BajaNomad

She So Loved Baja

DianaT - 7-3-2013 at 08:53 PM

Maggie was one of those Baja dogs who annoyed many by finding her way into pictures of Baja

It was with such broken hearts that last night we had to say good-bye to our 11 year old fur baby. We buried her at sunrise.

It has been a not always smooth journey with Maggie Mae with her two knee surgeries and two years of battling cancer. It all took a toll and suddenly about two weeks ago, she became terribly ill --- her little body was failing her; it was never as strong after her last radiation. The Vet said her end was near, with a failing heart, but she understood our need to hold on to hope. It was hospice care for the last two weeks. After all she gave us, she deserved it.

Maggie was not the dog everyone loved; she had her own personality and was so loyal to us. We loved her more than anyone can imagine. Life will just not be same without her. Damn, we miss her. We are trying to think about all the wonderful memories and what we have learned from her about life.

1. Always bring joy to all activities no matter how small the activity.

2. Give unconditional love to those very few who give it back. And tell them everyday how much you love them

3. Don't be too quick to trust as not all are worthy of trust.

4. Continue to be weary and cautious as there are so many false others

5. Accept those who seek to understand you, warts and all.

6. Don't let that other dog steal your toy! :saint:

DEP little angel. You have left such a hole in our hearts, but you gave us so much. We will continue to cry and continue to miss you forever. While you always told us how much you appreciated that we rescued you from the street, the pleasure was all ours. You were one of a kind

With a huge smile, we will always see you clearing that beach in Bahia Asuncion of all the birds.

[Edited on 7-5-2013 by DianaT]

Mulegena - 7-3-2013 at 09:28 PM

Your littlest angel loved you with such loyalty that in my mind's eye I'll always see her by your side.

It gladdens me that her feisty little spirit saw you into your next adventure in life and stayed 'til your new course was securely set.

Fly little angel-girl, for you've earned your wings.

DianaT - 7-3-2013 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Your littlest angel loved you with such loyalty that in my mind's eye I'll always see her by your side.

It gladdens me that her feisty little spirit saw you into your next adventure in life and stayed 'til your new course was securely set.

Fly little angel-girl, for you've earned your wings.

Your words and insight are so beautiful --THANK YOU

She was so protective of us ---

jbcoug - 7-3-2013 at 09:38 PM

What a beautiful friend you had! I'm so sorry for your loss, but so happy you had the chance to enjoy such friendship. None are so loyal as our furry friends. I share your grief.

John

bajadogs - 7-3-2013 at 11:30 PM

Damn. I am so sorry Diana.

tjsue - 7-4-2013 at 12:19 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, I know she'll be missed. But now she's at the Rainbow Bridge, playing with the other dogs and out of pain.

schwlind - 7-4-2013 at 03:12 AM

Oh Diana....

I am so very, very sorry to hear of Dep's passing. I know only too well the grief you must be experiencing... Those who have experienced the joy, unconditional love and bond we have with our furbabies understand what you are going through! My deepest sympathy in your time of sorrow.

Know that you will be reunited again and yes she is now running free, chasing the birds at the rainbow bridge!
Linda

Keri - 7-4-2013 at 06:52 AM

So sorry Diana. We Just lost our cat of 18 years. I know how you are feeling. That rainbow bridge is going to be a busy place when we all join up to meet our babies Busy and happy,happy, happy.k

DENNIS - 7-4-2013 at 06:54 AM

Sad way to start the day.

Curt63 - 7-4-2013 at 06:57 AM

What a great friend. Im so sorry for your loss.

Russ - 7-4-2013 at 07:00 AM

My heart goes out to you

Bubba - 7-4-2013 at 07:13 AM

Saying good bye is the only bad part of having our pets. It's hard, sorry for your loss.

Loretana - 7-4-2013 at 07:40 AM

Such a beautiful little face......she looked right into your soul, Diana.
Godspeed, Maggie.

David K - 7-4-2013 at 07:41 AM

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope she has an eternity of happiness in doggie heaven.

danaeb - 7-4-2013 at 07:53 AM

Thank you Diane, for sharing her with us.

Bob H - 7-4-2013 at 08:09 AM

So sorry for your loss Diana. You will always have wonderful memories of your "fur-baby" forever!!

woody with a view - 7-4-2013 at 08:20 AM

turn the sadness around and dwell on all the fun times. easier said than done....

Bajagypsy - 7-4-2013 at 08:26 AM

sorry for your loss. It is so hard to say good bye to our fur babies.

Mexitron - 7-4-2013 at 08:41 AM

I'm sorry Diane---those little guys are bundles of magic. Loved the lessons learned!

Islandbuilder - 7-4-2013 at 08:46 AM

Sad news Diana. I'm sorry for your loss. The house gets way too big without a sweet dog to fill it up.

BajaBlanca - 7-4-2013 at 08:52 AM

Sorry, Diane. Bye bye Maggie! Our dog also wants to rid the world of birds!

bajalinda - 7-4-2013 at 09:11 AM

Such a beautiful photo of Maggie - and such a fortunate and lucky girl to have been in your care. Very sorry for your loss.

LancairDriver - 7-4-2013 at 09:18 AM

So sorry for your loss Diane. I was dreading to see this post coming knowing from your previous posts what you had done to keep her going. You gave her a wonderful life and your recent trip to the Sierras with her had to be a high point.

Neal Johns - 7-4-2013 at 10:25 AM

She had a good life that you gave her - get another - Quick.
Neal

bajajudy - 7-4-2013 at 11:48 AM

Diana
With the death of our dog so fresh in our hearts, I couldnt even read any of these posts
BUT I do know how you feel and hope that you know that we all know your pain.
Take good care

woody with a view - 7-4-2013 at 01:42 PM

:saint:

bacquito - 7-4-2013 at 02:35 PM

Very sorry for your loss

DavidE - 7-4-2013 at 02:49 PM

For me, your beautiful prose can apply wonderfully to my beloved never-to-be-replaced malamute that went to the snowbank in the sky 25 years ago. Thanks for sharing your memorial announcement...

