BajaNomad

New Liability Insurance requirements

Osprey - 6-8-2013 at 10:03 AM

The recent Gringo Gazette article indicates Oct for the beginning date of a new Proof of Insurance law on Baja's Federal Highways.

I've had problems getting such coverage because I have a Mexican driver's license, no U.S. driver's license (I have not returned to the U.S. in the last 19 years), Mexican plates and imported cars registered in Mexico.

Anybody on the board, gringo or Mexican purchased liablility only on cars and people who never leave Baja? Most gringo owned agencies have a problem with this situation. I guess I need to ask a typical Mexican driver in Baja Sur where he or she buys car insurance but those folks are rare in little villages like this one where I live.

woody with a view - 6-8-2013 at 10:21 AM

or be like the (stereo)typical Mexican and scoff at this requirement!

:lol:

p.s. get the foam board and hang ten, or eleven!:light:

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by woody with a view]

chippy - 6-8-2013 at 12:24 PM

Go to a local ins.agency. I have liability on all my mexican plated cars. AXA is the company. It was around 2600 pesos a year for my sub. The wifes Jetta was less.

DavidE - 6-8-2013 at 01:02 PM

Baja California, or Baja California Sur?

Like the Dakotas or Carolinas, or Virginias.

Riom - 6-8-2013 at 01:13 PM

I get insurance for my mexican-plated car (and Mexican license) through a local broker in San Felipe (Alanis). There should be something similar in your area, especially now with the requirement to show insurance when renewing plates. As you say, none of the other local agencies aimed at gringos could help.

Bancomer (and maybe other banks) do car insurance. Their quote wasn't very competitive for my vehicle, but could be worth trying anyway.

Rob

bajalinda - 6-8-2013 at 03:18 PM

We get our insurance at Inbursa Seguros (at Banco Inbursa) on Bravo in La Paz. It's way up Bravo a couple of blocks above the main Bancomer office. Last year's policy was just under $1,900.00 pesos.

We also have Mexican plates and Mexican drivers licenses. Thanks for the reminder - we need to renew this month!