BajaNomad

Traveling with a badge

Pages:  1  

measomsan - 7-22-2013 at 10:31 AM

Headed down to Cabo again this time with my brother. He is 40ty years law enforcement here in Texas. Constable. I have wiggled out of a few tickets telling Feds in Mexico my brother is law enforcement.

So does anyone have first hand experience traveling with someone with a badge? Will the cops in Mexico respect his service, or should we not pull it out ?

He is inclined not to bring it. I want it so we can hall (ass)across Texas and not get tickets.

Doug/Vamonos - 7-22-2013 at 10:42 AM

Haha. I'm not a cop but do work in city government. I've talked my way out of several tickets by showing them my city id when they ask me what i do. Never works in the US but it does work for me in Baja!

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 10:53 AM

Just wondering what activities you're planning that would even prompt this question? :?:

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
He is inclined not to bring it. I want it so we can hall (burro)across Texas and not get tickets.

Well, throwing your weight around (in this case, badge) doesn't always work, it actually rubs some people the wrong way but if you truly do want it to just "hall burro across Texas and not get tickets" then put it away once you hit the border and don't act like a big shot.

PS. Your brother is paid by citizens tax dollars to up hold the law, what gives him the right "to hall burro across Texas and not get tickets"? He is after all breaking the law, no?

[Edited on 7-22-2013 by Bubba]

The Gold Card

bajaguy - 7-22-2013 at 11:33 AM

Never leave home without it!!

Russ - 7-22-2013 at 11:41 AM

Doesn't his drivers license show he's retired law enforcement? Minimum take the retirement ID and put it with the DR. Badges work really fast though.

bajacalifornian - 7-22-2013 at 11:58 AM

Watch his nuts if he ever put bad boyz in prison

DavidE - 7-22-2013 at 12:09 PM

A think a few million others travel quite successfully without benefit of shield or star.

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

The Gold Card
Never leave home without it!!

Jeeezo....I don't know. From an outside view, there seems to be something sleazy about elitism.

Just more of "The Free Donut Syndrome," I suppose, but wadoIcare? I imagine it happens everywhere.....although, I'm sure I've seen WalMart employees paying for their purchases. :biggrin:

measomsan - 7-22-2013 at 12:20 PM

Texas is 80 mph out west. So if we do 85 or so his badge gets a by. Just the way it is. Lighten up, he pays taxes also

My feeling is the wack stops that happen time too time. I have a house near the east cape and bring a FJ cruiser down with stuff my wife does not want to ship. If we get red lighted crossing I have list of value and will pay in import then.
Anyway we will not be breaking any laws, but my thinking the brother card might stop a harassment stuff.
Just a thought

larryC - 7-22-2013 at 01:35 PM

I'm a retired firefighter, and once in Ensenada I was stopped for not stopping at a stop sign. I had stopped but how to prove it? Anyway, the officer asked what I did for a living and I showed him my badge and he let me go with just a warning to be sure to stop at the signs just like I had done. So sometimes it works, at least on a bogus ticket.

BajaParrothead - 7-22-2013 at 01:38 PM

I frequently travel the peninsula from Northern California to Los Barriles (as recently as last week) and have never had the thought of using my badge to persuade them on how to best do their job. Respect them, they will likely respect you.
On the other hand, I have heard plenty of stories on how the badge or L.E. ID has escalated a stop into something greater. One case in point, a CA L.E. officer lost his badge and ID to a local TJ cop who decided to keep it as a souvenir. Many Mexican L.E. are not completely on the up and up, so they may have a natural distrust, or even dislike for other L.E. officials.
After 27 years in law enforcement, my advice is put it away and be respectful; as you would as a guest in someone else's home, IMHO.
Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Don't need no stinkin' badges!

John M - 7-22-2013 at 01:44 PM

I'll preface my remarks by saying I am only referring to stops for traffic violations - not DUI - and no other violations or more serious events.

Through the mid 70s to the late 1980s we worked SCORE checkpoints, many times involving highway crossings. It wasn't unusual to have local police, or state highway police there, helping. On several occasions I talked with the cops about this very topic. Generally they didn't seem to be insulted but instead enjoyed the idea of working these assignments with "other" cops, and I took away from this the thought that I'd certainly show my ID card if stopped on the highway.

