BajaNomad

Asuncion Fishing Report...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

shari - 7-23-2013 at 06:47 PM

Today was our first charter of the season and it was a BIG, I mean real big success. I got "the call" fom Juan to bring more fish boxes which is usually a very good sign...but I certainly wasnt expecting to see monster yellowtail this time of year.

Leslie Palmer and her husband Geoff are visiting from Loreto for the first time. Leslie is an enthusiastic fisher and her very first fish was a big surprise...close to 50 lbs!!!! It was so big that Faustino the deckhand couldn't get the rod out of the holder! It was on the surface and very close to shore...and her second fish was over 40 pounds as well...this lady is a stupendous fisher indeed.

They caught their limit of yellowtail and calico bass easy and quickly much to the delight of lots of friends and relatives who have been longing to eat yellowtail. Of course I whipped up sashimi plates for all.

Here is one of our helper holding up the fish...nobody else could pick the damn thing up!

[Edited on 7-26-2013 by shari]

willardguy - 7-23-2013 at 07:08 PM

I saw some surprisingly grande tails in the mercado negro yesterday but NUTTIN LIKE DAT! wow!:o

msteve1014 - 7-23-2013 at 07:11 PM

That thing is a pig, and so early. Nice job all around. Sure is starting to look like a GOOD year.

woody with a view - 7-23-2013 at 07:14 PM

aug 5 with Juan.

BajaBlanca - 7-23-2013 at 07:23 PM

Holy smokes! What a beaut! Yabadabba doooooooooo!

Curt63 - 7-23-2013 at 08:15 PM

That's GREAT!

BajaLuna - 7-23-2013 at 08:53 PM

that is great news, Shari... and what an awesome catch!

boe4fun - 7-24-2013 at 09:45 AM

Good on all of ya! I CAN'T WAIT!

Phil C - 7-24-2013 at 04:05 PM

Shari, Leslie is a fisherwoman! I'm sure she has told many "tails". I'm glad to see my good friends having fun at your place. Say hi for me. Phil

shari - 7-24-2013 at 04:17 PM

Yes Phil...they are really enjoying their first visit here and fished again today...and limited out easily again and had a fantastic day on the water...they are planning to come back in October. Leslie does have many great stories for sure.

BajaBlanca - 7-25-2013 at 03:19 PM

Well they are here and told such good fish stories that our guests are headed over today to fish tomorrow LOL

whooohooooo is right ! It is wonderful that the YT are there and so big. We have some too, but they are small still.

chuckie - 7-25-2013 at 03:31 PM

Shari! Ron and I seeya Tuesday, fish wed.....;)

Udo - 7-25-2013 at 05:18 PM

Superb fish report, Shari...

Juan has great instincts.

[Edited on 7-26-2013 by Udo]

chuckie - 7-25-2013 at 05:47 PM

OK?

shari - 7-25-2013 at 06:29 PM

OK Chuckie..yer ON!

Blanca...good thing Juan didnt pull the boat out today...are the guys coming to our place to organize things?

and Udo...ummm...if that guy owned that lot, he wouldnt be haulin fish...jejejeje.

woody with a view - 7-25-2013 at 07:18 PM

we got Aug 5!!!

shari - 7-25-2013 at 07:38 PM

is Bia coming too Woody? or are ya solo?

woody with a view - 7-26-2013 at 05:45 AM

she got the time off. Vons is cutting hours so she can go even tho her vacation time doesn't roll over for 3 weeks. Save some feesh for us!

edit: yuma, sacrificio, maybe stop for some clams at the area that shant be named and then on to BCS.

[Edited on 7-26-2013 by woody with a view]

shari - 7-26-2013 at 06:43 AM

that's terrific...say hey to our amigos who shant be named....haul em along with ya.

MICK - 7-26-2013 at 07:27 AM

be there around aug 20th Can't wait
Mick

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 08:13 AM

Owning the lot?
I thought the same thing, Shari.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
OK Chuckie..yer ON!

