BajaNomad

The best little no-tell motel in Baja Otay Mesa!!

EnsenadaDr - 7-20-2013 at 02:06 PM

After a long grueling harrowing day, my daughter and I ended up at the Otay Mesa border crossing, where the Sentri line at 5 pm was very long and the traffic extremely congested this past Friday evening.

We decided to get something to eat, and just stay overnight at a no-tell motel that DENNIS recommended on a tip from a friend of his that was receiving chemotherapy in the States and was crossing every day during the week.

We stopped at Mariscos Negro Durazo, in Otay (I thought the spelling was wrong since I thought it should have been Durazno, or peach) but turns out that "El Negro Durazo" was the Chief of Police in Mexico City in the late 60's and early 70's. The food was great, and the ambience "familiar" with twinkling lights and large palapas inside. The Mariachis were the best I have ever heard live.

We then proceeded on recommendation from the waiter to Motel Otay which was a very nice, newly renovated motel a few blocks away. If you have ever been in these types of motels you drive right in like a homestyle garage and walk up steps to the inside rooms which were very luxurious and had a jacuzzi in the main room. They also had a food and beverage delivery service and a lazy susan going to the outside so you didn't have to open the door.

There were two TV's but for those underage do not go past Channel 69 literally! During the week the price is $25 American but doubles that on the weekend...it was well worth it though, and we made it very comfortably across the border on Saturday morning.

[Edited on 7-20-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

El Jefe - 7-20-2013 at 04:02 PM

Ah yes, the stabbin' cabins! They've got them all over Mexico. Usually on the outskirts of town, very discrete. Often associated with short term use for love affairs, but probably most popular with married couples needing a little "quiet time" away from the kids and abuelas.

Bajahowodd - 7-20-2013 at 05:01 PM

Usually called Motor Hotels, and almost universally have high walls around the property, and gates.

DENNIS - 7-20-2013 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe

Ah yes, the stabbin' cabins!

That is hilarious. :lol:

woody with a view - 7-20-2013 at 05:58 PM

we used to call it a "Flack shack in the back!"

rhintransit - 7-20-2013 at 06:39 PM

having stayed in no-tell motels in Mexico, both La Paz and on the mainland, I had no concerns whatsoever when we tried to stay at one on the north end of Ensenada this past weekend.
we'd driven to Ensenada arriving around 5pm and were surprised to see the streets and restaurants were packed. as were the hotels....not a room to be found in any price range anywhere in town. that took about two hours to establish, by which time we were exhausted, frustrated, and too tired to drive on to the border. we found a no-tell with some open carports, but on asking at the office, were told that we could only stay four hours. period. sorry. no exceptions. maybe an Ensenada city law? or other establishments wink at over-nights? no se.

paranewbi - 7-20-2013 at 06:58 PM

This misses and I always stay at the one outside Tampico
Of course we ****** the place with great quantities of Holy water before restin

paranewbi - 7-20-2013 at 07:00 PM

Wow! I didn't know doosh was a forbidden word! I didn't know there were forbidden words at all...never tried to use them and thought I wasn't now!

DENNIS - 7-20-2013 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Wow! I didn't know doosh was a forbidden word!

:lol: You got the machine on a bad day. Don't take it personally. It happens to all of us.