BajaNomad

My longest border wait to date...

Pacifico - 7-8-2013 at 07:54 AM

Just came back yesterday from a trip south and had a horrible wait at the border (San Ysidro) - 5 hours! Some friends that were behind us had it even worse; 7.5 hours! I'm sure some other Nomads were in that mess.....

Paulina - 7-8-2013 at 07:59 AM

We crossed in Tecate yesterday. We got in line at 6am, two hour wait. Oh boy was Dern fussing. Wait till he reads your post, he'll feel much better.

For spring break we got in line at 6:30am and we were the line. No one was there. You'd think that spring would have been a busier time than July 4th weekend.

P>*)))>{

Ateo - 7-8-2013 at 08:05 AM

Ouch. Yes, I cut my San Juanico trip a day short for this reason and came back Saturday instead. I have sworn off San Ysidro till the construction is over.

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by Ateo]

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 08:16 AM

How many nails can the tourism coffin take?
We were happy to see the long absent crowds of travelers returning to Baja, but it seems, the better it gets, the worse it is for them.

Jeeeezo.....5 to 7.5 hours with a carload of kids? Baja can say goodbye to those folks....forever.

Pacifico - 7-8-2013 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
We crossed in Tecate yesterday. We got in line at 6am, two hour wait. Oh boy was Dern fussing. Wait till he reads your post, he'll feel much better.

For spring break we got in line at 6:30am and we were the line. No one was there. You'd think that spring would have been a busier time than July 4th weekend.

P>*)))>{

Some other people in our group went through Tecate and they were 3 plus hours. We were supposed to come back Saturday, but ran late so came back on Sunday. I normally go through Tecate too! I checked my Border Wait app on my phone in Ensenada and it said San Ysidro and Tecate were the same wait approximately, so I opted for SY. Needless to say, by the time we got there it was much worse! Even worse, I have my Sentri but couldn't use it because I was towing a trailer!

DaliDali - 7-8-2013 at 09:06 AM

Four and half Sandra Flucking hours at the Otay garita Sunday afternoon July 7th.

9 out of 10 cars had CA plates and driven by Mexicans.

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

Really???? Were they wearing Serapes and Sombreros?

motoged - 7-8-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
....9 out of 10 cars had CA plates and driven by Mexicans.

And.....your point is ?

rts551 - 7-8-2013 at 10:03 AM

Damn Mesicans anyway. cloggin up OUR border,

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

And.....your point is ?

His head.

:lol::lol: Couldn't just let that one slide by. :lol:

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by DENNIS]

DaliDali - 7-8-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
....9 out of 10 cars had CA plates and driven by Mexicans.

And.....your point is ?

The point is.....1 out of 10 "appeared" to be Caucasian.
Feel better now?

sancho - 7-8-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:

7 1/2, sounds like a record to me. Not so sure anything
was meant by the above statement. My observation
over the last 5 yrs., or so, when the Cartel incidents
were in the press, often vehicles in the Rosarito/Ensenada
area were US, and lets be correct and PC, driven by Hispanics
from So. Ca, to my experience those tourists, born in Mex or the US, never altered their
Baja Border visits due to the 'violence', I don't believe
typical Gringo Tourist has returned to driving into Mex
as casually as in past yrs

tjsue - 7-8-2013 at 11:35 AM

I have some friends that came in from out of town to see their dentist. She said that the pedestrian border wait on Friday was 3 hours to cross back into the US.

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho

Not so sure anything
was meant by the above statement.

I would guess not. In fact, I had my own questions a week ago when using the Otay Ready Lane. They say a passport card is required, but the lines are full of Baja Plates, and I assume some drivers are Mexicans.
I'm just curious as to what form of ID they would be required to have in the Ready Lane.
It's foolish to imagine the lanes, and streets, in Mexico, are dedicated to US citizens. That just wouldn't happen....nor should it.

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsue
I have some friends that came in from out of town to see their dentist. She said that the pedestrian border wait on Friday was 3 hours to cross back into the US.

Go to a Segunda and buy a walker. :lol:

OK....relax out there. I'm jes kiddin'.

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho

7 1/2, sounds like a record to me.

I remember when it was common....even with very little traffic.

Operation Intercept:

Operation Intercept was an anti-drug measure announced by President Nixon on at 2:30pm on Sunday, September 21, 1969, resulting in a near shutdown of border crossings between Mexico and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Intercept

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267979/Operation-In...

sancho - 7-8-2013 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I would guess not. In fact, I had my own questions a week ago when using the Otay Ready Lane. They say a passport card is required, but the lines are full of Baja Plates, and I assume some drivers are Mexicans.
I'm just curious as to what form of ID they would be required to have in the Ready Lane.

