BajaNomad

Bulls only results and PICS???

chuckie - 6-24-2013 at 05:18 AM

Where are they?????

Russ - 6-24-2013 at 06:42 AM

I didn't play this year but will try to scrounge up some info and pix.

chuckie - 6-24-2013 at 07:30 AM

Thanks

chuckie - 6-25-2013 at 04:59 AM

COME ON! At least tell us the weight of the winning fish....

Pescador - 6-25-2013 at 06:14 AM

The winning fish was 12.53 pounds. Needless to say I was cracked that I released an 18 or 19.

Pescador - 6-25-2013 at 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Where are they?????

Where were you? I needed another Triumph in the shotgun start.:lol::lol:

Russ - 6-25-2013 at 06:27 AM

Sorry about the lack of info and photos. Haven't received anything but was told there will be some kind of press release soon for me to post.

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by Russ]

chuckie - 6-25-2013 at 06:47 AM

Bummer..12 lb fish is nothing to brag about....I did not fish the tournament, but have been catching and releasing bigger fish than that..gonna wait a few more days and head south.....or not

Russ - 6-25-2013 at 07:56 AM

The winner got just under $100 a pound for that fish:o

BajaNomad - 6-25-2013 at 09:02 AM

"2nd place in Punta Chivato Tourney. Less than a pound away from first."

BajaNomad - 6-25-2013 at 09:39 AM

Side note from an email in the inbox last night:

"just got back today from the chivato dorado tournament... the dorado tournament was great fun, fair conditions and small but at least some decent numbers of fish."

Press release from Bulls Only Tourney (photos added)

Russ - 6-27-2013 at 01:06 PM

Release # 7, Punta Chivato Bulls Only Dorado Tournament, Final report, June 27th, 2013
Friday, June 21st, was our Captains dinner. Over 100 people attended, bought raffle tickets, enjoyed a terrific dinner barbecued by our local chefs, bid on the Calcutta auctioned off by our Chairman, Phil Davies, and were introduced to our sponsors: US Battery, BajaBound Insurance, Oh Boy Oberto!, Tecate, El Hotelito and Hotel Hacienda. These valued supporters made our cash tournament possible! We thank them for being on our team.
June 22nd started off a little rough and foggy, so photos of our 21 boat, 58 angler start, weren’t available, but that didn’t dampen the enthusiasm. We were all ready, in the water for the 8:00 a.m. start, and zoomed off to head out for the BIG one! Well, it turned out that the adult dodos were in bed sleeping. BUT, there were lots of their kids out playing and waiting for the chance to be someone’s big winner OR fish tacos for Sunday night!
Weighmaster Jere Summers weighed in 16 fish that the anglers brought to him for prize consideration. Lots of fish were caught, but only one fish per angler could be counted. Excitement mounted as boats came in and fish came out!
Our winners were:
1st place, at 12.14 pounds, was won by John Wood on The Tecate Boat (Tecate is also his radio call name!) $1,000.00 was his prize money along with a hand painted Ibarra plate, and that was the start of a grin that is still pasted on his face!
2nd place, at 11.26 pounds, was won by Nathan Burbey on the boat Rodeo Clown and this young man walked away with $500.00 and an Ibarra plate for his efforts!
3rd place, at 10.84 pounds, was won by Eduardo Santillon on the boat Eduardo 1, from Santa Rosalia. He won $250.00 and a lovely plate from Ibarra Pottery in La Paz, for his fishing day. He’ll be back!
Our Youth winner for the Sunday Events was Erin Alexander. She bested all the kids to win a beautiful Ibarra plate for her participation!
Saturday evening a Baja Style Hawaiian Luau was held at the Hotel Hacienda. A full moon lit the party setting and wonderful food and libations were abundant and delicious. A large portion of this event benefited our HAPC charities. Thank you! About 90 people attended this beautiful dinner and the reviews were fantastic!
Sunday, an “all you can eat” brunch was held at the same location and about 60 people bought tickets to taste the dishes prepared by Los Chibatos restaurant. Another feast for the feasters!
Sunday afternoon from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. a Kids Day Event was held on the beach for about 20 participants. We hardly ever have so many munchkins running rampant here! Mark and Monica Fodor kept them all busy with SO many games, in the sand and water, we think if you look closely you will see gills and fins sprouting! What fun!
Sunday at 6:00 p.m. was the start of the Awards dinner, Calcutta winners announcements, raffle prize ticket winners, and presentation of the tournament winners cash and plaques. This was a full evening of excitement and anticipation! The Calcutta is always a big hit for the gamblers and grossed $1,935.00.
1st place received 35%, $677.00.
2nd place received 22 ˝ %, $435.00.
3rd. place received 12 ˝ %, $240.00
HAPC received 30% for $581.00.
The tournament is grateful to our sponsors, our raffle donors, our anglers, all participants, and every wonderful volunteer who gave their time to make this one of the best events we’ve had in our 17 year history! The fish were smaller but the smiles were bigger! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

1st place

2nd place

3rd place

youth winner

Prizes & Sponsors

[Edited on 6-27-2013 by Russ]

chuckie - 6-27-2013 at 01:37 PM

kool, sounds like a fun time...A/O today still seems to be no big fish, lots of lil ones....I am gonna hit my snapper hole tommorrow and maybe chase Dorado NEXT week...

woody with a view - 6-27-2013 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I am gonna hit my snapper hole tommorrow and maybe chase Dorado NEXT week...

summertime, and the living's EZ......

Hook - 6-27-2013 at 04:07 PM

After catching nothing but dinks in the above mentioned tournament, I'm going out 30 miles from THIS side, tomorrow, and see if I can find some size. Weather permitting, of course.

The tournament was a lot of fun and the people of Chivato are a great bunch. I plan on going each year, now that I have the anchorage and the hotel dialed in.

Food was awesome, especially the luau.

Biggest disappointment was the weather not allowing me to fish on the way over or the way back from Sonora. The return, especially, was unfortunate; 15-20 knots and 3-5 footers directly on my starboard beam. I occasionally had to turn into them when they became steep-faced. But the interval was manageable at about 8 seconds.

The weather the day of the tournament was nice; much better than Buoy or any other service predicted.

Imagine my surprise when I'm sitting in the hotel bar and in comes the Playa Buenaventura folks; Mark, Olivia and Nathan. Naturally, we got around to the whole Munoz/turtle soup subject, eventually. I have to say; Mark is the most generous and likeable guy. Even with the adversity of a dead battery in his wheels, he was always offering to make a run for ice or a run for diesel for me. I liked the guy, immediately. Great sense of humor; rather wry, just like mine. Munoz must be a complete dick head.............

And Olivia is a gas. Gal speaks her mind and is a ton of fun. These people deserve better than they've gotten over the last few years, IMO. They are genuine.

Special thanks to Pam Oxley, Ken Wright of El Hotelito.........and our very own Russ, who was my internet connection via marine radio each day. He did warn me about the return trip...........but I had adventure in my blood that day.

BajaBlanca - 6-27-2013 at 04:45 PM

The locals from La Bocana were not able to go this year.......last year they won first and second places! Sounds like everyone had a good time.

Russ - 6-27-2013 at 04:52 PM

bumped to add photos (above)