BajaNomad

Loreto report, June 6 - long lines and sea turtles, and some fish too

bill erhardt - 6-6-2013 at 04:03 PM

As it starts to feel more like summer in Loreto, some bigger dorado are starting to show up with the schoolies that have been around for the past month, or so, and billfish are showing more interest in lures and live bait offerings. Tuesday, I caught five dorado, including a 40 pounder, and also a small yellowfin tuna surprise. Today I struck out on tuna, but caught three more dorado to about 20# and a sailfish. The seaweed paddies that have been around for a while are starting to hold some nice fish and it should only get better as the flying fish start to spawn.

Also this morning, 41 NM out of the marina I came across the first long line I've seen this year. It was equipped with big circle hooks baited with cut bait. I don't know what was the intended quarry, but the only thing hooked up was a sea turtle, I granted it a reprieve and sent it on its way. The line was adrift with flags at either end and it was not a real high tech operation with Clorox bottles for floats. The floats were connected with floating poly rope perfect for snagging unwary boats. The line finished the day in a few more pieces than it began it.

One end of the long line.

Clorox bottle float

Today's biggest dorado - barely a keeper

One of Arturo's pangas on a nice paddy between the islands

The captain showing of a nice dorado while his client works another.

Bringing the second aboard.

[Edited on 6-6-2013 by bill erhardt]

[Edited on 6-6-2013 by bill erhardt]

baitcast - 6-6-2013 at 05:35 PM

Good for you Bill!
Rob

DaliDali - 6-6-2013 at 05:35 PM

Thanks Bill for rescuing the Tortuga and putting your filet knife to good use on the poly.

Udo - 6-6-2013 at 05:43 PM

Great rescue, Bill!

Loretana - 6-6-2013 at 05:57 PM

Bill, you are a gentleman and a scholar!
Love the photos.

msteve1014 - 6-6-2013 at 06:42 PM

Nice job Bill. In La Bocana the lobster guys leave 100 meters of poly line floating off of a trap 50 feet down. You really have to watch the current as you run out.

CJ - 6-6-2013 at 06:59 PM

Good report Bill. Looks like there's nice fish inside around those patties. Guess Ill save some gas :cool:

Phil C - 6-6-2013 at 07:07 PM

Thanks Bill, We all wish we could do as well!

chuckie - 6-6-2013 at 07:22 PM

Good on ya mate!

aguachico - 6-7-2013 at 07:06 AM

Thanks for the report and fotos Bill. Good job on the turtle release.

BajaRat - 6-7-2013 at 07:53 AM

You made our day Bill.... Thanks. What is that Suzi 300 pushin ?

Russ - 6-7-2013 at 08:26 AM

We are watching your reports hoping the fish will move north for our tourney. I'm getting reports of some dorado but folks are still chasing yellow tail up here. Very foggy this morning.

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by Russ]

bill erhardt - 6-7-2013 at 12:03 PM

BajaRat.....The boat is a Bluewater 23T.

baitcast - 6-8-2013 at 07:04 AM

Bill have you given any more thought to your need for a experienced deck hand? Having a old sailor around might come in handy one of these days,always luv your stuff.
Rob

bill erhardt - 6-8-2013 at 03:51 PM

Thanks, Rob.
That suggestion is still under consideration and if I do decide to take on a deckhand your name is at the top of the list of candidates.

Ken Bondy - 6-8-2013 at 04:27 PM

Way to go Bill!!! Thanks for the nice rescue and dismantling!!!