DianaT - 7-4-2013 at 03:32 PM

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and comments. This one is a tough one as it just feels like a big chunk of our life spirit has left us. Time, it will take some time.

And I know that some of you are still suffering from your recent and not so recent loss of a fur baby. We just keep trying to fill that giant hole in our hearts with the beautiful memories. As we took a drive today, I smiled remembering how we always had to fight her for the arm rest between our seats; she always won.

Tommy, our other dog is very healthy right now, but he is almost 12 1/2 years old. We don't think there will be any more dogs for a very, very, long time, but we said that when we lost our Lucy 13 years ago. We still miss her all the time.

When Lucy left us we had her cremated as we knew we were not going to be in Calexico for much longer. Since to us, this is such a much nicer place, we decided to bury Lucy's ashes with Maggie. It was one thing that made us smile as we told them to get along as we know they would not have liked each other in life.

This was her last hike just a couple of weeks ago. We had seen changes in her for the last few months but we were just trying to ignore them. She did pretty well on this short hike, but she tired much to quickly.

And as a final note, this is one of my favorite portrait shots of little Magster taken at Gonzaga a few years ago. Pigpen was another one our nicknames for her.

Again, thank you. Somehow writing about her just helps a little.

Diana

Graham - 7-4-2013 at 03:42 PM

Diana,

So, so sad... and such a beautiful face... Because of your wonderful, loving bond I suspect Maggie is still there in spirit thanking you for all you did and making sure you're OK.

vgabndo - 7-4-2013 at 04:13 PM

I am so deep in personal loss that this pulled a real good cry out of me. I'm so sorry for anyone feeling grief. Pain killers seem to work on almost everything else. Damnit! Sorry friend.

Time, as you say. Just time. Bless you.

toneart - 7-5-2013 at 09:51 AM

Dianne,

I was so sorry to read this. My sympathies go out to you, John and Tommy. I met Maggie on two or three of our meetings in Baja and also in No. Cal. So did Paco.

'Ol Paco is now 11 and slowing down a bit. He especially did not like this heat wave of triple digits for the last 7 days. Last night's fireworks did not help. We have been so close since he was a puppy, I am not looking forward to that day.

You may or may not get another dog, but none can replace your dear Maggie. I will spend extra time with Paco today in the memory of Maggie.

Today is a bit cooler. Whew! I will take Paco for a drive. You will remember, he has the whole super crew cab in my F150, with the back seat down as a platform. He has made so many trips to Mulege without a single complaint. Well...after all that is his penthouse suite.

Bye, Maggie! We loved you. :saint:

Tony

DianaT - 7-5-2013 at 10:09 AM

Graham her spirit will always be with us; in that way she will never be gone. Perry, I am very sorry you are grieving ---- I guess it is just a part of life that we cannot avoid no matter how hard we try.

Tony, yes, and she growled at you and Paco! It took her a long time to trust anyone or any other dogs. She was so attached to us and so protective of her "pack". We always said that Tommy wanted to welcome the whole world into his life, and Maggie just as soon everyone go away. Paco is definitely a member of the lucky dog club----very well loved. They give us so much and it is not their fault they break our hearts, but they do.

CaboMagic - 7-5-2013 at 02:22 PM

Oh dear Diana and John and Tommy - please add us to those sending heartfelt condolences to your family. My heart fell when I read this, knowing how it is with our loved furbabes, their time with us is just not long enough, so making the most of it is what you do, and so definitely did. Maggie is out of the pain that tested her, and playing painfree with those that welcomed her to the special place in heaven where all of our furbabies go. I know if she could have written these words to you she would have, so please permit me to write them for her: "My dear loving family thank you for making life for me so wonderful, full of love and adventure and so very special. I am gone but am with you always. Just think of me and I will be tapping on your hearts with my paw to say I will always love you. Love Maggie"

Sincere Regrets to You

Gypsy Jan - 7-5-2013 at 02:38 PM

We have loved and lost number of beloved family members and it is never easy.

I hope that your heart heals in time.

astrobaja - 7-5-2013 at 04:31 PM

Hi Diana,

I'm so very sorry you guys have such a huge hole in your lives from this loss! All together too many of us here I'm sure have gone through similar experiences and despite what we do sometimes you have to admit that nothing more can be done at a certain point and thats soooo very hard since we love them so!

We lost our old Basenji girl Asha three years ago now and the 2 ranch dogs we have now pale in comparison to her spirit, you sure as heck can never replace them! You guys are lucky to have had each other, but of course you know that!

un abrazo fuerte!

Mike and Pamela

DianaT - 7-6-2013 at 07:58 AM

Thanks---she always will be speaking to us. She did have such a special spirit that just made everything more alive and fun.

Now it is time to work with our old Tommy as he is obviously grieving and is having a few very different behaviors. We know that he knew Maggie was very sick before we did by the way he behaved around her. :no:

Mike, we really hope to get up your way in the not too distant future.

805gregg - 7-6-2013 at 07:09 PM

It breaks my heart to see you lose your companion, dogs are such wonderfull creatures .My Aussie is 12, so I wonder how I can live without that wonderfull spirit in our lives

[Edited on 7-7-2013 by 805gregg]

[Edited on 7-7-2013 by 805gregg]

DianaT - 7-6-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
It breaks my heart to see you lose your companion, dogs are such wonderfull creatures .My Aussie is 12, so I wonder how I can live without that wonderfull spirit in our lives

We are finding it very, very difficult. We still think it is not real.