There was a post on Baja Talk from an obvious US Citizen
claiming to have used the Ready Lanes with only a US
Passport Book for the past 4 yrs., I didn't understand that
at all, I could see getting in the Ready lane by accident
and US Customs kinda letting one slide by, I assume Mex
Nationals would have a geeen Card/ or a visa to visit
the US, likely the former

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by sancho]

güero - 7-8-2013 at 01:06 PM

The latest Mexican visas have what it takes for the "ready lane".

Frank - 7-8-2013 at 02:10 PM

Our crossing at Tecate was 1.75 hours, from the bottom of the hill. The border wait is a definite killer for quick weekend getaways, for us. If they fixed it, we would be down at least 1-2 times per month.

mrfatboy - 7-8-2013 at 02:43 PM

Just crossed Otay west 11am today Sentri lane. 21 minutes. Border app said 0 minutes.

Curt63 - 7-8-2013 at 02:48 PM

Serious bummer. Sorry.

How many bags of fresh hot churros did you eat?

mrfatboy - 7-8-2013 at 02:58 PM

No Churros. Still had a box of entemann's old fashion donuts left over. LoL

David K - 7-8-2013 at 03:49 PM

Passport book with a chip came out about 5 years or so ago. Mine is just a little older so no ready lane until I renew or get a card.

DENNIS - 7-8-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by güero
The latest Mexican visas have what it takes for the "ready lane".

Ahhsoo...thanks.

woody with a view - 7-8-2013 at 07:37 PM

who crosses on the last day of a 4 day weekend? oh yeah, people with A LOT of time to sit......

bigboy - 7-8-2013 at 09:50 PM

We hit the San Ysidro Sentri at about 10:30am Friday morning. Seven minutes total!

Bubba - 7-9-2013 at 04:41 AM

That's brutal.

yellowklr - 7-9-2013 at 07:45 AM

Yeah why on earth would anyone cross on a Sunday after a holiday??

The weekend prior I waited 15 minutes at Tecate

sancho - 7-9-2013 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Passport book with a chip came out about 5 years or so ago. Mine is just a little older so no ready lane until I renew or get a card.

DK, Your post asserts you can, within CBP regs, use a
Passport BOOK with chip in the Ready Lane. Can you
post info that supports that? I was always under the
impression the Ready Lane was for Passport CARD
along with some other doc's. Although I understand Passport
BOOK holders getting in the Ready Lane and Customs
letting them slide by. this dated 6/2013

Ready Lane - Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)

What is Ready Lane?

Ready Lane is a dedicated primary vehicle lane for travelers entering the U.S. at land border ports of entry. Travelers who obtain and travel with a radio frequency identification or RFID- enabled travel document may receive the benefits of using a Ready Lane to expedite the inspection process while crossing the border. RFID-enabled cards approved by the Department of Homeland Security include: the U.S. Passport Card; the Enhanced Driver's License (EDL); the Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC); trusted traveler cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry and FAST cards); the new Enhanced Permanent Resident Card (PRC) or new Border Crossing Card (BCC).

DavidT - 7-9-2013 at 12:10 PM

No better way to celebrate a U.S. holiday than to leave the country and come back after the holiday is over.

Pacifico - 7-9-2013 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
Yeah why on earth would anyone cross on a Sunday after a holiday??

The weekend prior I waited 15 minutes at Tecate

We were supposed to come back on Saturday and ran into some problems. Thus, Sunday it was!

Caca happens!

Paulina - 7-12-2013 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
who crosses on the last day of a 4 day weekend? oh yeah, people with A LOT of time to sit......

One of these days, knock on cardon, I will be one of the lucky ones who can pick and choose when, if, and EVER I have to cross the border heading north. Until that blessed day I have to get my baja dust fix in whenever I can. If that means crossing on the last day of a 4 day weekend, so be it.

You're right, it is a lot of time to sit. So is the rest of our drive after crossing. San Luis Obispo is another 6 - 7 hrs further (traffic willing). But as I said, it's worth it to me.

Some of us have to do what we have to do, for our love of baja.

P>*)))>{

Alm - 7-15-2013 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Four and half Sandra Flucking hours at the Otay garita Sunday afternoon July 7th.

Makes sense. "American Americans" don't - usually - drive to visit their relatives in Mexico over long weekend in the middle of summer heat. This group exceeds the numbers of US pensioners traveling to/from vacation homes in Mexico, shouldn't be a surprise.

woody with a view - 7-17-2013 at 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

One of these days, knock on cardon, I will be one of the lucky ones who can pick and choose when, if, and EVER I have to cross the border heading north. Until that blessed day I have to get my baja dust fix in whenever I can. If that means crossing on the last day of a 4 day weekend, so be it.

You're right, it is a lot of time to sit. So is the rest of our drive after crossing. San Luis Obispo is another 6 - 7 hrs further (traffic willing). But as I said, it's worth it to me.

Some of us have to do what we have to do, for our love of baja.

P>*)))>{

i understand what you're saying. i live 10 minutes NOB but i still take my vacations to include a monday for the return leg.