BajaNomad

South Dakota Tags

chuckie - 7-1-2013 at 11:49 AM

Where do I go to start the process of getting SD tags? Do I have to use a 3rd party or can it be done online direct? Thanks

Here

bajaguy - 7-1-2013 at 12:21 PM

A phone call will start the process......

http://www.claycountysd.org/view.php?doc_id=310

Keri - 7-1-2013 at 12:29 PM

Hi Chuckie, For some reason I seem to think you live in Rosarito or in that area. If not disreguard this. But.... if you do Jackie at Click on .com next to Grand Baja and Puerto Nuevo just finiished doing mine for me. If interested I have her phone number,k

MICK - 7-1-2013 at 03:38 PM

called the office in clay county went online and filled out the forms sent them in and got our plates in two weeks no problem. The hardest part was figuring out how much to pay. just called them back and the walked me thru it
Good luck
Mick

plates & tags, pink slip from different offices

Mulegena - 7-1-2013 at 04:00 PM

Remember that the pink slip is not issued with the plates and tags.
Its mailed separately from the State of South Dakota and may take awhile.

Be sure you stay on top of things and get it.

I did not receive mine, forgot about it, and then had to jump hoops with a notarized letter & $10
and a 2-month wait to get one when I sold my car.

chuckie - 7-1-2013 at 04:12 PM

Thanks all, I will git er dun.....

DENNIS - 7-1-2013 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MICK
The hardest part was figuring out how much to pay. just called them back and the walked me thru it

That's the reason for the obligatory phone call to start the ball rolling........to tell them the details of your vehicle. [all are different with varying costs]

Just thought I'd add that to your comment, MICK. :biggrin:

DavidE - 7-1-2013 at 06:09 PM

Yeah I can see me paying a grand a year to not drive in the glorious state of Califraudia. The land of the highest gasoline tax of all 50 states. The state that has San Francisco whining that it HAS GOT TO start charging disabled drivers to start parking in blue hospital parking zones.

Well SHOOT! Someone has to pay for all those drones, microphones, and 15 mph zones.

chuckie - 7-1-2013 at 06:43 PM

Huh? Dunno what that has to do with South Dakota? just another whine maybe.? ...Folks who dont like living in California shoud rent a uhaul and leave,its their choice......

archetype flyover state

mtgoat666 - 7-1-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Huh? Dunno what that has to do with South Dakota? just another whine maybe.? ...Folks who dont like living in California shoud rent a uhaul and leave,its their choice......

ha! you ever been to south dakota? it is so miserable that the south dakotans had to go recruit expats living in baja to use up their supply of dusty license plates :lol::lol:

it's so bad that one of it's few claims to fame is the "bad lands"

wornout - 7-1-2013 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Where do I go to start the process of getting SD tags? Do I have to use a 3rd party or can it be done online direct? Thanks

Looks like your well on your way in the process and this thread will wind down but before it does, or somebody chines in and says you can't do this, here are a few of the details (I registered my first vehicle in SD 5 years ago and have registered a second vehicle and a travel trailer since:

1. The county requirements for plates are all different in SD and not all work the same as Clay County, some require a SD drivers license.
2. To register in Clay County, all you need is a US mailing address and a social security number.
3. A SD drivers license is NOT required to register vehicles in SD but it is required to get disability plates.

PS to Chuckie: That is exactly what I did in 1998 after living in California for 52 years. Well, actually I didn't rent a U-Haul, I bought a tandem trailer in Oregon, drove to my home in California, took three loads of furniture to Baja and then sold the tandem trailer.

rts551 - 7-1-2013 at 07:50 PM

There was stuff in the news a year ago about changing the requirements (because of neighboring states lawsuits). Has that all died down?

Hook - 7-1-2013 at 09:42 PM

I dont believe it has died down. But I am not at liberty to share what I know with the WWW. I personally will know more when we head north to renew our SD DL for the first time.

