BajaNomad

Dills Are Bathing

DavidE - 6-27-2013 at 10:17 AM

And with these nice temperatures they should cure in a few days.

How about an offer of a thousand million billion thank you's for the spices?

We're going to have "PEEK-ohs" muy pronto.

Frank - 6-27-2013 at 02:51 PM

Your welcome David, sorry we couldn't get the grape leaves.

woody with a view - 6-27-2013 at 03:21 PM

how long do they last? save some for the surf fiesta, eh?

DavidE - 6-27-2013 at 04:13 PM

Being they have zero preservatives (minus salt) I would give them no more than a 30-day shelf life at 40F.

Remember, those lucky folks who can pass by the Miramar mercadito (the store in the rear) can score a pickle when these puppies are finished curing. Some are whole, others are very large slices. Try and arrive 9-5, I don't want to tie Eduardo or Vanessa down with pickle fetching duty. Because of Baja Blanca's outstanding community contributions she will end up with as many as she would like :)

BajaBlanca - 6-28-2013 at 08:56 AM

Whoa!!! Allelujah! I guess we can plan a trip north soon! Maybe next weekend for some shrimp tacos?

DavidE - 6-28-2013 at 09:42 AM

The perfume of curing pickles is wafting its way across my kitchen.

chuckie - 6-28-2013 at 02:34 PM

Dang you did it..I just dugout a jar of Gerties Garters Garlics that I put up 2 years ago..still not bad...

shari - 6-28-2013 at 02:50 PM

Blanca...if you come tomorrow for shrimp tacos you will also have to come over to our place for a jam session! bring some pickles! hahaha

[Edited on 6-28-2013 by shari]

BajaBlanca - 6-28-2013 at 03:35 PM

Cant come this weekend, but maybe next one. Have a blast at the jam session.

tickle my pickle

willardguy - 6-28-2013 at 04:39 PM

turns out tequila with a pickle back is a fairly common c-cktail, sporting names like "puerto rican hooker" "TJ hooker" and "tickle my pickle" they claim the key is dill pickle juice not so much kosher. now there's a reason to bust out the pickles!

DavidE - 6-28-2013 at 05:09 PM

Yeah if you dig through the cucumber bin you can find some really obscene looking suckers. I just asked Carniceria Sonora from GN (the wholesale place) to see if they can find a case of pepinitos for subsequent batches, 15 kg worth.

These babies go best with really gnarly white 6-year-old cheddar cheese, and a "favourite" from Canada, Red Oval FarmsŪ, stoned wheat crackers.

Pickled Pink

zforbes - 6-30-2013 at 07:49 AM

The next time you need grape leaves, let me know. I have a vine covering my front fence and am happy to share, assuming it's the season for leaves. They are still small, so not good for wrapping, but will serve for flavor.:light:

Brownies on order.

[Edited on 6-30-2013 by zforbes]

shari - 6-30-2013 at 01:53 PM

Carnecieria Sonora...yeah that's the place I buy our rock salt for smoking fish...they have it in kilo bags there...fantastic place! Having a Polish grandmother left me with a constant hankerin for garlic dills!

BajaBlanca - 6-30-2013 at 02:37 PM

Poles do love their pickles! I love them too but no Polish background here. Les got inspired and tried making some, but he says they already don't smell right. We are counting on your peek ohs, Dave! And i agree, pickles and a great cheese are a superb combo.

DavidE - 7-1-2013 at 03:30 PM

Snivel, Grobble @#$%^&! Whine Expletives Multiples Deleted...

Nothing but spilling my guts will work here...

The batch was an utter failure.

My fault...

The pickles turned out to be hollowed cucumber skin bags floating on a sea of brine...

I knew I shouldn't have rushed it, but I did anyway.

I used processed sodium chloride. A chemical sold as "salt".

Processed sodium chloride contains IODINE the most potent anti pathogen on the face of the earth. IODIZED SODIUM CHLORIDE. Not sea salt which is real salt.

Serves me right.

Triple servings of humble pie, with a "Dummie!" scoop on top.

I've got to get real salt, and some form of tannin in the next batch.

SIGH. Nobody's fault but my own...

bajagrouper - 7-1-2013 at 03:45 PM

Sorry to hear the latest, mine made with the recipe I gave came out perfect, I used the kosher salt and fresh dill but no pickle spices and they are identical to Clausen Pickles but a lot more crunch and snap...

Hook - 7-1-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Sorry to hear the latest, mine made with the recipe I gave came out perfect, I used the kosher salt and fresh dill but no pickle spices and they are identical to Clausen Pickles but a lot more crunch and snap...

Hmmmm.............I wonder if Tufesa could be persuaded to bring me a sample. Couldnt be any more expensive than from a NY Jewish Deli. :light:

'Course, the Yaquis might get them, right now.

BajaBlanca - 7-2-2013 at 07:15 AM

David! What a bummer! Les says that pickles to be pickled must be extremely fresh ones, recently picked??? So, perhaps you were not at fault at all.

If there are still shrimp tacos on Saturdays, i think a group of us might be headed up for some this Saturday at about 1:00. There is a first time Canadian visitor, i think he would enjoy the trip, plus a couple of amigos. We'll pick you up, David, if you are up for lunch on us!

Shari? Zoe? R u free?

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 07:21 AM

Dang!

shari - 7-2-2013 at 11:08 AM

Saturday at 1:00...you're ON!!! wanna meet at our place first? I'll let the gang know.

DavidE - 7-2-2013 at 11:23 AM

Thanks Blanca!
Yeah I am bummed out. But thanks to "True Blue NOMADS", I have enough spices to start over. Maybe shrimp tacos y some companionship would be the best Rx at the moment. There is nothing as pitiful as a bunch of soggy cucumber body bags floating in a sea of foamy brine. Hell, I may even drink a cerveza! The last being well out of memory, maybe last summer or something...