BajaNomad

Happy Tourists Again!

DianaT - 6-26-2013 at 08:46 PM

Yes, we are no longer homeowners in Baja, we have returned to being tourists and that is a good thing for us. By far, the most difficult thing is that we will not see all the good friends we have made in Bahia Asuncion as often. We will see them, just not as often.

For us, change is something that keeps us going. Gees, we have been married for 23 years and during that time, we have lived in 9 different places in 4 different countries! Asuncion was a long time for us and we will be back to visit as carefree tourists.

It has been a great experience and now we will have more time for travel to other places --- the Mexico mainland is calling as are many other places. While it is not for everyone, our philosophy has been that change keeps the mold away.

Happy Travels!

fandango - 6-26-2013 at 09:36 PM

Congratulations on the sale of your house.

Safe and fun travels and remember to continue to post your great photos.

DENNIS - 6-27-2013 at 06:21 AM

Good for you, Diane. Patience and perseverance. congrats.
Stay in touch.

tripledigitken - 6-27-2013 at 07:21 AM

Very good news indeed. Happy for you both, now you can really enjoy your new chapter in life.

Ken

BajaBlanca - 6-27-2013 at 07:35 AM

Congrats on the sale! And may your tourist days continue full of wonder!

Udo - 6-27-2013 at 08:24 AM

It saddens me that we are not going to be neighbors, Diana.

WE will be at the house sometime today...we spent the night at Jardines last night, and should get to BA by 3 p.m.

We brought much stuff for the house, plus a new FOR RENT banner and some house flyers to post on an outside wall.

All the decorations are flip flop themed.

805gregg - 6-27-2013 at 09:42 AM

Good for you, who wants to be stuck going to the same place over and over

wessongroup - 6-27-2013 at 09:53 AM

Only hope you continue to post your pictures, from where ever you are ..... some "eye"

Thanks much :):)

[Edited on 6-27-2013 by wessongroup]

DianaT - 6-27-2013 at 11:13 AM

Thanks for the well wishes and we will still be around. We have just converted back to tourists.

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg

That is something that everyone should think about before they purchase a second home. It is why we never wanted a second home, but it happened and it was all good for the time period. We look very forward to returning to BA as tourists!

While we still traveled elsewhere, when you have a second home it keeps calling you back as it needs to be occupied and the maintenance on a beach front place is constant, But again, it was worth it.

Probably the other thing that played heavy in our decision to get serious about selling is the lack of decent health care. We are not getting any younger and when I fell and broke my nose and then when I screwed up knee, the lack of medical care was driven home as we faced the long uncomfortable drive back to the states. And among friends, we over and over saw medical emergencies that required trips to La Paz, Encenada or Tijuana. It is one of those risk vs benefit things and that is a very personal decision for everyone.

All and all, the best part of being there were the local people and getting to know the community. The people are what are calling us back to visit.

willardguy - 6-27-2013 at 11:16 AM

so can we expect a scathing tell-all expose about what really goes on out there:lol: congratulations on your new adventure!:D

DianaT - 6-27-2013 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
so can we expect a scathing tell-all expose about what really goes on out there:lol: congratulations on your new adventure!:D

You will have to wait for the book. :lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 6-27-2013 at 11:23 AM

Saludos!
Sadly limiting oneself to the Baja California peninsula in Mexico is like sitting down to a huge thanksgiving dinner and being limited to eating only cranberry sauce. Like visiting California and being limited to Yosemite valley. You're going to have a chance to love it all. It is addictive.

woody with a view - 6-27-2013 at 01:57 PM

glad we got to bump into you two down there. stay in touch!

CaboMagic - 6-27-2013 at 04:47 PM

Congratulations!
And on to a new chapter :-)
and sure forward to your awesome photos of the places as you visit and explore ..
All very best wishes ~ ~ T&L

DianaT - 6-27-2013 at 07:12 PM

DavidE, Mexico is addictive. Over the years we have been in all the states, and we LOVE the mainland. We just have not been there for about 9 years----way too long to stay away. And returning to Baja will also happen. Woody, we will stay in touch and if you ever decide you want to catch some of those little fighting fish, our guest room is being fixed up!

