BajaNomad

Boomers!

chuckie - 6-28-2013 at 04:31 AM

Woke up at around 3AM! :oThunder and lightning, big wind gusts......No rain that I could see....in Mulege

Hook - 6-28-2013 at 05:08 AM

A present to you from the State of Sonora.:yes:

It rolled by, south of us on a westerly course. I got up at about 2am, MST, to check conditions (as I'm fishing today) and saw lots of lightning out in the central Sea. Glad to see they've actually moved over to the Pacific side, at this point.

chuckie - 6-28-2013 at 05:40 AM

Gee thanks! Did get a lil rain, still booming...I'll wave atcha..be on the water as well...

monoloco - 6-28-2013 at 06:28 AM

It rained here a little during the night but now the wind has shifted back to the NW, the temperature has dropped from 82º to 73º in the last 10 minutes, and the fog is rolling back in. I guess we just had a 3 day summer teaser.

Relampagos and Tribunadas

Mulegena - 6-28-2013 at 07:41 AM

The local fishermen watch the western sky each evening to predict tomorrow's ocean conditions. When the lightning is west-southwest, no worries. When the thunder and light show moves northward, they don't expect the fishing conditions to be good the next morning.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Woke up at around 3AM! :oThunder and lightning, big wind gusts......No rain that I could see....in Mulege

Shoulda taken a walk around the corner to our street, Chuckie.
Rained like heck over here-- for a short while-- rolled in fast and rolled on.
Stayed around long enough to drench the laundry hanging out. Got that rain-fresh scent now.

[Edited on 6-28-2013 by Mulegena]

chuckie - 6-28-2013 at 07:52 AM

Ventured out in the boat, turned around and came back in...ugly water...otra tiempo....

sancho - 6-28-2013 at 10:47 AM

I thaught you were refering to Baby Boomers, those
of us 55+ or so, I'll go take my nap

shari - 6-28-2013 at 11:03 AM

light cloud and 75 degrees here on the mid pacside today...perfect for staining and varnishing the ceiling board to go up next week! Got Juan on the rockpile too making a new planter outside the new rooms.

DavidE - 6-28-2013 at 12:47 PM

Su tronos

Bajaboy - 6-28-2013 at 01:33 PM

a few sprinkles in the desert and some rain spouts in the ocean...we'll see if it makes its way onshore

Mulegena - 6-28-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Relampagos and Tribunadas
"Tribunada?" :?:

As I understand the terms, relampagos are the lightning streaks and tribunadas refer to the whole experience of the summer storms that happen out on the Sea of Cortez, the hot night air and off-shore cloud-bank and the booming thunder and big-a@@ lightning that lights up the clouds orange from bottom to top.

It adds up to quite an experience. Fishermen here watch the evening clouds and read the night sky. No one wants to be out in the water when its happening. Can be lethal.

The location of the cells indicates what the water will be like the following morning, too. Here in Mulege, if the tribunada of the night occurred in the northwest, you can pretty well be sure fishing and diving is going to be lousy because the waters will be turbulent the next day.

Now you know as much as me.

Bajaboy - 6-29-2013 at 05:29 AM

Some thunder and lightning early this morning over the bay. No wind whatsoever....

Hook - 6-29-2013 at 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Ventured out in the boat, turned around and came back in...ugly water...otra tiempo....

What a difference 70 nm makes. One of the most comfortable days possible over here, with the cloud cover and the lack of wind till we got off the water at 2pm. Four dorado and one sail. Dorado still not large.

There was an extremely broad shouldered swell from the south that was occasionally about four feet. Very slow rollers. Very rare. We concluded that it must have been swell from the hurricane that finally made it up here. It dissipated during the day.

We got trace amounts of rain and a good deal of lightning last night, too.

chuckie - 6-29-2013 at 06:22 AM

We are having some of both, nice rain....What a beautiful language is Spanish....Tribunadas.....

shari - 6-29-2013 at 06:40 AM

I heard a low rumbling Trueno this morning...thunder...that sounded exactly like the earthquakes we had years ago...and there are a few drops of rain...dang, not gonna be any varnishing this morning anyway....good thing they are finishing the roof today.

cool I learned a new word...tribunada! gracias maestra