BajaNomad

navigation system

weebray - 7-18-2013 at 03:58 PM

Probly been talked about but can't find anything in search. Anyway what car navigation system do you like for the best maps of Baja?

Sandlefoot - 7-18-2013 at 04:23 PM

Just downloaded TomTom Mexico. Will be headed south next Monday through San Luis to Mex 5 to Laguna Chapala. On my way back to La Paz. I will post a reply when I get home and let you know how it went.

Happy Trails

Pescador - 7-18-2013 at 04:55 PM

The best system I have found is the BiCi Mapas for Garmin.

Here is the website.

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm

Mexico navigation

KasloKid - 7-18-2013 at 11:34 PM

Here's a discussion on maps etc:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=67937#pid8250...

Bruce R Leech - 7-19-2013 at 08:25 AM

I like Tomtom for Mexico

weebray - 7-19-2013 at 12:15 PM

Hmmm. This is all quite confusing. We have a gen 4 ipad which is suposed to be gps ready. Can we install a map navigation app that works away from the cellular grid? Is bicimapas, tom tom, garmin or magellan downloadable to an ipad?

More on Mexico navigation

KasloKid - 7-19-2013 at 02:58 PM

A google search turned this up:

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory

You would have to contact Apple to confirm the answer to your question.

Personally, I use a gps specific unit, which is only a gps. My preference is a Garmin mainly because of all the map software choices available for Baja. Garmin maps, whether using their own (City Navigator North America including Mexico) or third party maps, Bicimapas (supports auto routing and is also now owned by Garmin) or Cartografía GPS E32 (doesn't support auto routing). The latter two are topo style maps, and will do the job. If you're not venturing off-road, Garmin's City Navigator North America including Mexico will do the job very well.

Garmin is soley in the business of navigation, and Apple is in the business of diversified apps and such and I don't know who their map supplier is. I prefer to deal with Garmin, the navigation experts in this matter.

Maybe someone who owns a Tom Tom can chime in with their opinion of Mexico accuracy and ease of use.

You can buy a basic Garmin for not a lot of money these days. If you purchase one, consider one that has LM or LMT (Lifetime Map and Traffic updates ). Never have to pay for their 3 or so times a year map updates. Also one that includes all of North America and Mexico.

Another point to consider is that a GPS will attach to your windshield, out of the way without obstructing your view of the road. An iPad will have to remain beside you or on your lap... precious time taken away from watching the road to refer to the screen. :o

[Edited on 7-19-2013 by KasloKid]

GPS

PaulW - 7-19-2013 at 07:28 PM

Best GPS bet these days is Lowrance. Reason there is a huge database for Baja that is constantly being updated. Nothing like up to date roads and topography. Lowrance does not do city address locator like the typical mass market GPSs. What it does great is make trails and allow sharing with the community.
Downside they are expensive and have a huge learning curve to become proficient.
Best value for a Lowrnace would be the discontinued Global Map series starting with a 5" screen and going up from there.
PaulW

Bob and Susan - 7-20-2013 at 05:23 AM

the reality is the GPS's sold in stores will disappear soon

the "new generation" uses their internet on the phone
and everyone has a phone in "the real world"

newer cars come with gps but will accept a connection from the phone

only "old guys" need a free-standing gps...embrace the future

i'd buy the cheapest one with mexico maps if you really need a gps

PaulW - 7-20-2013 at 06:08 AM

Really?
What new car has a nav system that shows Baja roads and topo data? So far all I see is a blank screen and no ability to find map source to get the Baja data.
Yes most phones have apps for Baja, but how can one navigate with a 2" screen?
PaulW
================
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the reality is the GPS's sold in stores will disappear soon

the "new generation" uses their internet on the phone
and everyone has a phone in "the real world"

newer cars come with gps but will accept a connection from the phone

only "old guys" need a free-standing gps...embrace the future

i'd buy the cheapest one with mexico maps if you really need a gps

Udo - 7-20-2013 at 06:26 AM

You can use the iPAD, but you don't want to get the data bill from roaming in Mexico. Probably looking at a $200.00+ bill!

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Hmmm. This is all quite confusing. We have a gen 4 ipad which is suposed to be gps ready. Can we install a map navigation app that works away from the cellular grid? Is bicimapas, tom tom, garmin or magellan downloadable to an ipad?

Udo - 7-20-2013 at 06:30 AM

I personally have the Lowrance 78 series GPS and it also has all the marine data for Baja already downloaded. The Baja maps I have downloaded is on a mini SD card buried underneath the batteries. The map is just shows main roads through towns and Mex 1, plus all the topography of Baja.

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Best GPS bet these days is Lowrance. Reason there is a huge database for Baja that is constantly being updated. Nothing like up to date roads and topography. Lowrance does not do city address locator like the typical mass market GPSs. What it does great is make trails and allow sharing with the community.
Downside they are expensive and have a huge learning curve to become proficient.
Best value for a Lowrnace would be the discontinued Global Map series starting with a 5" screen and going up from there.
PaulW

Pescador - 7-20-2013 at 07:05 AM

Okay, if you have an I Pad that has GPS, you would not be using your 3G excekpt for updates. The most accurate program I have seen for navigating city streets and the like except for Garmin and BiCiMapas is the Ipad app called MotionX , GPS. It does an overlay on a Google map which makes it very accurate and updated. My friend uses it for aviation when he flies to Chivato from San Felipe and tells me it is spot on. There are no cell towers on that route so he is using pure GPS and no 3G connection. It has another feature which is very interesting. He can broadcast instant position like a SPOT GPS to any computer he chooses or IPhone and other I Pad, so we know where he is at all times whether on the boat, car, or plane.
Here is the info page on the app and it seems to me it was 99 cents when he loaded it.

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

Bob and Susan - 7-20-2013 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Really?
What new car has a nav system that shows Baja roads and topo data? So far all I see is a blank screen and no ability to find map source to get the Baja data.
Yes most phones have apps for Baja, but how can one navigate with a 2" screen?
PaulW

my buddy's wife bought one of those "fancy" foreign cars...
using Bluetooth she can access the BIG gps screen on the dash with her phone...
i'll get the info on my next trip north

i've never seen a 2 inch screen...you should upgrade to the BIG 4 incher :lol:
and of course...tell all your buddies it's a 9 incher:light:

BajaRat - 7-20-2013 at 08:56 AM

Loading the MotionGPX as we speak........
Thanks Pescador.
I recomend Yall visit their site to see what this is capable of. For 99 cents we're taking the plunge. :cool:

windgrrl - 7-20-2013 at 09:52 AM

Old school Garmin with lifetime updates for North America has worked well the past 3 years and frees up the iPad for other stuff. Looking at a Garmin Glo for the iPad.

Motion X app is great for the fun stuff.

There are GPS adapters available for the WiFi iPad for big screen navigation, but at $100 (link below), a person might as well get an iPad with GPS:
New Sky

[Edited on 7-20-2013 by windgrrl]