BajaNomad

Fidocomiso

comitan - 6-6-2013 at 11:14 AM

IRS ruling on Fidocomiso.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/bulletins/7e36...

DavidE - 6-6-2013 at 11:41 AM

And your personal conclusion of this ruling is...

CortezBlue - 6-6-2013 at 12:13 PM

I pity the poor fools who filed all of those documents for all of those back years to now find that Uncle Sam has more info on them than they require and need to know!

I took the chance, called the IRS and asked, on 3 different calls, what their opinion was, and got 2 NO's and 1 Yes.

I took the majority rule and never filed.

Told ya! :saint:

[Edited on 6-6-2013 by CortezBlue]

SFandH - 6-6-2013 at 02:45 PM

Looks like situation 3 in the document at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-13-14.pdf is the pertinent situation for most. The document states in this case "the MLT is not a trust".

MLT = Mexican Land Trust = Fideicomiso.

john68 - 6-7-2013 at 06:26 AM

this from the law firm that obtained the ruling:

http://btj.rosstaxadvisors.com/index.php/fideicomisos-are-no...

capitolkat - 6-7-2013 at 12:36 PM

This is consistent with what my tax advisor told me 7 years ago and that was the reason I never filed. The folks I saw, most of the time, advocating the filings were those who had the most to gain- tax advisors who handled filings or made money from assisting property owners with their taxes

comitan - 6-7-2013 at 01:04 PM

Home
Services
Our People
Resources
Contact
You are here: Home Fideicomisos Are Not Trusts Per Revenue Ruling
Fideicomisos (Mexican Land Trusts) Are Not Trusts—Really, This Time
font size Print Email
As we previously reported, the Mexican legislature is working to change the Mexican Constitution so that non-Mexicans will be allowed to directly own coastal Mexican real estate without the use of a fideicomiso (if the property is for residential use only). Today, we are happy to announce that U.S. taxpayers can continue to hold their Mexican real estate—whether residential or not—through fideicomisos without worrying about the arcane U.S. foreign-trust reporting rules. Amy Jetel’s work helping U.S. taxpayers with this issue over the last few years has finally led to a Revenue Ruling holding that a fideicomiso (called a “Mexican Land Trust” in the ruling) is not a “trust” for U.S. tax purposes.

In 2012, Ms. Jetel obtained a private letter ruling (PLR 201245003) from the IRS on behalf of a client who owned coastal Mexican real estate. In that PLR, the IRS held that the client’s Mexican Land Trust was not truly a “trust” under U.S. tax law. Accordingly, the U.S. reporting requirements applicable to “foreign trusts” did not apply. However, a PLR is binding only for the taxpayer who requested it; therefore, although the PLR was a good indication of how the IRS would rule for another taxpayer with the same facts, it could not be cited as authority. This new Revenue Ruling is binding authority that all taxpayers can rely on.

Thus, if you have been filing Forms 3520 and 3520-A for your fideicomiso, you can stop. However, we recommend that you file forms that are properly marked “final” so that the IRS will not expect any more forms from you. If you need help filing final Forms 3520 and 3520-A, we would be happy to help.

To view Revenue Ruling 2013-14, click here

To view PLR 201245003, click here

To read Amy Jetel’s Trusts & Estates article on PLR 201245003, click here