BajaNomad

EnsenadaDr

bajadave1 - 7-20-2013 at 07:29 AM

Check your U2U

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2013 at 01:04 PM

Your very kind offer

Thanks Baja Dave that was a very nice offer to lend me the book on Baja, where is Buena Vista? I meant to get back to you sooner but I have been running around like crazy. It's amazing to compare the "Old" Baja to the new Baja, sounds like it was a lot of fun in the old days (still is fun!!). Thanks so much again for following up with me and I appreciate the suggestions on books you gave me!!

Eli - 7-20-2013 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Your very kind offer

Thanks Baja Dave that was a very nice offer to lend me the book on Baja, where is Buena Vista? I meant to get back to you sooner but I have been running around like crazy. It's amazing to compare the "Old" Baja to the new Baja, sounds like it was a lot of fun in the old days (still is fun!!). Thanks so much again for following up with me and I appreciate the suggestions on books you gave me!!

Buena Vista is located on the Sea of Cortez, halfway between La Paz and San Jose.

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2013 at 01:37 PM

Thank you Eli!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
Your very kind offer

Buena Vista is located on the Sea of Cortez, halfway between La Paz and San Jose.

Skeet/Loreto - 7-20-2013 at 02:43 PM

Rancho Buena was the second places I went to in 1968.
Ray Cannon was operating the place. Food was Great, Fishing was Fantastic!!
We could go a shor way and catch Riisterfish, Yellowtail, Dorado and loads of bottom fish.
There was a small airstrip and usually had lots of People.
Every afternoon they would serve up a Grand Family dinner where we all ate together.
Skeet/Loreto

DavidE - 7-22-2013 at 10:24 AM

It may have been that "things" did not change much from the 60's until the highway opened in late '72 (at least most of it anyway). Nets may have decimated the sports fishing but vast, vast areas of the peninsula are unchanged from 500 or a thousand or who knows how many centuries ago...

We heard about Cannon's operation but big-time big game fishing wasn't on our bucket list. Places like Borrego de Oro were for a different class of people. Good thing too, years later a 41 pound yellowtail was foolish enough to accept my struggling sardine and proceeded to kick my butt. I swore off of "big game fish". A five pound fish is enough for me. Yeah, others helped me land the fish (it was hooked on the far side of Isla Tortuga) but our camp certainly could not handle all that meat. The fish was bleeding badly so there was no option but to keep it.

What I found amazing was how poverty=stricken Bajacalifornianos took the lifestyle of the ultra-rich and famous. There was no visible envy or anger. Rumor of twin engine aircraft, famous movie stars, foaming bottles of Dom Perignon, and solid gold watches were taken in stride.

The ongoing population explosion is both incredible and disheartening. The capes area is fast becoming a metropolis.

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
vast, vast areas of the peninsula are unchanged from 500 or a thousand or who knows how many centuries ago...

I'm not so sure there was even a Gulf that long ago, David, given the fact that Baja rolled away from the mainland, and continues to do so.

EnsenadaDr - 7-22-2013 at 11:02 AM

Yes you're right Dennis, we should be in Hawaii before we know it!! Aloha!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
vast, vast areas of the peninsula are unchanged from 500 or a thousand or who knows how many centuries ago...

I'm not so sure there was even a Gulf that long ago, David, given the fact that Baja rolled away from the mainland, and continues to do so.

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yes you're right Dennis, we should be in Hawaii before we know it!! Aloha

The "New San Felipe" will be in Montana.

sancho - 7-22-2013 at 11:36 AM

Some newbies proudly claim to be going to Baja
since WAY back in the '90's, as if that is some time
ago. Me, it was '82, which predates some, to others
it is also a newbie. Worked with a Teamster once who
told stories of carrying gasoline strapped to his back
on a motorcycle,
charting the first Baja 1000, maybe '66-'68? The
Peninsula is said to be moving no., except for that
plain that runs from La Paz to the Pacific, the Cape
area is said not to be moving, staying in place,
someday becoming an island of sorts, I think the
Cape was connected to Vallarta on the mainland

DavidE - 7-22-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sheesh I wrote centuries not Epochs.

Given enough time Honolulu will be rubbing elbows with Vladivostok.

"Pineapple juice with your vodka, da?"

EnsenadaDr - 7-22-2013 at 12:36 PM

I laughed at that one David, but how in heck is San Felipe gonna be rubbing elbows with Montana?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BajaBlanca - 7-22-2013 at 12:57 PM

Buena Vista is a beautiful area!

EnsenadaDr - 7-25-2013 at 05:04 PM

So Blanca, you are just south of Santo Tomas which is south of Maneadero/Ensenada?

This Is How I "Figure How Montana Will Rub Elbows With Sn Felipe"

DavidE - 7-25-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
I laughed at that one David, but how in heck is San Felipe gonna be rubbing elbows with Montana?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Yellowstone Caldera finally says "Oh What The Hell?"

Ejecta flies 600 miles straight up, and that pesky North Dakota wind, you know the one that the Dakotans say "Ain't nuthin tween us and the north pole cept a barbed wire fence"....

Six hundred billion gadzillion tons of Montana comes straight down on San Felipe.

DENNIS - 7-25-2013 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
So Blanca, you are just south of Santo Tomas which is south of Maneadero/Ensenada?

San Vicente is south of Sto. Tomas. You have to go farther south.
Get a map from Google.

EnsenadaDr - 7-25-2013 at 09:38 PM

She has on her location Bocana. I know San Vicente is south of Santo Tomas but I didn''t know where Bocana was. Ah, it says Baja California Sur on her profile so it is a lot further south than San Vicente.

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 07:11 AM

South of Asuncion.......west of Mulege.

http://www.vmapas.com/America/Mexico/Baja_California_Sur/Map...

mulegejim - 7-26-2013 at 07:39 AM

Dennis is correct, the La Bocana that Blanca is at is south of Asuncion and north of Abreojos on the Pacific coast of Baja. There is a La Bocana also on the coast west of about Santo Tomas....Jack Smith wrote a book called "God and Mr. Gomez" about building a vacation house there. The book should be required reading for anyone thinking of building in Baja. Jim

David K - 7-26-2013 at 08:54 AM

The beach west of El Rosario is also called La Bocana...

Like most hot springs being called 'Agua Caliente', most places a river reaches the sea or the mouth of a lagoon is located, it is called 'La Bocana'.

Spanish has far fewer words than English to use for place names, it would seem?

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Spanish has far fewer words than English to use for place names, it would seem?

I think most of these names were put in place when they were really isolated.
I never could understand why the early settlers didn't use the internet for things like this. :lol:

Bajatripper - 7-31-2013 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
She has on her location Bocana. I know San Vicente is south of Santo Tomas but I didn''t know where Bocana was. Ah, it says Baja California Sur on her profile so it is a lot further south than San Vicente.

La Bocana is related to "boca" which is mouth in Spanish. It is used quite a bit in Mexico to designate where arroyos empty into the ocean.