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 12:50 AM

Goats comment is beyond dumb....way beyond....

SFandH - 7-2-2013 at 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I dont believe it has died down. But I am not at liberty to share what I know with the WWW.

I love South Dakota license plate intrigue.

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 04:55 AM

If he tells, he'll have to join Snowden in Russia.....

Bajajorge - 7-2-2013 at 08:48 AM

Clay County folks are the nicest and easiest persons you'll ever deal with. Maybe cuz they ain't really DMV people, just clerks employed by the county.

Lindalou - 7-2-2013 at 09:16 AM

Hey, thanks guys, just reminded me to put on my '14 sticker. I had the reg in the car but forgot about the stickers!

They are so easy to get and I love all the bickering whenever the questions is asked. Very entertaining.

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 09:20 AM

If it was Nord Dakota, you would have to learn a new language....

DENNIS - 7-2-2013 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout
2. To register in Clay County, all you need is a US mailing address and a social security number.

I don't recall giving an SSN. Maybe that's new.

Bubba - 7-2-2013 at 09:26 AM

Ok, stupid question. What's the reason for South Dakota plates, cheapest registration?

DENNIS - 7-2-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Ok, stupid question. What's the reason for South Dakota plates, cheapest registration?

No smog or insurance requirements, for one thing..............two things.

MICK - 7-2-2013 at 09:47 AM

Heres a few more things to think about

1. The reason for the plate is that Calif. requires Ins on a vehicle even if it never driven on there roads. (such as my mexico truck that is to old to import) So if I kept it registered in Cal I would pay more for reg, haveto have it smogged and have to buy Insurance even if the car is never there.
2 One thing to remember. If your car is registered in SD but the paperwork shows a California address even a PO., if you get pulled over by the CHP (and they look for SD plates ) they can ticket you or even impound your vehicle. I know someone this happen to. You have to sign a paper with SD that you understand this.
3. For a while Cal would let you fill out a statement of facts saying that the car was in Mexico and not driven in California but they no longer allow this.

I to gave up on California and loaded up and move to mexico. So stay off my case about having SD plates. I do have to use a Cal address only because it is where I get my mail. I am looking for another way to do this
Have a nice day
Mick

Bubba - 7-2-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
[I to gave up on California and loaded up and move to mexico. So stay off my case about having SD plates. I do have to use a Cal address only because it is where I get my mail. I am looking for another way to do this
Have a nice day
Mick

I wasn't on your case, I simply ask a question.

willyAirstream - 7-2-2013 at 09:50 AM

2 more reasons....
Low registration fees
No sales or property tax

Ca. Dmv.

J.P. - 7-2-2013 at 10:22 AM

My. car is registered in Ca. With my Ensenada address just renewed on line and they mailed my new reg.to my home in Punta Banda.
I tried to accomplish this in the local Ca. DMV office in Otay Mesa. and almost went to Jail. :lol::lol::lol:

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks folks...Got er dun.....

DavidE - 7-2-2013 at 01:19 PM

The CHP pulled me over in 2008 on CA 116. Driving a Mexican national plate NISSAN with current legal MICHOACAN plates. Having a current and legal MICHOACAN driver license, both agreeing with my name. Legal and current CA approved insurance issued at the border.

The cop ran my name through the computer, and he asked me

"Your name also came up with a not expired California Driver License. Therefore I am going to cite you as being a legal resident driving an illegally registered vehicle on a California roadway".

Protests did no good. Wanna know what his answer was?

"Tell it to the judge"

I had totally ignored the point that I had a license for 5-years and that having it or not, it was still "in force".

MitchMan - 7-2-2013 at 02:35 PM

The implication is if one had dual citizenship and a residence in both Mexico and in the USA and if one had concurrent valid licenses in both countries and if this person had a validly Mexican registered vehicle that that person would not be allowed to drive the Mexican vehicle on California streets under any condition according to that CHP officer which implies that the officer is conducting himself as though full dual citizenship is not allowed or recognized.

