BajaNomad

Lou Federico's book

BajaBlanca - 7-1-2013 at 11:32 AM

I just finished reading Lou Federico's book One Hell of a Ride. For anyone in Baja, especially if you live on ejido land, a must read.

For all of those familiar with Mulege, Punta Chivato, and Punta Abreojos - what an amazing tale. For those who love flying - what an amazing tale. For those who want some inside scoops on famous folk like John Wayne and many, many others - what an amazing tale!

The reading seems to flow from one story into another and the history comes alive as Mr. Federico tells it like it is. Not a good read for the faint of stomach, be forewarned.

Funny how some words are misspelled: pango for panga, Abrejos for Abreojos, Ensanada for Ensenada......and I can't remember how Santispac was misnamed but it was something like Santo Pac.

All in all, one of the funnest reads I have had on Baja.

capt. mike - 7-1-2013 at 12:45 PM

great reading but he did stretch some of it. That from good friend Don Johnson.

DavidE - 7-1-2013 at 03:06 PM

Ya mean like Cannon and his dawn "Tarpon"?

DENNIS - 7-1-2013 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Ya mean like Cannon and his dawn "Tarpon"?

Now Now.....no blasphemy allowed. :lol:

DavidE - 7-1-2013 at 06:02 PM

Boy I can almost hear what was sure to have been gritos of "ˇCayete P-nche Gringo!" When I was there (Mulege) in 1964 the prisoners (except the rapist) wandered into town to sweep and load cargo and it sure as hell wasn't "dawn". We could hear shutters slamming shut against the coming heat. Young girls were toting buckets of water and the workers out in the date palms were stringing stuff like cheesecloth over the dates. The main activity for the people of Mulege was to somehow avoid dying of boredom one more day. Newcomers were treated like celebrities. The most famous guy we saw was the driver of the stake truck bringing rusty drums of gasoline and thick heavy cartons of Carta Blanca.

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 12:53 AM

Great book..and having been here long enough to have met some of the characters, am inclined to believe every word (almost)......

BajaBlanca - 7-2-2013 at 06:43 AM

I think those times must have amazing. What I most like about the book is the brutal honesty about people. John Wayne telling him he had been diagnosed with cancer? The dirty politics of Politicians? And the lure to do the impossible by building over and over. I sure hope there is a part 2 one day. And i hope some of you also take the time to tell your slice of life.

bufeo - 7-2-2013 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
great reading but he did stretch some of it. ....

That's "poetic license", Mike. :)

Allen R

yur right Allen

capt. mike - 7-2-2013 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
great reading but he did stretch some of it. ....

That's "poetic license", Mike. :)

Allen R

and i love every page of it!!

i hear he still lives must be upper 80s in socal.