BajaNomad

Bionaire Bladeless Fans Operate On 12 Volt Off Grid

DavidE - 7-16-2013 at 02:59 PM

Very warm days for some Nomads. Having CFE, I have a couple of fans one of which is a very expensive Fantastic Endless Breeze 12 volt running through a brick.

Helping out* in the Miramar I happened to notice that the new shipment of NEW Bionaire Bladeless Fans use a brick and it too is 12 volts DC, i.e. battery power. 30 watts on high which is pretty frugal power usage. The fans have an infinite speed control. For 550 pesos an AC plus DC bladeless fan is a heck of a good deal. Eduardo says he can send no shipping charge a fan to as far as Mulegé.

*Means donating time for no recompense

Martyman - 7-16-2013 at 03:12 PM

I don't understand above. AC? Brick?

DavidE - 7-16-2013 at 03:25 PM

AC What all the wall sockets in your house has. You know, SCE, PG&E. Alternating current. Hoover Dam. 120VAC

Brick, the "brick-like" heavy box that connects a laptop to a wall socket (properly called a receptacle). Many bricks (also known as converters) plug directly into a wall socket, the brick has prongs on it.

Like other bricks the Bionaires, can be substituted with correct battery voltage. In this case it is 12 volts, what many solar voltaic systems use.

shari - 7-16-2013 at 03:29 PM

how much are the 12 volt fans?

DavidE - 7-16-2013 at 03:40 PM

The Fantastic Fan Endless Breeze cost me almost a hundred dollars with shipping. The Bionaire is BOTH twelve volts, and 120 VAC as you wish. Simply disconnect the brick and hook the wires from the fan to a battery. I'd get a plug later on from the states for instant changeover but usually folks wants theirs sunny side up or over easy, permanently.

Eduardo also got a Holmes, true HEPA air filter unit (99.97%) for allergy sufferers. This unit is AC only.

[Edited on 7-16-2013 by DavidE]

Bajaboy - 7-16-2013 at 04:06 PM

why not invest in solar?

comitan - 7-16-2013 at 04:48 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-3-speed-box-fan-endless-breeze-c...

willardguy - 7-16-2013 at 04:57 PM

here we go, bladeless technology. dyson marketed these overpriced under achievers as "air multipliers". now your endless breeze fan, muy bueno, but please pickleE, tell us why you believe the noisy, low output bionaire bladeless fan is a good choice? (yes we know you can't cut off your finger with one!) :?:

tripledigitken - 7-16-2013 at 07:54 PM

Check out the reviews on that unit....noisy!!!!!!!!

Hook - 7-16-2013 at 10:37 PM

Even the Endless Breeze fan is not THAT quiet. But it is probably the best 12v fan on the market.

How about 61.00 for a Camping World member?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/fan-tastic-endless...

DavidE - 7-17-2013 at 11:57 AM

It was the tax and shipping AND BRICK ACCESSORY that drove the price up. A silent fan? I know of none. Old fashioned (fire truck) sirens use the principle of air movement to make lots of noise.

As far as the endless breeze, the company was recently sold. They quoted me a price of FIFTY NINE NINETY NINE plus tax and shipping for a replacement motor which would be used as a spare. The fan has three speeds and many times I wish for an intermediate speed between 1-2-3. Why a replacement motor, instead of brushes and bushings? #1 try and find bushings. #2 the brush design is weird with the brush lead on the side instead of on the end. #3 the motor frame is spot welded together.

The Bionaire has an infinite speed control and it DOES NOT use a resistor to create heat to reduce fan speed.

Have kids? Oh yeah fans have finger guards but do they have pencil, coat hanger, and dirt thrown into the suction side of the blades guards?

The Bionaires are HERE not 1,200 miles round-trip beyond Aduana. I have a CA state board of equalization resale number, however that sixty one dollar figure needs a five dollar thirty four cents state tax added on. How much does the Camping World "membership" fee cost?

I do have a SEVENTY DOLLAR hundred watt rotary (squirrel cage) fan with adjustable speed but it uses a resistor - it sucks a hundred watts at any speed setting. But it does put out a lot of air. An adapted a HEPA filter over the intake so it does double duty. Left running 24/7 to clean the air it would consume 144 kWh bi-mestral - doubling my CFE kWh and putting me a bit into the tarifa excedente class.

