a rider knocked out at mile 280."

Weatherman 30 seconds later: "We have a rider knocked out at mile 280. I need some details."

Weatherman about 15 minutes later: "Rider at mile 280 has revived himself and is back on the bike and proceeding forward. Repeat, unconscious rider has apparently revived himself and is back on the bike."

We all imagined some guy compressing his own chest, reviving himself.:lol::lol:

Ken Cooke - 6-2-2013 at 03:09 PM

Great photos, Ateo. Great commentary on the 'revived' rider! :yes:

TMW - 6-2-2013 at 03:49 PM

Ateo, I heard that several sportsman bikes made it to Mikes turnoff before the pros with a couple in front of 1X and several in front of the other pros. How many sportsman bikes came by your pit before your bike came in. I also heard the 4th or 5th bike at the finish was a sportsman bike.

Correcamino - 6-2-2013 at 04:07 PM

Superb report, Ateo , thank you. Marvellous pictures!

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 04:09 PM

TW: I would estimate about 10-12 sportsman bikes and 1 quad came thru before 1X did, followed 10 minutes later by 4X.

willardguy - 6-2-2013 at 04:15 PM

on a sad note I just heard chuck neugebaurer on the 15X bike was found dead on the course of an apparent heart attack.
RIP Chuck :(

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 04:22 PM

Willardguy:

What a bummer. I hope he went quickly and with minimal pain. Do you know where they found him?

rts551 - 6-2-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
on a sad note I just heard chuck neugebaurer on the 15X bike was found dead on the course of an apparent heart attack.
RIP Chuck :(

heard that on the radio... no details since they are waiting for notification to the family

willardguy - 6-2-2013 at 04:47 PM

im hesitant to paste something from baja ****** but this is all i've seen on this :no:

He ran the low 500 2013 yesterday reached A Pits his team saw it came very pale to get very thirsty and told him that it seemed to be a heat stroke which had to abandon the race and replied: "I will arrive to the finish line let me run" forward some fans saw him along the path and stopped to help him with water Mojandolo and dale to take and he said to them "I wanted to continue" and I moved in the second Pits his team returned to give water and your bike team told him that he had to stop running because it looked very bad, too tired! And he replied: "CORRERE death" more forward was his motorcycle pulled and a few meters the was already lying lifeless, apparently of a heart attack. His close friends say that he already knew that was going to die, had problems of the heart, and he wanted to die doing what more he liked and wanted to die in ssa BAJA 500."

rts551 - 6-2-2013 at 05:00 PM

Lots of speculation right now. He helped some of our ATV teams from tie to time (along with his sponsor swimsuit illustrated). Heat sounds like a definite problem. Was not aware of any problems with his heart.

[img][/img]

HelloMrSoul - 6-2-2013 at 08:50 PM

I'd like to add a couple of bits (per Ateo's email asking as much).
Robby rode over half the race and it turns out he had a high speed low slide crash early on which brought Honda up to within 15 seconds. Robby ended up riding with a severely sprained ankle for a couple of hundred miles! In his 2nd section, taking over for Dave, Robby gained three minutes on Honda though riding with the sprained ankle. Taylor is new to Baja and his sections were chosen accordingly as racing in Baja is unique because the course is on roads and trails that are not closed and spectators play chicken. Taylor rocked and I'd expect to see him invited back. Little doubt Steve would have caught Honda with Robby getting on to finish them off but, like the 1000, the story is written different. Basically, the one guy everyone of us worried about is the only guy who didn't get hurt. Which just proves the power of mass worrying.
The sportsman and I think some other classes were forced to cut the course short supposedly to keep them far ahead of the trophy trucks. A bit of a mess it was as the fastest bikes were in difficult places trying to make passes on guys who are not used to being passed by the class 22 open pro guys because they are usually long gone.
Once the guys have their race reports up I'll post links. Generally Enduro360.com is the best place for news.
I took several pictures in the tack barn where the ranchers were making the ice chests and rope out of rawhide. An old friend of mine in Escondido had a grandfather we used to hang with and he was one of two or three very famous guys for making that stuff. It was all over his place there and the craftsmanship is stunning.
Also, these Meling guys have very pretty wives.
As always Ateo is an awesome driving partner because he does all the driving.
Will post some photos too!
Now only two and a half months until Vegas to Reno!

[Edited on 6-3-2013 by HelloMrSoul]

[Edited on 6-3-2013 by HelloMrSoul]

Ateo - 6-2-2013 at 09:31 PM

Perfect, HelloMrSoul.

See you again someday.

Jon

woody with a view - 6-3-2013 at 12:31 PM

i want a rawhide cooler!!!!

Ateo - 6-4-2013 at 02:11 PM

Honda coming in behind sportsman 271x:

Pictures from my friend.

Ateo - 6-4-2013 at 02:13 PM

Ateo - 6-4-2013 at 02:17 PM

BajaRat - 6-4-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i want a rawhide cooler!!!!

Right! And thanks Jon for the great photos and story.
Speedy healing to your team mates. :cool: