BajaNomad

New Neighbors in Lopez Mateos

Mula - 7-17-2013 at 04:53 PM

A pair of Great Horned Owls moved into our palm tree 5 days ago . . .

I don't know if you can see him. He's right in the middle of the photo with his ears up.

He and his partner sit on the front gate various times during the night.

What kind of unusual neighbors do you have? (not the people kind)

[Edited on 7-17-2013 by Mula]

Bubba - 7-17-2013 at 04:57 PM

I have a couple living on my property also. Really awesome creatures.

danaeb - 7-17-2013 at 05:15 PM

In El Centenario, we've had an explosion of the mouse population, followed by rising numbers of snakes. I wonder if your owls are part of the same cycle.

shari - 7-17-2013 at 05:34 PM

We had a great horned owl as a pet..We aved him as an infant and Nico was a fantastic edition to the family. He grew up with the kitties & puppies and would play with them. He lived in our palapa on the patio and ate all the bugs, scorpions, spiders, snakes, mice and scared the hell out of people! They thought he was stuffed and they would scream when he moved...jajajaja. Town folk thought I was a witch because we had an owl. We would bring him road kill as a special treat and he also loved fish...unfortunately a puppy played too rough with him and sort of mauled him and he went to owl heaven.

Mula - 7-17-2013 at 05:40 PM

Cool!

BajaBlanca - 7-17-2013 at 05:55 PM

way cool!

willardguy - 7-17-2013 at 06:04 PM

all you OLD guys hit like if you remember the OWL shop in summerland! (sorry:cool:)

msteve1014 - 7-17-2013 at 06:08 PM

Crap, I guess I am old. I think I remember all the names for Pete's Reef too.

Osprey - 7-17-2013 at 06:10 PM

The main food source for Great Horned Owls is other owls.

Sooooo the more Great Horned Owls you see, the better (or the worse) . It's a point of view thing I guess. Now that I think of it, everything is. Who am I? What's this in my glass?

Owls

tehag - 7-17-2013 at 08:36 PM

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/owlp/ghowl/docume...

shari - 7-17-2013 at 08:44 PM

we were always finding stashes of food behind chairs, under tables...a rabbit leg here, a fish there...half a snake behind the planter...Nico was hiding snacks for later. And he would take great care in where he was going to divide up the snake...studying it from head to tail until he decided to chomp it in half or thirds or quarters depending how long the snake was. He was fascinating to watch. It took forever for him to grow his "horns" and would fly over and land on my plate if I was having waffles which he loved.

msteve1014 - 7-17-2013 at 09:03 PM

Your puppy was very lucky. I would hate to see what an angry owl could do.

bajacalifornian - 7-17-2013 at 09:45 PM

Hey Amiga . . . always fish hawks but not these for me while there.
Rodio this weekend. Mundo races as well. Miss you.

monoloco - 7-18-2013 at 06:05 AM

Shari, You might enjoy this video of an owl and a cat that someone recently sent me:http://youtu.be/mWhD5bc6Fmg

DENNIS - 7-18-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
The main food source for Great Horned Owls is other owls.

Great Horned Cannibals? YUCK

shari - 7-18-2013 at 08:38 AM

Mr.Loco....that is an amazing video....I sure wish I had video's Nico playing with the kitties too.

BajaRat - 7-18-2013 at 09:12 AM

We love them and have seasonally returning families every fall up here on the Az ranchito. The "ears" are actually tufts of feathers. They are powerful magic for some. Its interesting how different the views of North American Indigenous cultures are on this creature. One of our local tribes, the White Mountain Apache believe the great horn can speak Apache and are considered a bad omen. To the extent that if one takes up residence on one of their homes they will abandon it and someone in the family may die. Needless to say when I worked for the fire dept. down there I was asked to remove the great horn owl feather I was flying from my rear view mirror as I may give some community members the wrong idea, ie Brujo. :cool: Oh btw Boo!

[Edited on 7-18-2013 by BajaRat]

Bubba - 7-18-2013 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
we were always finding stashes of food behind chairs, under tables...a rabbit leg here, a fish there...half a snake behind the planter...Nico was hiding snacks for later. And he would take great care in where he was going to divide up the snake...studying it from head to tail until he decided to chomp it in half or thirds or quarters depending how long the snake was. He was fascinating to watch. It took forever for him to grow his "horns" and would fly over and land on my plate if I was having waffles which he loved.

Very cool.

bkbend - 7-19-2013 at 10:47 AM

If one is sitting on your gate at night and you walk by without knowing it's there, it'll scare the crap out of you when it takes off. When they spread their wings in the dark they look twice as large as the do in the daylight.

willardguy - 7-19-2013 at 11:14 AM

gotta love those hooters! (after 30 years a new logo!):D

Same Crappy Food

Bajahowodd - 7-19-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
gotta love those hooters! (after 30 years a new logo!):D

:lol::lol: