BajaNomad

Baja Trip 6/22-7/2 2013

Frank - 7-5-2013 at 11:59 PM

Below is my video report of our trip to Baja.

We overnighted in Guerrero Negro at Cowboy, it was clean and a good value.

Ran out to the petroglyphs, incredible. Pozo Aleman, we could of stayed for hours shooting photos.

We had a GREAT time in Bahia Asuncion. Shari is a wonderful host. All we wanted to do was to unwind on the patio, listening to the waves and sea life. The Rock Room was incredible and gave us the best night sleep of the trip. We will definitely be back every trip.

The best meal was Juanitas in Bahia Asuncion, with Los Equipales in Mulege a very close second. We timed the return trip so we could eat at Los Equipales one more time.

San Javier was very nice, Rose found a lantern she liked in the little rancher craft store next to the police office. Road was ok, watch the edges.

Rain storm in La Paz. East Capes' inshore waters turned over and was cold and green. 7-8 feet visibility. We ran South to the reefs off of Punta Colorada and the Pargo hole one day. Not much action on the deep iron. We ran North to Punta Pescadero, cold and green. Headed East for 15 miles until it turned blue. We were near the end of our range in the Inflatable, so we headed in.

Fished with Nino 1 day. 5 Marlin released, we ran out of Ballyhoo. 1 stop we had no less then 4 in the spread. Nate jumped in to film them 2 times before the weather came up and I wouldnt let him off the boat anymore. One more time and we would of had the camera just right......

Bat Caves smell.....very badly :lol:

I love my 4Runner and the new suspension.

I wont drive home without staying at the hotel in Catavina anymore. Perfect stopping place when headed North.

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by Frank]

cessna821 - 7-6-2013 at 04:19 AM

Superb!

Bubba - 7-6-2013 at 05:05 AM

Outstanding!

Meany - 7-6-2013 at 06:05 AM

What a way Cool Video. Love the water shots......:tumble:

edm1 - 7-6-2013 at 06:14 AM

Wonderful trip, wonderful video.

Thanks for sharing.

rhintransit - 7-6-2013 at 06:23 AM

way cool...I rarely make it all the way through most videos. loved the catch and release shots.

woody with a view - 7-6-2013 at 06:30 AM

never been there, but San Javier looks an awful lot like San Ig. Mantas! the take is pretty cool! it looks like a fairly epic trip bud!

Marc - 7-6-2013 at 07:13 AM

WAY cool! I see they've finally completed the paved road to San Javier

shari - 7-6-2013 at 08:46 AM

It was a pleasure having your family here with us Frank! I loved the video and shed some tears on the fishing scenes as I felt Stan was looking over my shoulder watching it with me...I heard his laugh and felt him smile as he enjoyed seeing you reel that fish in! great images...what video program did you use?
See you next time bro.

bajajudy - 7-6-2013 at 09:08 AM

WOW
Excellent!
Thanks!

jbcoug - 7-6-2013 at 09:20 AM

Thanks for sharing Frank! Loved every minute. It's obvious your family had a great time.

John

monoloco - 7-6-2013 at 09:35 AM

Great video, you really should slow down a little on that San Javier road though.:lol::lol:

TMW - 7-6-2013 at 09:51 AM

Excellent, thanks

nbacc - 7-6-2013 at 05:19 PM

Nice.........well done. Enjoyed that

Curt63 - 7-6-2013 at 06:10 PM

Excellent video trip report. Looks like a great trip

David K - 7-7-2013 at 09:54 AM

Hi Frank, what a fun video of a great trip. Looks like the pavement has reached San Javier? Yes, Pozo Aleman is super interesting as are the cave paintings nearby... and, well, the rest of Baja too!
Thank you,
David

Ateo - 7-7-2013 at 09:57 AM

Wow Frank....what a report and what a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Bob H - 7-7-2013 at 10:20 AM

Loved every second of your video trip report ~ WOW!

And the rock room at Shari and Juan's place looks fantastic.

You have a great 'eye' for taking photos Frank!

Mexitron - 7-7-2013 at 10:46 AM

Beautiful!

bajacalifornian - 7-7-2013 at 11:11 AM

Nicely done Frank. I enjoyed the ride!

BajaBlanca - 7-7-2013 at 02:07 PM

so fun to watch ! great job of putting it together.

[Edited on 7-11-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Wiles - 7-7-2013 at 06:49 PM

Wow, you just up'ed the ante for Baja Trip reports. Great job.

Pacifico - 7-8-2013 at 07:46 AM

Nice report Frank! Wish I had the energy to put those together.....well done!

grizzlyfsh95 - 7-8-2013 at 08:14 AM

Very nicely done video

Frank - 7-8-2013 at 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone. Windows movie maker is what I use, makes the process fairly easy. The hard part is choosing what does and doesn't make it into the final cut.

Bob H - 7-8-2013 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Thanks everyone. Windows movie maker is what I use, makes the process fairly easy. The hard part is choosing what does and doesn't make it into the final cut.

How did you make your video sections move so fast? That was pretty cool!

Frank - 7-8-2013 at 09:42 PM

That's how fast I drive :biggrin:

Under the video tab, find edit and then just increase the speed.

Skipjack Joe - 7-8-2013 at 10:59 PM

My favorite part was the bat cave. Did you get close enough to tell what they were?

