BajaNomad

Surprises in Palmas Bay

Osprey - 6-16-2013 at 07:01 AM

Another surprising East Cape fishing day.

As I clambered into Leonardo’s panga and we shoved off for another day of fishing Palmas Bay I was thinking of a friend who is chasing Giant Trevally in the waters around Mauritius Island near Africa. I’m wondering if I’ll catch a few Jack Crevalle, our local variety that are smaller but not a whit less furious when hooked. It is 9 AM and we are taking our time because there is really no bait to be had at first light, the sierra are not biting and we’ll be fishing for dorado and marlin very close to shore.

On our way out we trolled our smallest hoochies and I caught two or three small bonito for bait. About 4 miles out we joined about 20 private and charter boats working the area which has been productive over the last few days. With a box full of plastics, feathers, cedar plugs in every tone and color combo we cruised along with the others and baited with ballyhoo and bonito like our competitors as we encountered marlin in almost every quarter of a 5 mile quadrant of clear, blue and now calm sea.

There was constant action on the surface and Leonardo was practically beside himself in wonder as we watched huge Jack Crevalle in feeding frenzies gorging themselves on trumpet fish mating on the surface. Later we saw virtual schools of marlin seeking the same easy prey and because there are little other edibles around (the sardines never even showed up this year) we had to be satisfied with the fun of catch and release on a few big barrilete negro on light tackle.

On the way back in we trolled right over the top of a school of trumpets and I got the idea that I will make a couple lures up that mimic the long, many colored reef denizens from lengths of red garden hose. I know full well that the mating/feasting thing won’t last until I have the lures in hand but if it ever happens again they’ll be on the boat.

Veteran bait guys like Leonardo hate the jacks -- he calls them “Assassinos” because they come in the bay in uncountable numbers and literally wipe out the bait sometimes ruining what ordinarily would be productive areas for sport fish of all kinds.

While the captain and his son put the boat on the trailer I had a chance for a nice little swim in the now 84° waters along the shore. Just the swim alone was worth the day of few fish, many surprises.

baitcast - 6-16-2013 at 11:37 AM

Sounds like a fun and interesting day to me,never thought a Trumpet fish being a bait for anything,something new everytime out.
Rob

Frank - 6-16-2013 at 05:59 PM

Thanks Jorge, I hope to be doing same in a few sleepless nights.

woody with a view - 6-16-2013 at 06:19 PM

cmon Frank, why can't you sleep? you know how the road will be, you know how long it'll take to get there and unwind.

that only leaves the minor details like if it will be "the best trip in a long time" and other trivial chiiite.

BTW, say hi to Randy if you still see him.

[Edited on 6-17-2013 by woody with a view]

Udo - 6-16-2013 at 06:40 PM

The 84 degree water's swim, sound better than the fishing, George.

Frank - 6-16-2013 at 07:35 PM

Excitement Woody, nothing more. :lol:

found a picture of what we were seeing in the bay

Osprey - 6-17-2013 at 11:04 AM

pacifictrumpet4.jpg - 31kB

Skipjack Joe - 6-17-2013 at 12:02 PM

Never seen a pink trumpetfish. A ladyfish - yes.

Maybe she's a strumpetfish.

[Edited on 6-17-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Osprey - 6-17-2013 at 01:14 PM

The books on these flashy creatures show them to be like chameleons -- they feed head down trying to resemble sea fans moved about by the current. It just amazes me that they choose to mate on the surface in 400 feet of water many miles from the reefs they inhabit. There are all kinds of sea creatures who congregate on the surface for mating so maybe I shouldn't be surprised --- could be one of those "Not here Henry, meet me someplace where we won't be recognized by the neighbors".

wessongroup - 6-17-2013 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
The books on these flashy creatures show them to be like chameleons -- they feed head down trying to resemble sea fans moved about by the current. It just amazes me that they choose to mate on the surface in 400 feet of water many miles from the reefs they inhabit. There are all kinds of sea creatures who congregate on the surface for mating so maybe I shouldn't be surprised --- could be one of those "Not here Henry, meet me someplace where we won't be recognized by the neighbors".

:):)

BajaBlanca - 6-17-2013 at 03:12 PM

That swim sure sounds delightful!

Trumpetfish catcher, never leave home without one!

BigOly - 6-17-2013 at 03:50 PM

Udo - 6-17-2013 at 05:58 PM

Superb photos, BigOly...

Are those your photos that you took?
If so...you were extremely lucky!:yes:

BigOly - 6-17-2013 at 06:16 PM

Udo... Debbie (wifie) shot these, bless her heart in many ways.