BajaNomad

Fishing and diving Sacramento Reef / Geronimo Island- info please

Curt63 - 6-8-2013 at 03:40 PM

What can you tell me about fishing and diving these spots?

Can I get a panga out of San Carlos to take me out there?

Has anyone ever gone out there with Ed Lusk from Baja's Best?

What else do I need to know?

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by Curt63]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-8-2013 at 04:05 PM

Hola Curt63,

May i suggest you sign onto and post on " bloodydecks.com " in the baja mexico section ?

i am sure you will receive many comments on your inquiry.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Ken Bondy - 6-8-2013 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
What can you tell me about fishing and diving these spots?

Can I get a panga out of San Carlos to take me out there?

Has anyone ever gone out there with Ed Lusk from Baja's Best?

What else do I need to know?

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by Curt63]

It's been a long time, but I thought diving Sacramento reef was spectacular. Beautiful, lush living reef with tons of life including pelagics, mobulas, large schools of toro jacks, lots of small stuff on the reef. I've probably dived it four or five times, once from the Rio Rita, the other times from the great old Liveaboard Baja Explorador.

woody with a view - 6-8-2013 at 04:32 PM

i know guys who launch from ER and half way between ER and san carlos. the co-ops for each place can only fish their spot. when you going?

Sac reef

dpwahoo - 6-8-2013 at 05:48 PM

Ive fished sac reef, and I thought it may be to deep to dive. Maybe 250 feet or so. Am I incorrect?

woody with a view - 6-8-2013 at 06:24 PM

Curt

i'll get the fine details from my bud. stay tuned, unless someone else chimes in.

Ken Bondy - 6-8-2013 at 06:43 PM

I blew it. I was thinking of San Diego Reef, not Sacramento Reef. San Diego Reef is just north of La Paz Bay. I have so few connected braincells. Sorry......

Curt63 - 6-9-2013 at 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info everybody.

As I try to line up a trip for July 11, is anybody interested in coming?

woody with a view - 6-9-2013 at 01:31 PM

i'm in in a hot minute if you can move the trip to the July 4 weekend.

beachbum1A - 6-10-2013 at 07:16 AM

You can hire pangeros out of Punta Baja to take you there - either for fishing or diving. Much cheaper than going through Ed L..

dean miller - 6-10-2013 at 07:37 AM

Fishing and diving Sacramento Reef / Geronimo Island- info please

* What can you tell me about fishing and diving these spots?

* What else do I need to know?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Sacramento Reef -Named after a sailing ship which hit the reef.

The reef was first dove in the early 1960s. Bob Rutherford organized a trip of LA County UW instructors to the reef on a rather large sailing boat called the Double Eagle out of Newport beach harbor .

The trip was to explore the unexplored and recover gold from the California gold fields -- but the gold was all dust - no gold was found.

The trip was in a very narrow window of opportunity of diving and was a success A number of great artifacts were recovered and huge Lobsters were taken all in the 10 plus pound class.

The late great pioneer UW photographer and author Bob Kendal did take a number of photographs and several feet of movies, which are still in the possession of his widow.

The second attempt to dive the reef was in the 1970s from a SD based boat. The trip was not a success due to bad weather which is the norm for the area and was aborted as just not a valid sport diving destination.

In the subsequent years I have attempted to dive the reef with out success.

But have a go at it and report back

SDM