Amazing. Just when you think you know all there is to know about baja - up comes something totally new.

Frank - 7-9-2013 at 01:53 PM

I think they were California leaf nosed bats {internet search}, but it was hard to tell because it was dark and we had to keep our necks covered :lol:

I would of never known about them if it wasnt for David K's Bajabound article.

baitcast - 7-11-2013 at 08:10 AM

You were so right I totally missed it,I hardly ever check the trip reports,hellva report Frank great pics,super musica has it all,your son is very lucky these trips he will always remember,just how old is he?

Inflatable? you used to have a tin boat why the change? just don't let a billfish or a nasty old Mako get to close:lol:..........Super job Frank!
Rob

BajaBlanca - 7-11-2013 at 08:28 AM

And I thought Les drove fast! Holy mackerel!

Where is the bat cave? I had never even heard of it ....

David K - 7-11-2013 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Went there the week before we came by La Bocana. Bajatripper showed it to us and it is in my July, 2012 report and in a Baja Bound article, called 'The Bat Cave of Santiago'. On my phone, otherwise I would add links.
Just north of Santiago and south of Las Cuevas leave Mex 1 at the La Ribera highway and drive under the bridge in the riverbed. Cave on your left.

Gaucho - 7-11-2013 at 09:32 AM

Great report Frank, thank you!

tripledigitken - 7-11-2013 at 10:06 AM

Enjoyed the report. You got some great captures too, Frank!!!

Frank - 7-11-2013 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
You were so right I totally missed it,I hardly ever check the trip reports,hellva report Frank great pics,super musica has it all,your son is very lucky these trips he will always remember,just how old is he?

Inflatable? you used to have a tin boat why the change? just don't let a billfish or a nasty old Mako get to close:lol:..........Super job Frank!
Rob

Hey Rob,

Nathan just turned 19 in May and has switched from Photo Journalism to Radiology. I guess he will still be taking pictures :biggrin:

We still shoot the Spartan Races and just picked up Tough Mudder and Rugged Maniac. So photography will help pay for college then Radiology will pay for his hobby. He is the last one for us, then its an empty nest!

1/2 of the photos are his, the others are mine.

We used the 4Runner for our trip this year because the F350 Crew Cab {8' bed} was just too long to go exploring with. So the Klamath stayed home and we brought the inflatable down along with the 20hp. We were going to be chasing Roosters and Pargo with it, unless we could get a marlin to come along for the ride. You know how that goes...
Water was cold and green inshore so, next time.

Frank

Kgryfon - 7-14-2013 at 05:16 AM

Awesome report, Frank! Nice video editing job, too...except that I am a very fast reader and couldn't catch some of the text. I'll have to go back and re-read it! Worth the time :D

RnR - 7-14-2013 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Went there the week before we came by La Bocana. Bajatripper showed it to us and it is in my July, 2012 report and in a Baja Bound article, called 'The Bat Cave of Santiago'. On my phone, otherwise I would add links.
Just north of Santiago and south of Las Cuevas leave Mex 1 at the La Ribera highway and drive under the bridge in the riverbed. Cave on your left.

You can see the caves from Mex 1 when heading north from Cabo. Northbound Mex 1 heads down a gentle grade about three miles south of the La Ribera turnoff. The caves are directly in front of you as you head down the grade. Just get off the highway as DK describes, curl back around to the south, and the caves are about 1 1/2 miles from Mex 1.

David K - 7-14-2013 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

You can see the caves from Mex 1 when heading north from Cabo. Northbound Mex 1 heads down a gentle grade about three miles south of the La Ribera turnoff. The caves are directly in front of you as you head down the grade. Just get off the highway as DK describes, curl back around to the south, and the caves are about 1 1/2 miles from Mex 1.

Indeed... you see it from quite a distance before you leave the highway, if you are northbound!

Here is my article from last year, in Baja Bound's web site: http://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/the_bat_c...

If you want to see it on Google Earth, or let your navigation device take you: GPS at the cave is 23º31.80, -109º40.65 (WGS 84).

Udo - 7-14-2013 at 08:55 AM

Superb report, Frank!

A lot said without a lot of writing. With my reports, I work on the writing, save it on Word (MAC version), because the Nomad window sometimes loses what one wrote. The cut and paste it. Download the photos to photobucket, then add to the report.

Your use of still and GOPRO photos was excellent.

Nice job on the tires and suspension. Your 4Runner looks outstanding. Just was very clean. We still have not washed our FJ since our trip to BA.

Nice video of your son filming the catch & release of the marlins.

Looks like you and I use the same barber!

Frank - 7-15-2013 at 03:49 PM

Thanks Udo. The 4Runner was washed by the rainstorm in La Paz, the bags on top on the other hand were a mixture of bugs and mud.

Can you believe I drove 2450 miles in Baja with ZERO issues and someone hits us 4 days later in the SeaWorld parking lot?

Oh well, looks like a new front bumper is in the works :yes:

Bald is beautiful Udo!!!!

BajaLuna - 7-15-2013 at 08:47 PM

thanks for sharing this video, it is excellent, My grandsons and I enjoyed watching it together, it was really mesmerizing! Need to put the bat caves on my bucket list! OHHH there is so much of Baja I have yet to see!