BajaNomad

Sling Box?

Howard - 7-13-2013 at 09:50 AM

A neighbor in the States just gave me a sling box for me to use in Loreto or wherever.

Anyone use it and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Howard

LaTijereta - 7-13-2013 at 02:12 PM

Use mine all the time here..works great to get all my Direct TV channels from NOB.. Speeds in Loreto will support the streaming of the signal with basic service..

Also, No VPN needed to work in Mexico:cool:

grace59 - 7-13-2013 at 02:41 PM

I'm not very knowledgeable about technology! How does a Slingbox work?? Here is our home in San Felipe we have internet, we also bring down our DVR (Directv) from our other home in Olympia....we get all but our local channels (the ABC, CBS, NBC etc. affiliates). We were looking into getting a VPN, but if we had a Slingbox instead, would we be able to get our local channels from home here on our box in San Felipe?? Thanks for the help.

msteve1014 - 7-13-2013 at 06:12 PM

The slingbox gets hooked up up north to your tv, then you can get everything in Mexico that you have at home. I have one and love it. I can stream in the morning until about 10 am. I record from the dvr on off hours. You can control the home box with the slingbox, set up recording, delete them, everything.

Alan - 7-13-2013 at 06:43 PM

Sling box has been awesome and the only way to go! Control my DVR in CA from my living room in La Paz. The only issue I have found so far is when my kids aren't down here with me, they get jealous and use the remote control at home to screw with me.

Just recently got a WD TV Live box so I can connect to the internet without using the laptop. The only drawback is the remote control is pretty slow.

Slingbox Q's

bajaguy - 7-13-2013 at 07:30 PM

Can you use it for two TV's in Baja or would you have to get two boxes.....what about the internet status for two TV's???

mtnpop - 7-13-2013 at 07:46 PM

We have used a slingbox system for several years at our place in Mulege.
So far it has worked very well for us... It is nice to see at home news and sports...
The slingbox unit hooks to your cable or satellite receiver in the states as well as your internet... You need to have very good internet at your homebase... You will also want to have someone that can go to the unit and reset it or reboot it should there be a problem...
You control everything from your computer wherever you are if you can get a good internet connection.. You hard wire your computer to a tv set or watch on the computer...
You have to have cable or satellite at your home base to hook up to.
We pick off of Direct TV at our daughters home in colorado and have a dedicated receiver in her home.. we do draw down her internet when we are watching tv.. uses quite a bit of bandwidth..
Sling box has I believe units that serve more than one computer.. they have a solo unit which we use and they have HD units if you want...
Again,
we like ours to watch NFL games and news etc.. even when we are in hotels if they have good wifi... but it soes work better if its wired thru the ethernet port...
I would suggest you look at Amazon.com and read the reviews on each of the slingbox units.. many good and many bad... Amazon sells all of their units...
I hope this helps somewhat.. if not let me know, maybe we will have an answer as we have used for sometime now.. even at our cabin in the colorado rockies...
ross:light:

woody with a view - 7-13-2013 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
We pick off of Direct TV at our daughters home in colorado and have a dedicated receiver in her home..
Again,
we like ours to watch NFL games and news etc.. even at our cabin in the colorado rockies...
:light:

oh, you CHARGER fans!!!!

:P:lol::light::cool:

ncampion - 7-14-2013 at 06:09 AM

I assume that you need a good internet connection at the "receiving" end as well? We only get about 1.5mbps download speed here. Is that good enough?

grace59 - 7-14-2013 at 06:11 AM

Wow, thanks for all of the great info. Too bad I didn't hear about this sooner! I looked on Amazon and find these to be very reasonably priced. Can't wait to get one and try it out!

Russ - 7-14-2013 at 07:01 AM

try this:
http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox?displayVideo=true

LaTijereta - 7-14-2013 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
I assume that you need a good internet connection at the "receiving" end as well? We only get about 1.5mbps download speed here. Is that good enough?

Speeds in Loreto work fine.. even in the evening time when activity climbs..

Trying to "sling" to two different TV's at the "same time" would be a problem, as a message will come up " do you want to close down the other connection".. One option is to get another Slingbox to handle the other TV and have them run off the same cable box NOB..

mtnpop - 7-14-2013 at 08:39 AM

Multiple tv's on the receiving end might be a problem..
Telmex offers 4 or 5 different internet plans form 1 meg to I think 10 meg
We have the least plan 1 meg... you can go to speedtest.com and check the speed you are getting at your computer... even tho we are buying the 1 meg plan we actually receive 1.8 or 1.9 in coming speed.. so we can usually be watching tv, using the majicjack phone and be online doing other things with no problem...
of course we also use more than one computer to do all this.... one dedicated to slingbox and one for majicjack and internet surfing..
our house is also kind of the wifi spot in our park and others are online at times we are watching tv etc..
Telmex internet has been mostly very good in Mulege... can't complain on reliablilty or price...
and we are not Chargers fans... by a long shot....
sorry

mtnpop - 7-14-2013 at 08:43 AM

One more thing,,
If you do the slingbox thing,,, get everything set up at home,,, even your comuter that you will be using when you come south and make sure everything is working... To set up your computer you will have to load in the information on the specific slingbox, so if you set up at home and come south and don't have all the numbers then you are out a luck....

Alan - 7-15-2013 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnpop
One more thing,,
If you do the slingbox thing,,, get everything set up at home,,, even your comuter that you will be using when you come south and make sure everything is working... To set up your computer you will have to load in the information on the specific slingbox, so if you set up at home and come south and don't have all the numbers then you are out a luck....
Excellent advice and easy to do. If you don't want to tie up your computer the WD TV Live box for about $100 replaces the need for the computer and has its own remote control albeit very slow.