BajaNomad

Where was this photo taken?

bajadogs - 6-7-2013 at 12:32 AM

Anybody???:smug:

Tijuana_cheaters-haha.jpg - 47kB

BooJumMan - 6-7-2013 at 05:06 AM

Tijuana_cheaters-haha.jpg ??? Did I win???

:D

ligui - 6-7-2013 at 05:17 AM

Mexico ? :bounce:

Mariz - 6-7-2013 at 05:26 AM

From right there, next to the outcropping on the left...;)

Curt63 - 6-7-2013 at 05:26 AM

Central Baja

woody with a view - 6-7-2013 at 05:35 AM

road to LA Bay.

windgrrl - 6-7-2013 at 06:23 AM

Heading east to Puerto Escondido?

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by windgrrl]

Phil C - 6-7-2013 at 06:50 AM

Montevideo?

bajadogs - 6-7-2013 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
Montevideo?

Yep, from the top of the cliffs looking west.

David K - 6-7-2013 at 08:23 AM

Great photo site. Was there anything special to see up there? (Besides the view)

bajadogs - 6-7-2013 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great photo site. Was there anything special to see up there? (Besides the view)

We did a long hike along the top side. It was very interesting terrain with lots of large jagged rocks and some very green areas where water must gather. I have never seen this area so dry. There was absolutely no sign of human activity.

David K - 6-7-2013 at 12:18 PM

That's a great photo! I love that part of Baja. Thanks.

Phil C - 6-7-2013 at 12:40 PM

When we were there once, there was a hawk,(eagle?) nest in the rocks just above the paintings.It was occupied. Spent the night there a few times, if you go on past there is an interesting meadow a little farther along.....

bacquito - 6-7-2013 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
Montevideo?

Yep, from the top of the cliffs looking west.

Where is Montevideo? I do not find it in the Alamanac.

Phil C - 6-7-2013 at 04:48 PM

I think it's "El" Montivedo, and it's not a town, it's a pintura site near Bajia de los Angles. Explore, you'll find it!

Skipjack Joe - 6-7-2013 at 05:25 PM

Wonderful sweeping landscape.

I don't believe I've ever been there.

David K - 6-7-2013 at 05:56 PM

Two miles south of the Bahia de los Angeles highway, on the San Borja road, take the single teack going to the east about 6-7 miles. Road goes alongside a cliff and it is the site of much rock art. Called Montevideo. 2WD okay with high clearance.

bacquito - 6-7-2013 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
I think it's "El" Montivedo, and it's not a town, it's a pintura site near Bajia de los Angles. Explore, you'll find it!

Thanks

Bob H - 6-7-2013 at 08:45 PM

There are very similar painted mountains to the West of Mex-5 from San Felipe to Mexicali. Very colorful... I have a great photo of them somewhere, but I think it was before digital.

bajadogs - 6-7-2013 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Two miles south of the Bahia de los Angeles highway, on the San Borja road, take the single teack going to the east about 6-7 miles. Road goes alongside a cliff and it is the site of much rock art. Called Montevideo. 2WD okay with high clearance.

It's narrow and I would not recommend it in a 2wd. There is a lot of deep soft riverbed sand and it could be a month before the next person rolled up to find your bones.

DO NOT do this unless you have a reliable 4X4 with high clearance. The road is narrow too so my Ram has lots of fresh brush and cacti scrapes down the side.

After instilling all this fear, I have to admit this is one of the most beautiful, tranquil places I have ever been.

Bring lots of water.

David K - 6-7-2013 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:

It's narrow and I would not recommend it in a 2wd. There is a lot of deep soft riverbed sand and it could be a month before the next person rolled up to find your bones.

DO NOT do this unless you have a reliable 4X4 with high clearance. The road is narrow too so my Ram has lots of fresh brush and cacti scrapes down the side.

After instilling all this fear, I have to admit this is one of the most beautiful, tranquil places I have ever been.

Bring lots of water.

It is always better to have 4WD when off pavement, indeed... However, on that road I have never needed to use 4WD and that was many times going in... So, I guess it depends on your driving skill or vehicle or of course conditions, which do change in Baja. The tallest boojums in Baja may be along this road as well (per Neal Johns) ... In 2000, a boojum that was about 80 feet tall was blown over the road by a storm, and the remains of it lasted for several years... I have photos of the trunk... and fallen remains.

bajadogs - 6-8-2013 at 02:16 AM

I stand by my experience from 2 weeks ago. That road was more solid 10 years ago. It is very soft now and I would not recommend anyone drive that far without a vehicle that can handle soft sand, miles and miles of soft deep gravel, perhaps because of the dry spell. My 4X4 was digging in big time. I'm not trying to sell trucks here. I just want to give fair warning - do not do this now without a vehicle that can handle soft, deep sand.

David K - 6-8-2013 at 05:03 PM

Thank you, as it has been a few years since my last drive there!

As always anytime you leave the pavement, 4WD is the best choice. Since this road begins off another dirt road and not directly off a highway, I presumed whoever goes already is comfortable being off pavement.

Deep sand, gravel is far easier to drive on if you deflate your tires about 50%, even with 4WD... and it works for 2WD vehicles too (all 4 tires).

The road up to Montevideo and beyond was not just made for tourists, but is used by ranchers and prospectors, who typically do not own 4WDs. They are quite good at driving in dirt in their trucks! It was made about 1963, and first reported in the 1967 edition of the Lower California Guidebook.

What is great about Baja Nomad, are these up-to-date reports on the latest conditions! Thank you bajadogs...