Lori, thanks and I need a new camera. Mine decided to quit and John's is making some real funny noises.

Health Care

Bajahowodd - 6-28-2013 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Thanks for the well wishes and we will still be around. We have just converted back to tourists.

Quote:

That is something that everyone should think about before they purchase a second home. It is why we never wanted a second home, but it happened and it was all good for the time period. We look very forward to returning to BA as tourists!

While we still traveled elsewhere, when you have a second home it keeps calling you back as it needs to be occupied and the maintenance on a beach front place is constant, But again, it was worth it.

Probably the other thing that played heavy in our decision to get serious about selling is the lack of decent health care. We are not getting any younger and when I fell and broke my nose and then when I screwed up knee, the lack of medical care was driven home as we faced the long uncomfortable drive back to the states. And among friends, we over and over saw medical emergencies that required trips to La Paz, Encenada or Tijuana. It is one of those risk vs benefit things and that is a very personal decision for everyone.

All and all, the best part of being there were the local people and getting to know the community. The people are what are calling us back to visit.

You make a salient point about access to quality health care. Asuncion is far from anything resembling that.

I have always wondered about the older folks that travel and even live full or part time in remote regions, and whether they ever considered this issue.

On the other hand, what in Big Pine passes for Cedars sinai or the Mayo Clinic?:lol:

805gregg - 6-28-2013 at 05:52 PM

Quote:
DavidE, Mexico is addictive. Over the years we have been in all the states, and we LOVE the mainland. We just have not been there for about 9 years----way too long to stay away. And returning to Baja will also happen. Woody, we will stay in touch and if you ever decide you want to catch some of those little fighting fish, our guest room is being fixed up!

Lori, thanks and I need a new camera. Mine decided to quit and John's is making some real funny noises.

You are going to love the mainland, it's booming over there, new roads, cars, trucks and semi's everywhere. The middle class is expanding with money to spend

DianaT - 6-28-2013 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
On the other hand, what in Big Pine passes for Cedars sinai or the Mayo Clinic?:lol:

OK, it is not the Mayo Clinic, but 15 miles away on a very good and fast road we have a new very nice well supplied hospital with a trauma center and a heliport on the roof. And the ride there can be in an ambulance with highly trained EMTs.

So if one suffers from a major medical episode around here, their chances of survival are far greater.

It is all a trade off. If we lived anywhere very close to Cedars Sinai, we would probably need their services to deal with stress. :biggrin:

Then again, where we travel at times is not exactly medical heaven.

DianaT - 6-28-2013 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You are going to love the mainland, it's booming over there, new roads, cars, trucks and semi's everywhere. The middle class is expanding with money to spend

Over the years we have seen many of the changes, but like other old folks we have such good memories of the way it was --- things like to make a long distance phone call in Palenque required a weeks wait and riding down the washed out dirt road on the mountain leaving San Cristobal on a second class bus. Or riding a bus from Durango to Matzalan down the Devils Backbone road with a driver who was falling asleep --- now that was terrifying.

But we still love it with all the new changes.

bajalinda - 6-29-2013 at 03:33 PM

Congratulations Diane and best wishes to you in your new adventures. We really enjoy your posts and hope you will continue to check in here.

DianaT - 6-29-2013 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalinda
Congratulations Diane and best wishes to you in your new adventures. We really enjoy your posts and hope you will continue to check in here.

Thanks -- we plan on still being a tourist in Baja from time to time.

rts551 - 6-30-2013 at 05:10 PM

congrats Diane and John. I know we will be in touch. you can visit anytime you are south.

DianaT - 6-30-2013 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
congrats Diane and John. I know we will be in touch. you can visit anytime you are south.

You bet we will be in touch!

Are you cooking in the heat right now our down south? My oldest son who builds challenge courses is just leaving Tuscon. He was there tearing down a ropes course for a local school. He was able to work at nights until the last day he needed to finish and working in the 112 heat made him quite ill.

We are on a cooling trend up here. It reached 108 today and it is predicted to be only 106 for the next three days and then it drops to 105. At least it is a dry heat so the swamp cooler works real well and is cheap to run and it does cool way down at night.