I think whipping out a badge immediately, expecting some professional courtesy is not the way to handle it. I'd probably compliment the cop on his professionalism (no matter what) and sharp appearance. Sort of get on his good side, or maybe it's just buttering him up!

I wouldn't hesitate to include my (now retired) ID card along with my drivers license, with a comment about my being a cop in a big city. Can't hurt.

A variation of this approach has worked a couple of times for us, we got off with a warning.

One huge mistake is that I tried it crossing back into the U.S. - had my ID on the dash and I don't for the life of me know why. YIKES did I get a lecture and sent directly into secondary. I'll never try that again!

John M

measomsan - 7-22-2013 at 01:49 PM

I respect that BajaParrothead, as I know my brother will. I have many cops as budo brothers that we trained together many moons ago. Now over 60ty in the states I rely on other ways of self defense. But cannot bring those down.

We will drive safe and obey rules. My brother is 67 so I do not know how many more trips together we will have. He has never driven down, just few into Cabo and stayed. I enjoy the drive and feel blessed to get to share it with him.

Thanks again for the input. I am a fan of BajaNomad

J.P. - 7-22-2013 at 01:50 PM

A cop that would show his Badge to get out of a ticket is no better than a cop that takes a bribe. He is a low life.

Bling

bajaguy - 7-22-2013 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by measomsan
Headed down to Cabo again this time with my brother. He is 40ty years law enforcement here in Texas. Constable. I have wiggled out of a few tickets telling Feds in Mexico my brother is law enforcement.

So does anyone have first hand experience traveling with someone with a badge? Will the cops in Mexico respect his service, or should we not pull it out ?

He is inclined not to bring it. I want it so we can hall (burro)across Texas and not get tickets.

I have found that Mexican Law Enforcement really like to talk to a fellow cop and or firefighter from the US. The Mexican firefighters really roll out the red carpet if you visit their house (station).

I suggest your brother bring shoulder patches from his agency or other agencies.......the Mexican law Enforcement like the bling.

mtgoat666 - 7-22-2013 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
A cop that would show his Badge to get out of a ticket is no better than a cop that takes a bribe. He is a low life.

some cops feel they are above the law,... stay classy do-do nutters!

:lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 7-22-2013 at 02:36 PM

Yeah I can just see flashing a badge at a cop whose sister had just been "processed" for not having a license or insurance in the states. No Way In Hell am I going to try and exclude or exempt myself from a most exalted status of "Peenche Turista"

[Edited on 7-22-2013 by DavidE]

elgatoloco - 7-22-2013 at 02:49 PM

Badges!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

:lol:

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
We will drive safe and obey rules.

You're starting to back track here on me cowboy. You already stated you wanted to bring a badge so you could "haul burro across Texas". Hauling ass is neither safe nor obeying rules. What exactly are you saying or looking for?

PS. Why do you even need a badge when off duty? Do you feel there's some type of entitlement? You or your brother are paid public servants, paid quite well I might add, paid for by people like me. You were paid to serve and protect, not to come on a public forum and ask what you can get away with by flashing your badge. Quite frankly sir, your post disgusts me.

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 04:20 PM

Quote:

I suggest your brother bring shoulder patches from his agency or other agencies.......the Mexican law Enforcement like the bling.

Ohhh good. Now were into bribery by cop. :o

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

some cops feel they are above the law,...

Could be, but when they start thinking they are the law, it becomes a problem.

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ohhh good. Now were into bribery by cop. :o

No, you're wrong. It's called greasing the palm. A wink and a nod, ask any corrupt cop.

measomsan - 7-22-2013 at 04:27 PM

Disgust this. You don't really live in the real world do you? Maybe in your parents basement posting when they are not looking.

Been myself involved for many years with law enforcement. Mexico is a little different. maybe you have not noticed. You sound a bit like a lib-tard hooked on hugs and feeling good. others took it in the way I was asking. You sir need a life....Now go hug a tree

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Disgust this. You don't really live in the real world do you? Maybe in your parents basement posting when they are not looking.

Been myself involved for many years with law enforcement. Mexico is a little different. maybe you have not noticed. You sound a bit like a lib-tard hooked on hugs and feeling good. others took it in the way I was asking. You sir need a life....Now go hug a tree

Who the efff are you talking to?

bledito - 7-22-2013 at 04:35 PM

using ones badge as leverage is an insult to all the law adiding .

Barry A. - 7-22-2013 at 04:41 PM

----30 years in city and Fed LE, now retired----------

-----leave the badge at home when going to Mexico------.

I always carry it in the States as it has my Firearms Permit and LE ID in the folder with the badge. I have NEVER "flashed it" tho unless specifically asked to----not a good idea at all.

Barry

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 05:03 PM

OK....What's worse....flashing a badge....or flashing money.

Tell me. I wanna know?

bajacalifornian - 7-22-2013 at 05:09 PM

Can't help you DENNIS. I haven't either.

willardguy - 7-22-2013 at 05:16 PM

flashing for beads? :coolup:

monoloco - 7-22-2013 at 05:20 PM

Maybe we should all buy tin badges and pretend we're cops when in Mexico. For $75 we can really impress the Mexican police with a genuine FBI badge.
http://www.badge-police.com/index.php?route=product/product&...

[Edited on 7-23-2013 by monoloco]

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Who the efff are you talking to?

I believe he was speaking directly to me, which is ok. I called him on his stuff, he was caught and confronted and then did exactly what I expected he would do, see his post for confirmation.

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
----30 years in city and Fed LE, now retired----------

-----leave the badge at home when going to Mexico------.

I always carry it in the States as it has my Firearms Permit and LE ID in the folder with the badge. I have NEVER "flashed it" tho unless specifically asked to----not a good idea at all.

Barry

Thank you for your service, it's deeply appreciated. I've lost three close friends in the line of duty, these were stand up men that wouldn't even think of flashing a badge, much less go on a public forum and ask about it.

monoloco - 7-22-2013 at 05:38 PM

I'd like to ask anyone here who worked in law enforcement if they would be inclined to give a Mexican citizen a break if they showed a badge from a Mexican police department?

bajaguy - 7-22-2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I'd like to ask anyone here who worked in law enforcement if they would be inclined to give a Mexican citizen a break if they showed a badge from a Mexican police department?

P.U.N.G.D.O.T.S.

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba

I believe he was speaking directly to me, which is ok. I called him on his stuff, he was caught and confronted and then did exactly what I expected he would do, see his post for confirmation.

Awww..thanks, Bubba. I thought I was under attack. I went in the bedroom and put on camo......just in case. :lol:

willardguy - 7-22-2013 at 06:26 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: only nomads could turn this into a hot button topic! lets get to the important chit, KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!:bounce:

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Awww..thanks, Bubba. I thought I was under attack. I went in the bedroom and put on camo......just in case. :lol:

No worries Dennis, I was busy checking my ccw permit when he back tracked and tried to re-load. It's all good.

DENNIS - 7-22-2013 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!

KATE IS A BABE.

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: only nomads could turn this into a hot button topic! lets get to the important chit, KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!:bounce:

What's a Kate?

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!

KATE IS A BABE.

Oh, never mind, got it. Kate has a nice butt.

for Bajaparrothead

John M - 7-22-2013 at 07:43 PM

In your service in law enforcement, which I suppose included time in uniform "on the streets" - how many other law enforcement officers did you cite for minor traffic violations?

John M

willardguy - 7-22-2013 at 09:13 PM

do you boys have one in particular that seems to work better than others?

mtgoat666 - 7-22-2013 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Christ, there are some high and mighty types here! I am certain that on all those long stretches of road you are all doing 60kph or the 40kph through 10 house towns that is posted! [p/quote]

Some of us are higher beings!

Re cops in Mexico, never been pulled over in Mexico, when I hear nomads say they get pulled over frequently, I wonder about their advancing age and diminished driving abilities,... Some people can't see their own flaws

Re speeding, I always drive like it is my street.. I don't like speeders on my street, and I don't speed on other people's streets, common courtesy. I do notice that most people are a$$holes and incapable of common courtesy,. :(:(:lol::lol:

Re cops wanting special treatment from other cops, enough said,...

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Just gotta say... I carry my retired FF badge with me and it is a brotherhood. Works with a lot of cops and FF's all over the world because we have worked in an area of life that most people don't.
It has led to some interesting conversations here in Mexico. And, no, I don't get pulled over all the time.. But, it does happen since there are bills to pay in this country and wages are low.
Get over it. Welcome to Mexico!
chit, my wife got out of a ticket because she was wearing a capoeira shirt and the cop loves and practices capoeira! Holy chit! Shoot her!

Whatever... I never flash it at anyone but there is a common idioma within that world that all who have been in the business speak.

Christ, there are some high and mighty types here! I am certain that on all those long stretches of road you are all doing 60kph or the 40kph through 10 house towns that is posted!

Too funny.

[Edited on 7-23-2013 by soulpatch]

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Just gotta say... I carry my retired FF badge with me and it is a brotherhood. Works with a lot of cops and FF's all over the world because we have worked in an area of life that most people don't.
It has led to some interesting conversations here in Mexico. And, no, I don't get pulled over all the time.. But, it does happen since there are bills to pay in this country and wages are low.
Get over it. Welcome to Mexico!
chit, my wife got out of a ticket because she was wearing a capoeira shirt and the cop loves and practices capoeira! Holy chit! Shoot her!

Whatever... I never flash it at anyone but there is a common idioma within that world that all who have been in the business speak.

Christ, there are some high and mighty types here! I am certain that on all those long stretches of road you are all doing 60kph or the 40kph through 10 house towns that is posted!

Too funny.

I've been in the "business" soulpatch and lost close brothers in the line of duty but there was never a "common idioma" when it came to breaking the law. I'm definitely not "high and mighty" and absolutely not "Too funny" when I speak of paid public servants asking if it's ok to basically abuse the power. Copy that?

[Edited on 7-23-2013 by Bubba]

Barry A. - 7-22-2013 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!

KATE IS A BABE.

Have you seen her sister???

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!

KATE IS A BABE.

Does she have a nice butt?

willardguy - 7-22-2013 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
KATE HAD HER BABY!!!!!!!

KATE IS A BABE.

Does she have a nice butt?
amazing gene pool!:o

Bajafun777 - 7-22-2013 at 10:49 PM

Showing badges in Mexico would be risky and since you have no weapons no reason to place hands on dash in front of you with your ID & badge like in the USA. No need to look for any courtesy that would not be given to anyone that an officer would normally give due to the issue they pull you over for. Even non-lawenforce get pulled over and get the warnings to just drive on. So, better to use your talk and if you think a ticket is off base better to use the jargon of law enforcement on the vehicle code you think they are off base on in trying to cite you. Now, this will get their attention just as fast as a badge would.
If you live in Mexico join clubs like Footprinters, which has functions that Mexican and other government law enforcement officers go to. The interaction with them and getting to know the Mexican Law Enforcement systems or issues concerning them is better education for you. Footprinters also helps with fundraisers for Mexican Officers killed or injuried in the line of duty just like PORAC or Associations do for cops in the USA.
Now, speeding excessively in Mexico or USA gets everyone on edge as we have all had close calls due to others speeding, so be safe allow more time and enjoy each day like it is you last but hopefully it is not. Take Care & Travel Safe-----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

BajaParrothead - 7-22-2013 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
In your service in law enforcement, which I suppose included time in uniform "on the streets" - how many other law enforcement officers did you cite for minor traffic violations?

John M

John M,
I can honestly say there have been very few. I can count them on one hand and have some fingers left. But there have also been a few firefighters and several correctional officers through the years, but each of them had it coming. There are many times when discretion can be used and rare cases where there is really no more room for discretion. Arrogance and disrespect will get my attention every time.

To weigh in on the rest of the conversation, may I add a little insight:
Nearly 50% of the cops that are killed in the line of duty are killed in traffic related incidents every year. (http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases...)
It gets a little irritating to travel at high speeds, putting myself and others at risk in order to stop a high speed violator, only to find out they're off duty. It is even more irritating to be greeted with arrogance and a sense of impunity while traffic is flying by at 75 MPH and some of them are drifting on the shoulder where we are conducting business.
I don't mean to sound bitter, but there is always another perspective that can be overlooked.
With all due respects,
BajaParrothead

Bubba - 7-22-2013 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Hey Bubba, lighten up!
Did I say I was breaking the law?
And could you enlightened ones figure out your quote boxes?
Hard to decipher your thoughts from the original.... well, not really, only takes a second or two.
Lordy, take a breath.....
In.... out..... in.....try to get under 20 a minute.:spingrin:

I live in Mexico, you live in Pismo.... the law down here is a bit different if you haven't noticed or bothered ever talking to your brothers south of the border.... lot's of really great guys down here trying to keep the peace and mayhem in check.

Wow, never ONCE pulled a professional conversation with an on-duty guy you didn't know personally?

Come on.....

Hi Soulpatch, I'm sorry if my "quote boxes" didn't meet your standards and criteria but it's definitely not hard to decipher what I had to say. I'll reiterate one more time just for you. I don't like corrupt law enforcement and people "flashing" a badge (which I pay for) it's corrupt to me and my brothers that fell in the line of duty. I'm not about to get in a swinging dick contest with you soulpatch, you're not worth my time, your arrogant, above the law attitude and response showed your true colors. Do you copy this cowboy?

bigjohn - 7-22-2013 at 11:17 PM

My brother is a LA County Fireman and we were pulled over once in Tijuana by a motorcycle officer and him showing his FF badge kept me from getting a ticket (for something I never did in the first place), go figure! :yes:

Bubba - 7-23-2013 at 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn
My brother is a LA County Fireman and we were pulled over once in Tijuana by a motorcycle officer and him showing his FF badge kept me from getting a ticket (for something I never did in the first place), go figure! :yes:

Your brother handing the motorcycle officer a 20 dollar bill would of had the same effect without dishonoring the badge. Go figure!

LancairDriver - 7-23-2013 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn

Your brother handing the motorcycle officer a 20 dollar bill would of had the same effect without dishonoring the badge. Go figure!

Seems IF you were in law enforcement you have done more to dishonor "the badge" with your ridiculous responses to these posts. Go back to your dreams of what an honorable individual you imagined you were.:lol::lol:

monoloco - 7-23-2013 at 07:09 AM

The law should apply to everyone equally, expecting to be treated differently by flashing a badge implies that you somehow feel that you are above the law because of your status as a law enforcement officer, an attitude that is contrary to the oath you have taken to uphold the law.

mulegemichael - 7-23-2013 at 07:27 AM

ok, i'll bite on this ridiculous conversation.....over the years when stopped in baja by a cop for an obvious mordita gulp and when asked for i.d., i will show my retired L.E. id card and a copy of my drivers license...i've never paid mordita...and i don't feel like i "disrespected" my job as a past officer.....

many many times at military checkpoints the searching soldier will find my collapsible asp under my drivers seat and ask what it is...i show them by snapping it open and we're almost always on our way immediately...no harm, no foul.

rhintransit - 7-23-2013 at 07:44 AM

I've only been stopped once in Mexico for a legitimate infraction (though that one was a routine set-up) and several other times for driving while gringa.
I've used tears, indignation, sweet dumbness, and once my throw-away license (which was returned when I said I couldn't come to the station tomorrow but would be glad to stop by in three or four days when I came back through)
whatever works for you is fine, as long as it's a bogus stop.

motoged - 7-23-2013 at 01:51 PM

Quote:

Measomsan,
You refer to your brother as the LEO in this situation, and that you have been involved with LEO: "I have many cops as budo brothers that we trained together many moons ago..."

So is your involvement with LEO having "connections" through the family (brother) and your martial art training....or as an enforcement officer yourself?

Either way, what would your sensei say about benefiting from your brother's work experience when trying to avoid responsibility for your behaviour ( i.e. breaking the law by speeding) ?

Identifying yourself as following budo, it suggests that your own moral development is important....and your interest in following budo is beyond just learning fighting techniques:

"Budo:
The term refers to the idea of formulating propositions, subjecting them to philosophical critique and then following a 'path' to realize them. Dō signifies a "way of life". Dō in the Japanese context, is an experiential term, experiential in the sense that practice (the way of life) is the norm to verify the validity of the discipline cultivated through a given art form. The modern budō has no external enemy, only the internal enemy, one's ego that must be fought.

Similarly to budō, bujutsu is a compound of the roots bu (武;), and jutsu (術:じゅつ;), meaning technique.[7] Thus, budō is translated as "martial way",[8][9][10] or "the way of war"[citation needed] while bujutsu is translated as "science of war" or "martial craft." However, both budō and bujutsu are used interchangeably in English with the term "martial arts".[citation needed] Budo and bujutsu have quite a delicate difference; whereas bujutsu only gives attention to the physical part of fighting (how to best defeat an enemy), budo also gives attention to the mind and how one should develop oneself. Modern budo uses aspects of the lifestyle of the samurai of feudal Japan and translates them to self-development in modern life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud%C5%8D

As for the tree-hugging/libtard insult....no one accused you of being a pre-Copernican knuckle-dragging texan....:light:

You also indicated initially that your brother was reluctant to follow your lead when you suggested using HIS credentials to excuse YOUR behaviour....seems like your brother understands what "the right thing to do" is ...

DENNIS - 7-23-2013 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
a pre-Copernican knuckle-dragging texan....:light:

If that doesn't bring Skeet to the party, nothing will. :lol:

DENNIS - 7-23-2013 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
whatever works for you is fine, as long as it's a bogus stop.

Yeah...I'll buy that although I'm not sure that's what's being discussed here. :?:

willardguy - 7-23-2013 at 03:02 PM

wasn't this funner when it was about kate? :bounce:

Bubba - 7-23-2013 at 03:07 PM

Quote:

Absolutely! :bounce:

Bajafun777 - 7-23-2013 at 03:28 PM

Kate ain't got no stinking BADGE!!! LOL You guys only wish she did and would show it to you!! LOL Now, back to the name calling and friendly baja advise, LOL. Just remember people post stuff online which they really didn't think about before hitting the POST REPLY button so "EASY ON THE EASY NOMADS."
Look, life is too short to be saying angry remarks which really doesn't help make your point to the one your writing to. Not identifying yourself as law enforcement in Mexico is still a very good policy to follow, just say your a beer distributor you will get more praise! Take Care & Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

DENNIS - 7-23-2013 at 03:56 PM

Quote:

Kate's ready to get "bigged' again. This time she's gonna have a queen. We just hope it's a girl. Don' need no steeenkin scandals in the palace now, do we.

motoged - 7-23-2013 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
a pre-Copernican knuckle-dragging texan....:light:

If that doesn't bring Skeet to the party, nothing will. :lol:

Well, I would welcome Skeet's views....cuz reading his posts is like reading a Dr. Bronners soap label....and because he would also digress into a conversation about T&A when the thinking got too difficult...:biggrin:

Oh, and while I have the microphone:

"Funner" .....The dumb person's way of saying 'more fun'

:saint:

DENNIS - 7-23-2013 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
a Dr. Bronners soap label....

Great reading. I still use the peppermint soap today. Second choice is Eucalyptus.

DENNIS - 7-23-2013 at 05:22 PM

Here ya go.....click on the peppermint label for starters:

http://www.drbronner.com/dr_bronners_philosophy.php

slimshady - 7-23-2013 at 06:20 PM

Leave the badge at home and carry the ID in your wallet. That's what I do. The last thing you want is people knowing your a cop from the US. I know the guy in the previously mentioned posts who flashed his badge and id to a TJ cop and both were taken.

motoged - 7-23-2013 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
a Dr. Bronners soap label....

Great reading. I still use the peppermint soap today. Second choice is Eucalyptus.

Dennis,
I am so pleased that you not only are aware of the reference...:bounce:

...but that you use it. :saint: :cool:

I didn't know you were a Whole Earth Catalog refugee...:biggrin:

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-23-2013 at 08:32 PM

I always take my badge with me to Mexico. I only pull it out when necessary such as getting out of a ticket. It has always worked for me.

mulegemichael - 7-23-2013 at 08:33 PM

Mother Earth News, baby!!!!

motoged - 7-23-2013 at 09:20 PM

Dammit.....a bunch of undercover hippies hanging out here:biggrin:

Bajaahh - 7-23-2013 at 09:22 PM

http://cdn04.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/...

willardguy - 7-23-2013 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaahh
one word. ROYAL!:bounce:

mtgoat666 - 7-23-2013 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
I always take my badge with me to Mexico. I only pull it out when necessary such as getting out of a ticket. It has always worked for me.

Elvis8:
Didn't they take away your badge when you got fired?

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-24-2013 at 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R

Elvis8:
Didn't they take away your badge when you got fired?

durrelllrobert - 7-24-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaahh
one word. ROYAL!:bounce:

and no red badge of courage?

monoloco - 7-24-2013 at 08:52 AM

Apparently, many law enforcement folks on both sides of the border believe that the laws don't apply equally to them.

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Anyone have a problem with the above? Tough.

Using authority as currency? No No.........who would have a problem with that.

Tell me though.........does this "courtesy" work both ways? I mean, if a Mexican cop was pulled over in Anaheim for hauling butt down the road, and he flashed a badge, would he get a courtesy pass?
Seems he would from some folks here, and that bothers me.

Let's hear all you "honest cops" give your opinion on this.

chuckie - 7-24-2013 at 09:18 AM

I am always amazed at the things that Gringos think they can do in Mexico to avoid obeying the laws of this country. Long discussions about how to get stuff across the border illegally, and now this....The term "Ugly American" seems to fit some of these people.

bajaguy - 7-24-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I am always amazed at the things that Gringos think they can do in Mexico to avoid obeying the laws of this country. Long discussions about how to get stuff across the border illegally, and now this....The term "Ugly American" seems to fit some of these people.

I also marvel how some people on this board openly admit, quite proudly, that guilty or not they pay mordita to avoid a traffic ticket. :?:

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 09:31 AM

Quote:

I also marvel how some people on this board openly admit, quite proudly, that guilty or not they pay mordita to avoid a traffic ticket. :?:

True, with one glaring discrepancy........Mexican cops rarely bargain with traffic tickets. The " Multa" on the table is usually much more severe.

J.P. - 7-24-2013 at 09:36 AM

Quote:

The key word here is AVOID Eliminate the hassle and or paper trail.

latina - 7-24-2013 at 10:35 AM

Does the "brotherhood" really extend outside the boundaries of your own country of allegiance???? I don't think so....

What makes you think that a gringo flipping his badge to get out of a ticket would garner any respect from a mexican cop?

The starting salary for a cop in the LAPD is $48,462/yr. while the lowly police officer in Tijuana pulls in about $4200 a year.

Seriously?????

willardguy - 7-24-2013 at 11:13 AM

I dont doubt that after work they all sit around the local cop cantina laughing about some of the ridiculous chit gringos throw at em thinking the brotherhood saved em from that ticket!:lol:
might as well bust out the ultimate deterrent!

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-24-2013 at 12:46 PM

Hey if you have a real badge take it don't take it, use it don't use it I could care less. I'm not driving around Mexico committing crimes or being an ugly American and pulling out my badge to get out of being arrested. When I am pulled over for some imagined infraction I pull it out in a friendly manner so they will know they can't BS or intimidate me into admitting to something I did not do or forcing a bribe from me. It's more of a camaraderie thing than anything else. Hate me if you want too. I don't care!

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 12:53 PM

Quote:

Tell me though.........does this "courtesy" work both ways? I mean, if a Mexican cop was pulled over in Anaheim for hauling butt down the road, and he flashed a badge, would he get a courtesy pass?