Doesn't seem right. What did the judge say?

[Edited on 7-2-2013 by MitchMan]

rts551 - 7-2-2013 at 04:51 PM

To have a valid DL you must be a resident of the state with a valid address...therefore the requirement for the tag on the car. If you are no longer California resident you are supposed to turn your license in . One of our Abreojos residents did just that in order not to have a problem.

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 05:43 PM

And he did that in South Dakota? WOW

rts551 - 7-2-2013 at 06:52 PM

mailed it in to Kalifornia, chuckie

chuckie - 7-2-2013 at 10:37 PM

I knew that! Just trying to be a smart burro...sorry

absinvestor - 7-3-2013 at 01:40 PM

I'm not sure how the other states are or if things have changed in Colorado. However, I had a neighbor (a couple of years ago) that got a ticket and eventually his motorhome impounded for having SD plates. He thought that he could win in court and hired an attorney. At trial the Colorado court had a copy of his SD application showing a Co license and Co address. (He owned the home in Colorado.) He lost and paid a substantial fine along with attorney fees. ( The motorhome was legally parked at his Co home when ticketed.) Not sure if they were cross referencing county real estate records or driver's license records etc. During that time the county was actively searching for Co vehicles with SD licenses. I'm not sure if it is still happening. Of course, for those living full time in Mexico without a residence in the US it shouldn't present a problem.

DENNIS - 7-3-2013 at 02:12 PM

Interesting article on the subject:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120108/NEWS/301080031/L...

DavidE - 7-3-2013 at 02:33 PM

I sure hope SD has a residence plus a mailing address on their registration. I want the word MEXICO! to scream out at the grinning CHP officer. I hope I wish.

danaeb - 7-3-2013 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
I'm not sure how the other states are or if things have changed in Colorado. However, I had a neighbor (a couple of years ago) that got a ticket and eventually his motorhome impounded for having SD plates. He thought that he could win in court and hired an attorney. At trial the Colorado court had a copy of his SD application showing a Co license and Co address. (He owned the home in Colorado.) He lost and paid a substantial fine along with attorney fees. ( The motorhome was legally parked at his Co home when ticketed.) Not sure if they were cross referencing county real estate records or driver's license records etc. During that time the county was actively searching for Co vehicles with SD licenses. I'm not sure if it is still happening. Of course, for those living full time in Mexico without a residence in the US it shouldn't present a problem.

HI Ron - I have friends who recently drove their SD plated car up from Baja to San Diego. They were stopped for a minor infraction and luckily were able to talk their way out of the discrepancy with their CA drivers license. They were let go with a warning, but it seems a risky proposition without a SD address and license if you drive back and forth.

DENNIS - 7-3-2013 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

HI Ron - I have friends who recently drove their SD plated car up from Baja to San Diego. They were stopped for a minor infraction and luckily were able to talk their way out of the discrepancy with their CA drivers license. They were let go with a warning, but it seems a risky proposition without a SD address and license if you drive back and forth.

Stopped where?

rts551 - 7-3-2013 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I sure hope SD has a residence plus a mailing address on their registration. I want the word MEXICO! to scream out at the grinning CHP officer. I hope I wish.

shouldn't be a problem if you have a valid Mexico drivers license AND a valid Mexican immigration status.

chuckie - 7-3-2013 at 04:01 PM

The officer will decide if its a problem or not, thats the way it works.....I bet the officer would say if you have a Mexican DL, and a Mexican resident card, why are you driving a SD car....I wouldnt want to try to talk my way out of that one....

DavidE - 7-3-2013 at 04:20 PM

Read my post above what happened in Cotati, CA.

California's C.V.C. has become solely revenue enhancement oriented. The CHP budget is augmented by it.