Perhaps I should ask the critics WHICH fan out there is silent, AC and DC and affordable? I am always willing to learn.

tripledigitken - 7-17-2013 at 12:21 PM

Looked it up in Amazon and found the poor review. As a lite sleeper noise is important to me. Just passing on info you may not have known, and perhaps saving you a peso or two for a bad purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Bionaire-BDF2011A-BM-20-Inch-Bladeless...

willardguy - 7-17-2013 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
It was the tax and shipping AND BRICK ACCESSORY that drove the price up. A silent fan? I know of none. Old fashioned (fire truck) sirens use the principle of air movement to make lots of noise.

As far as the endless breeze, the company was recently sold. They quoted me a price of FIFTY NINE NINETY NINE plus tax and shipping for a replacement motor which would be used as a spare. The fan has three speeds and many times I wish for an intermediate speed between 1-2-3. Why a replacement motor, instead of brushes and bushings? #1 try and find bushings. #2 the brush design is weird with the brush lead on the side instead of on the end. #3 the motor frame is spot welded together.

The Bionaire has an infinite speed control and it DOES NOT use a resistor to create heat to reduce fan speed.

Have kids? Oh yeah fans have finger guards but do they have pencil, coat hanger, and dirt thrown into the suction side of the blades guards?

The Bionaires are HERE not 1,200 miles round-trip beyond Aduana. I have a CA state board of equalization resale number, however that sixty one dollar figure needs a five dollar thirty four cents state tax added on. How much does the Camping World "membership" fee cost?

I do have a SEVENTY DOLLAR hundred watt rotary (squirrel cage) fan with adjustable speed but it uses a resistor - it sucks a hundred watts at any speed setting. But it does put out a lot of air. An adapted a HEPA filter over the intake so it does double duty. Left running 24/7 to clean the air it would consume 144 kWh bi-mestral - doubling my CFE kWh and putting me a bit into the tarifa excedente class.

Perhaps I should ask the critics WHICH fan out there is silent, AC and DC and affordable? I am always willing to learn.
so just to be clear, the only reason to buy a bionaire bladeless snake oil fan is "your buddy has them on the shelf", correct?:?:

DavidE - 7-17-2013 at 02:24 PM

Guess you need reading or comprehension lessons, Willard.

willardguy - 7-17-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Guess you need reading or comprehension lessons, Willard.
oops I forgot you like the infinite speed control! if you're gonna recommend 12volt fans for off grid applications how bout you stick to cfm's per amp, something of value everyone can use. not whats on sale at the BAmart this week.:rolleyes:

DavidE - 7-17-2013 at 02:44 PM

AM02 Tower Fan Iron/Blue

$449.99

That's dollars.

That's AC

Has to be better than a $43.65 fan that runs on 18 watts 12 volts DC, right?

I'm STILL WAITING to see which genius recommends a quiet, inexpensive, 12 volt or 120 volt fan that is safe around small children. I'll probably wait a l-o-n-g time.

Compared to my hundred dollar FanTastic endless breeze fan, the Bionaire is just about as quiet.

I love to read the "criticism". It says soooooo much about the person :)

wessongroup - 7-17-2013 at 03:09 PM

Hey, if it works for YOU ..... :lol::lol:

willardguy - 7-17-2013 at 03:11 PM

good point david, but those of us who dont have the neighborhood muchacho's sticking fingers in fans, we'll stick to efficiency! ;)

DavidE - 7-17-2013 at 03:24 PM

Willardguy, no doubt yours is an intelligent decision. But for someone (else) off-grid with -limited- battery capacity an amp and a half is tempting. My FanTastic uses 3 amps on high. The issue in BA is dirt and dust, without question the dustiest place I have ever lived. So opening the windows all day is not an option unless I want to spread seed on my furniture, sprinkle water and have a garden. Foam filters for register plates placed at the roofline is on my shopping list.

Martyman - 7-17-2013 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
AC What all the wall sockets in your house has. You know, SCE, PG&E. Alternating current. Hoover Dam. 120VAC

Brick, the "brick-like" heavy box that connects a laptop to a wall socket (properly called a receptacle). Many bricks (also known as converters) plug directly into a wall socket, the brick has prongs on it.

Like other bricks the Bionaires, can be substituted with correct battery voltage. In this case it is 12 volts, what many solar voltaic systems use.

You don't have to be an ass all the time.

DavidE - 7-17-2013 at 04:25 PM

What? And not Bray At All The Absurd Comments?