Blanca...good thing Juan didnt pull the boat out today...are the guys coming to our place to organize things?

and Udo...ummm...if that guy owned that lot, he wouldnt be haulin fish...jejejeje.

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 08:19 AM

There is a recipe for Korean BBQ oysters in the LA times today.
Juan would love that recipe since it uses the KOREAN hot sauce he likes. I'll bring it down if it is oyster season next month.
BTW...let me know if he needs some more of the sauce. Our local KOREAN market is open again after a VONS-like remodel. Looks just like a US supermarket, except that most everything is in the KOREAN language and one has to depend on the photo on the label...if there is one.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
she got the time off. Vons is cutting hours so she can go even tho her vacation time doesn't roll over for 3 weeks. Save some feesh for us!

edit: yuma, sacrificio, maybe stop for some clams at the area that shant be named and then on to BCS.

[Edited on 7-26-2013 by woody with a view]

shari - 7-26-2013 at 10:29 AM

thanks Udo...we have lots of sauce left but I sure could use some sushi rice!

woody with a view - 7-26-2013 at 11:40 AM

when ya coming Udo? i can stow some rice if need be. let me know.

T minus 5.5 days....

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 12:15 PM

Take the rice, Woody...we won't be don in BA until the 14th of August.
On the 13 & 14 we'll be staying at Don and Sharon's (Heafey) house in Ensenada for the COFRADIA food and wine pairing. We'll be leaving very early on the 14th for BA and will arrive late on the 14th. It's about a 10 hour drive, including a stop for lunch.

Have Shari show you our beach house...she has a key.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
when ya coming Udo? i can stow some rice if need be. let me know.

T minus 5.5 days....

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 12:19 PM

Do you need some more of the multi-grain (multicolored rice)?
Remember...when using your rice cooker, use 3/4 of a cup of rice (instead of 1 cup). That is the measurement required for adding liquid to the number line on the bowl. I believe your rice cooker has a "sushi rice" setting on the menu.

Quote:
thanks Udo...we have lots of sauce left but I sure could use some sushi rice!

shari - 7-26-2013 at 12:54 PM

sure...I'm a multigrain type of girl and I'm plum out of brown rice too! J

jeezo...I never actually used those little lines on the rice cooker before...I'll check em out...thanks kind sir.

acadist - 8-3-2013 at 06:41 AM

Awesome!!!!

Udo - 8-3-2013 at 07:27 AM

I'll bring you some brown and multi-grain rice (which I buy from the Vietnamese markets) when we come down in two weeks (along with your gato food). Plus I won't forget the lamb, and fresh berries.

Quote:
sure...I'm a multigrain type of girl and I'm plum out of brown rice too! J

jeezo...I never actually used those little lines on the rice cooker before...I'll check em out...thanks kind sir.

chuckie - 8-3-2013 at 05:02 PM

What exact date are you getting there?:D:D

shari - 8-4-2013 at 06:49 AM

Woody arrived a couple days ago...thanks for the rice & ginger Udo. Yesterday was the 7th annual surf tournament here and Woody was a judge...a fine day was had by all!..pics later. Today is shrimp taco day at Don Ramon's with the gang as well as Baja Blanca then a fiestita at RedMesa's casa....strike up the band!

fishing update...the water is all churned up from the big swell...too green to produce fish and the temps went back down to normal for this time of year....60 or so...sheesh...so I think Woody will surf instead of fish...the real season will start in a week or so when the water warms up for real too.... the fishing tournament is on Aug.18th this year.

[Edited on 8-4-2013 by shari]

Udo - 8-4-2013 at 07:16 AM

We will arrive in BA on Wednesday, August 14.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What exact date are you getting there?:D:D

boe4fun - 8-4-2013 at 10:18 AM

Yippee, One week to go before I'm eatin Don Ramons tacos.....