Not that long ago a friend stopped two feet into a crosswalk (deserted) in San Francisco's Marina District. The fine was 504 dollars, doubled because it was a marked construction zone. A hundred sixty some odd dollars more every six months on his insurance for three years. Two thousand dollars. Children grow up seeing asinine law like this and learn to sneer at it. It isn't law; it is predation.

danaeb - 7-3-2013 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Stopped where?

San Diego.

[Edited on 7-3-2013 by danaeb]

rts551 - 7-3-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
The officer will decide if its a problem or not, thats the way it works.....I bet the officer would say if you have a Mexican DL, and a Mexican resident card, why are you driving a SD car....I wouldnt want to try to talk my way out of that one....

Cali is looking for freeloaders. they can not ticket you for not having a california tag if your residence is elsewhere AND your car has only been there for a limited amount of time. The law is very clear...now if you are a resident (An address and CDL) that is a different story.

rts551 - 7-3-2013 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Read my post above what happened in Cotati, CA.

California's C.V.C. has become solely revenue enhancement oriented. The CHP budget is augmented by it.

Not that long ago a friend stopped two feet into a crosswalk (deserted) in San Francisco's Marina District. The fine was 504 dollars, doubled because it was a marked construction zone. A hundred sixty some odd dollars more every six months on his insurance for three years. Two thousand dollars. Children grow up seeing asinine law like this and learn to sneer at it. It isn't law; it is predation.

so where do you think they should enforce the law...and where not? I personally like it that Arizona does the same thing and tickets cars who enter the crosswalk when not allowed. Da Ya think there might be a reason for it?

DENNIS - 7-3-2013 at 04:35 PM

Quote:

San Diego.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear Mexico hasn't discovered a cash-cow.....yet anyway.

absinvestor - 7-4-2013 at 08:15 AM

Hi Dana- Sonrisa says hi and she misses you!!

wornout - 7-5-2013 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
My. car is registered in Ca. With my Ensenada address just renewed on line and they mailed my new reg.to my home in Punta Banda.
I tried to accomplish this in the local Ca. DMV office in Otay Mesa. and almost went to Jail. :lol::lol::lol:

And you had to provide proof of California Insurance, Correcto?

wornout - 7-5-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
To have a valid DL you must be a resident of the state with a valid address...therefore the requirement for the tag on the car. If you are no longer California resident you are supposed to turn your license in . One of our Abreojos residents did just that in order not to have a problem.

NOT TRUE, I have a Peoples Republic of California Drivers License and have had it for the 16 years I have lived in San Felipe. All the DMV asked was for a California Mailing address, which is my PMB in Calexico. As always, when dealing with the DMV or CHP one has to know if it is their time of month (man or woman, doesn't matter).

We were in CostCo Mission Beach, CA., and a uniform police officer walked up, asked us for our card stating who the Disable Parking Placard was issued to. I informed him, who was holding my Ca Drivers License and SD Vehicle Registration that SD doesn't issue those cards. He walked over to his radio, and with a frustrated look on his face when he came back, he handed us our paperwork and said, Have a nice day.

MitchMan - 7-5-2013 at 07:03 PM

So, wornout, the CA CHP didn't make an issue out of your driving a SD plated/registered vehicle on California streets while at the same time you had a CA drivers licence?

I thought that was not permissible. I thought that the CHP officer could/would impound your car because you had a CA drivers license driving a vehicle that you owned that was not plated/registered in California.

What gives?

rts551 - 7-5-2013 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

NOT TRUE, I have a Peoples Republic of California Drivers License and have had it for the 16 years I have lived in San Felipe. All the DMV asked was for a California Mailing address, which is my PMB in Calexico. As always, when dealing with the DMV or CHP one has to know if it is their time of month (man or woman, doesn't matter).

We were in CostCo Mission Beach, CA., and a uniform police officer walked up, asked us for our card stating who the Disable Parking Placard was issued to. I informed him, who was holding my Ca Drivers License and SD Vehicle Registration that SD doesn't issue those cards. He walked over to his radio, and with a frustrated look on his face when he came back, he handed us our paperwork and said, Have a nice day.

