BajaNomad

WHAT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 09:06 AM

Yesterday I made the trek to the Mexican Consulate office in Santa Ana, CA.
I was there a total of 15 minutes, and walked away with a pleasant experience smile.

I went to the Consular office because I needed to start the paperwork for the Residente Permanente Visa (the old FM3).

First thing I notice when I walked in was that there was a handicapped area that puts you to the front of the line. The area includes a "Tercera Edad" sign (literally meaning third age, but it translates to third time after you are 20 years old, i.e after 60).

I signed my name in the incoming visitor's log waiting to see a VISA representative.

After a 5 minute wait with this guy staring at me:

I was handed piece of paper (printed in English) that contained the requirements for the VISA (Called an SRE):

Apply at the Consulate in person,
Fill out application form (also in English)
Provide a pair of passport-sized photos
Provide proof of economic solvency (12 months of bank statements, investments, property owned, including Mexican property, bring the Fideicomiso with you and show it to the agent), and if retired, proof of SSI income
The woman applying has to provide copy of her marriage certificate that shows her maiden name
$36.00 USD consular fee per person.

She then gave me her name and personal phone and extension to make an appointment with her when we have all the above ready.

Totally UN-beaurocratic-like.

This Consular office is about 5 miles from where we now live.

TMW - 7-26-2013 at 09:35 AM

Good for you.

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
and if retired, proof of SSI income

Did it really specify SSI, Udo?? SSI is welfare.
I know Mexico is in need of a proof reader, but one would think these folks would be going for accuracy.

DavidE - 7-26-2013 at 10:32 AM

Dennis,

Welfare is something one never has contributed to...

How many tens of thousands of dollars have I contributed to "SSI" deduction in my life? Back in the SIXTIES I was being docked the eqvt of fifty dollars a week in SSI from my paychecks. Back then they had no upper limits on eligibility like they do now. You know, the SEVENTY PERCENT TAX BRACKET...?

willardguy - 7-26-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Dennis,

How many tens of thousands of dollars have I contributed to "SSI" deduction in my life? Back in the SIXTIES I was being docked the eqvt of fifty dollars a week in SSI from my paychecks. Back then they had no upper limits on eligibility like they do now. You know, the SEVENTY PERCENT TAX BRACKET...?
hey that put you right up there with phil mickelson! :lol:

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Dennis,

I beg to differ, David. We all paid our dues for Social Security......yes, but SSI is a program for those who never developed an SS fund and don't have a pot to pee in.
Those on SSI are not permitted to live abroad. Something about the government not wanting to give welfare to someone who is working on their tan in Acapulco.
There are other stringent requirements as well.

SSI is welfare, and the government will be the first to tell you this.

mtgoat666 - 7-26-2013 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Dennis,

I beg to differ, David. We all paid our dues for Social Security......yes, but SSI is a program for those who never developed an SS fund and don't have a pot to pee in.
Those on SSI are not permitted to live abroad. Something about the government not wanting to give welfare to someone who is working on their tan in Acapulco.
There are other stringent requirements as well.

SSI is welfare, and the government will be the first to tell you this.

dennis,
quit being pedantic - you know what udo meant!

btw, SSI is for women and children with disabilities, a form of welfare, and many SSI recipients had contributed to SS before disability, wrong to say they never contributed to SS.

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
quit being pedantic - you know what udo meant!

btw, SSI is for women and children with disabilities, a form of welfare, and many SSI recipients had contributed to SS before disability, wrong to say they never contributed to SS.

Sure. I think I know what Udo meant. I was just wondering how Mexico put it on the form.

SSI is for a lot more people than kids and mamas. It's for people with mental issues who have trouble functioning in society.....drunks and in many cases homeless qualify. First they qualify for SSI...then they go for Section-8 housing, and another dependent is born.

Why don't you hit the Google button, Goat. Who knows, there may even be something there for you too, like a free pass to the county landfill for your dining pleasure.

sancho - 7-26-2013 at 11:41 AM

Quote:

dennis,
quit being pedantic

Goat, I appreciate you raising the bar with PEDANTIC,
hope it doesn't get much higher, at least for me

Martyman - 7-26-2013 at 11:41 AM

My buddy had the SSI scam going back in the 70s. He changed the lyrics to the old Kinks tune "In The Summertime"

And I love to live so pleasantly
Living on mental disability
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

bledito - 7-26-2013 at 11:46 AM

SSI is for women men woman children with disabilities and haven't met the requirement, enough quarters paid in. if they had the quarters enough they would recieve SSD or regular SS

bledito - 7-26-2013 at 11:47 AM

SSI is for women men woman children with disabilities and haven't met the requirement, enough quarters paid in. if they had the quarters enough they would recieve SSD or regular SS

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 11:50 AM

She specifically said "PROOF" of Social Security Income, Dennis.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
and if retired, proof of SSI income

Did it really specify SSI, Udo?? SSI is welfare.
I know Mexico is in need of a proof reader, but one would think these folks would be going for accuracy.

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
My buddy had the SSI scam going back in the 70s. He changed the lyrics to the old Kinks tune "In The Summertime"

And I love to live so pleasantly
Living on mental disability
Lazing on a sunny afternoon

SSI can be hard to get without a pretty good, qualified reason, like being from Pakistan or something tragic like that.

Another reason for qualifying; if a person works forever without paying into Social Security, they will get it. That may have been the case with your buddy, otherwise, he would probably have qualified for SS Disability.

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
She specifically said "PROOF" of Social Security Income, Dennis.

Thanks, Udo. That clarifies it. Not SSI.

This is SSI:

http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/ssi.htm

Udo - 7-26-2013 at 11:58 AM

Just to clarify...

The SSI income is NOT a written request on the form they gave me. It was only meant as one of the presentations of proof of income (perhaps so, if you don't qualify for PR in other ways...I believe the rule is a minimum of $100,000 US funds, and proof of, with saving accounts, property, 401K, US pay compensation, Fideicomisos,etc.)

Quote:
Quote:
quit being pedantic - you know what Udo meant!

Sure. I think I know what Udo meant. I was just wondering how Mexico put it on the form.

SSI is for a lot more people than kids and mamas. It's for people with mental issues who have trouble functioning in society.....drunks and in many cases homeless qualify. First they qualify for SSI...then they go for Section-8 housing, and another dependent is born.

Why don't you hit the Google button, Goat. Who knows, there may even be something there for you too, like a free pass to the county landfill for your dining pleasure.

DavidE - 7-26-2013 at 12:43 PM

Thank god for ciudadano...

For friends, what is the required substantiated income monthly for a single or married couple? Property ownership is one thing, but for folks who want permanent residency without them owning property yet?

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Thank god for ciudadano...

For friends, what is the required substantiated income monthly for a single or married couple?

Would they give consideration to single couples other than individuals?

DavidE - 7-26-2013 at 01:59 PM

"We hates you forever baggins, gollum gollum"

DENNIS - 7-26-2013 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
"We hates you forever baggins, gollum gollum"

"It." Not "you."

"Thief, Thief, Thief! Baggins! We hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever!"

:lol:

DavidE - 7-26-2013 at 05:12 PM

Wanna see if you were payin 'tention. All right Dennis! Another Tolkien fan. Love having a NOOK, download. Too many "The Heartbreaks Of Crystal River's" in paperback stashes around here.

"Aghh nasty cruel elvish rope. Take it off! It Burns! It Burns!"