I'm still wondering how this scenario would play out. Anyone care to comment?

monoloco - 7-24-2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm still wondering how this scenario would play out. Anyone care to comment?
I asked the same question a couple of days ago in this thread and was met with the same silence.

Lee - 7-24-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:

Whether NOB or SOB, it's always the discretion of the cop. I'm not an Anaheim cop but if I were, and I pulled over a MX cop for speeding, he'd get a warning and a PASS. (I'd still search his car -- a pound of crack does not get a PASS.)

The brotherhood I have with cops apply to those NOB and SOB. Not all cops feel this way but think most do.

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

The brotherhood I have with cops apply to those NOB and SOB. Not all cops feel this way but think most do.

Interesting.
Sooo....as you say in so many words, in your eyes, cops everywhere are immune to penalties as a result of minor violations.
Well...how do we know, Lee, that a cop, who has appointed himself summary judge and jury, won't expand the parameters of his/her personal code of justice?
What I mean is, when does the forgiveness of a misdemeanor for purposes of brotherhood, morph into forgiveness of a felony? Where are the checks and balances as well as the guarantees that this won't happen?
Or is that not our concern?

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 02:10 PM

Quote:

I can't say for sure about police but firefighters have longstanding international relationships professionally and personally.

Not much could be better than that, Frank, but you and your new friend aren't granting absolution to each other. Deciding who pays for the beer is something else.

Quote:

I do know some SDPD who have worked and trained directly with Mexican cops and they, too, form relationships.

Under the current circumstances, that should be prohibited.

chuckie - 7-24-2013 at 02:13 PM

I think this thread should die, getting way off....let people do what they do..they have to live with it....

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
You just playing devil's advocate Dennis?
Lordy, this would be so much better with a few chilly ones to share, wouldn't it?

It would indeed, Frank. I am, however trying to keep my questions pertinent to the conversation at hand. If I get out of line, lemme know. :saint:

DENNIS - 7-24-2013 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Hahaha..... no, I am the one that falls out of line, clearly, at times with my limited writing ability and, from what I've read here, my arrogance!:lol:

Guess that's how poorly I convey myself... I, for one, have nothing to be arrogant about!:lol:

One thing is for certain, Frank....you have noticeably mellowed since retirement. :yes:

BajaRat - 7-24-2013 at 03:51 PM

Quote:

SPEED KILLS !
The real prob I have with that is you endanger the rest of us.....
Your badge doesn't mean a damn thing to me, I wear one to but generally only when I'm burying fellow firefighters that people like Bubba think they own because they pay their taxes. You pay taxes just like we do Bubba because that's the society you chose to live in, it doesn't imply ownership.... You copy that cowgirl.
You get a ticket, pay it. Hate is a strong word but I despise L.E. that abuse their badges, you disrespect yourself more than you disrespect us. You harm or injure my family while you abuse your badge and you will need to have your badge removed surgically. Thats not a threat, thats a promise. :fire:

[Edited on 7-24-2013 by BajaRat]

willardguy - 7-24-2013 at 04:26 PM

:lol: lighten up francis!

BajaRat - 7-24-2013 at 04:31 PM

good one Willard :P

Bubba - 7-24-2013 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:

SPEED KILLS !
Your badge doesn't mean a damn thing to me, I wear one to but generally only when I'm burying fellow firefighters that people like Bubba think they own because they pay their taxes. You pay taxes just like we do Bubba because that's the society you chose to live in, it doesn't imply ownership.... You copy that cowgirl.
You get a ticket, pay it. Hate is a strong word but I despise L.E. that abuse their badges, you disrespect yourself more than you disrespect us. You harm or injure my family while you abuse your badge and you will need to have your badge removed surgically. Thats not a threat, thats a promise. :fire:

Yeah, I copy it cowboy now settle down. I was saying essentially what you just spewed on about. Learn to read or sober up, maybe both. Copy?

[Edited on 7-25-2013 by Bubba]

Bubba - 7-24-2013 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:

SPEED KILLS !

Yeah, I copy it cowboy. You need to go back and read my posts, I was essentially saying the same thing you just rambled on about. Sober up or learn to read, copy?

Pages:  1