Just my point. You claim California residence through Probably Mailbox ETC (or something similar) since they will not take a PO box.

J.P. - 7-5-2013 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes my cars are insured in Ca. I spend a lot of time up there the way I get a manageable rate I declare the Minimum miles you can drive on the policy its worked for me for 10 years.

Gaucho - 7-6-2013 at 09:28 AM

Once your vehicle is in Baja with SD plates/registration what is the best way to insure it (liability only)? Can you do it through a U.S. based company?

DENNIS - 7-6-2013 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Once your vehicle is in Baja with SD plates/registration what is the best way to insure it (liability only)? Can you do it through a U.S. based company?

Insure your drivers license with Bajabound.....see above.

Gaucho - 7-6-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Insure your drivers license with Bajabound.....see above.

So I can just insure my CA. license to drive any vehicle in Baja?

DENNIS - 7-6-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:

Any foreign plated vehicle with current registration. No cars with Mex plates.

http://www.bajabound.com/buy/start.php?quote_idx=05068ce6

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by DENNIS]

Gaucho - 7-6-2013 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Great, thanks Dennis.

DENNIS - 7-6-2013 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great, thanks Dennis.

De nada.
I added a link up there.

wornout - 7-8-2013 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just my point. You claim California residence through Probably Mailbox ETC (or something similar) since they will not take a PO box.

AGAIN, NOT TRUE, I DID NOT CLAIM ANYTHING. Where do you read this stuff? Probably, what the hell do you mean, probably? You weren't there and I am simply stating what happened to me and as you can tell, I don't like it when people like you tell other that I didn't do what I know I did. Geez!!!

Maybe you will understand if I put it in capitals. I TOLD THE DMV CLERK THAT I DIDN'T LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, THAT I HAD MOVED FULL TIME TO MEXICO, DIDN'T OWN PROPERTY IN CALIFORNIA AS I HAD SOLD IT. I TOLD HER I AM A US CITIZEN AND HAD A CALIFORNIA MAILING ADDRESS.

wornout - 7-8-2013 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes my cars are insured in Ca. I spend a lot of time up there the way I get a manageable rate I declare the Minimum miles you can drive on the policy its worked for me for 10 years.

Got it, that is why I dropped California (they required full time insurance now on all California registered cars), one of the cars never went to California and all I wanted was legal registration which is required for drivers license insurance. The other car only went there once a month for one night.

wornout - 7-8-2013 at 08:23 PM

Quote:

The car that stays in Baja all the time is drivers license insured. The other car is insured in both USA and Mexico, Mexico insurance company for Mexico coverage, USA company for USA insurance.

rts551 - 7-8-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

AGAIN, NOT TRUE, I DID NOT CLAIM ANYTHING. Where do you read this stuff? Probably, what the hell do you mean, probably? You weren't there and I am simply stating what happened to me and as you can tell, I don't like it when people like you tell other that I didn't do what I know I did. Geez!!!

Maybe you will understand if I put it in capitals. I TOLD THE DMV CLERK THAT I DIDN'T LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, THAT I HAD MOVED FULL TIME TO MEXICO, DIDN'T OWN PROPERTY IN CALIFORNIA AS I HAD SOLD IT. I TOLD HER I AM A US CITIZEN AND HAD A CALIFORNIA MAILING ADDRESS.

Sorry to set you off. California will not accept a PO box any more. But your PMB has an address is if it was a residence. That is all I meant. I AM GLAD YOU ARE A US RESIDENT WITHOUT A HOME IN THE US.

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
But your PMB has an address is if it was a residence. That is all I meant. I AM GLAD YOU ARE A US RESIDENT WITHOUT A HOME IN THE US.

Me too. Postal Annex PMB for twenty years. No problem since it has a street address.
Just don't want AAA to know where I live. They'll cancel my insurance immediately.