BajaNomad

Frozen Slip Nut On Shift Linkage

monoloco - 7-30-2013 at 04:18 PM

I went to remove the lower unit from my 15hp Honda but the slip nut to break the shift linkage is frozen. I've already tried the usual copious WD-40, and heat. Has anyone had any luck getting one of these apart without busting something after 13 years in saltwater?

wessongroup - 7-30-2013 at 04:29 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SF 14+

[Edited on 7-30-2013 by wessongroup]

Cisco - 7-30-2013 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I went to remove the lower unit from my 15hp Honda but the slip nut to break the shift linkage is frozen. I've already tried the usual copious WD-40, and heat. Has anyone had any luck getting one of these apart without busting something after 13 years in saltwater?

I think JB teaches small engines including outboards and would be the one to ask.

I put rusted stuff in white vinegar for a couple of months and it beaks loose, comes completely free after that process.

monoloco - 7-30-2013 at 04:39 PM

I don't have a couple of months, water's warming up, it's fishing season.

Cisco - 7-30-2013 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I don't have a couple of months, water's warming up, it's fishing season.

Poor planning.

Use heat.

If that doesn't work then heat and freeze then reheat and after none of that works cut in two places and replace with a jury rigged joint.

msteve1014 - 7-30-2013 at 05:15 PM

It's been 13 years since you put a water pump in?

There are other thing better than wd40 for breaking nuts loose. Check an auto parts store, who knows what you can find down here. Good luck, and don't push it.

mulegejim - 7-30-2013 at 05:18 PM

This may sound odd but try Coke if you can immerse the part in it.

monoloco - 7-30-2013 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
It's been 13 years since you put a water pump in?

There are other thing better than wd40 for breaking nuts loose. Check an auto parts store, who knows what you can find down here. Good luck, and don't push it.
I bought the motor new in 2000, it's never been apart, still pumps a good stream, but it just seems like time to put in the new one that's been sitting in my bodega for a couple of years. I do rinse it really well with fresh water every time I use it.

chuckie - 7-30-2013 at 05:24 PM

If it aint broke dont fix it....

RnR - 7-30-2013 at 05:51 PM

And the rubber in the new impeller has been getting brittle while it "sat in the bodega for a few years."

May want to put a NEW new one in .......

Bob and Susan - 7-30-2013 at 06:14 PM

the real answer is "heat"
a gas welder can get it off in a heartbeat

monoloco - 7-30-2013 at 07:08 PM

Update, Got the lower unit off and everything apart. I'll be putting it back together maņana. It was a waste of time though, the original was in perfect condition. I guess it was good to get everything freed up, at least I know how long they last now.

msteve1014 - 7-30-2013 at 07:36 PM

That is not how long they last. You got lucky. Put some neverseez on everything if you want to make it easier next time.

55steve - 7-30-2013 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the real answer is "heat"
a gas welder can get it off in a heartbeat

For once, I agree with Bob - real heat will do the trick!

chuckie - 7-31-2013 at 09:21 AM

What I said...

monoloco - 7-31-2013 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What I said...
Just didn't want to take a chance on failure launching through Pacific surf.

vacaenbaja - 7-31-2013 at 12:21 PM

As my marine mechanic teacher would say "Do yourself a favor. When you get that brand new outboard/drive, sooner or later you will
have to take it apart. Take it apart now and apply the correct
antiseize compounds to all those fasteners that you will need to remove for a waterpump service. That way when the time comes you should not have to resort to the "hot wrench" to get things apart". He was a strong beleiver in OEM parts. He would also advise "Don't cheap suit it guys. Outboards/drives are expensive and take time to R
and R. why risk a lower quality part for a few dollars
savings?"
A rubber impeller may "look perfect", but most times it
runs in an eccentric bore that compresses half the impeller
while the other half is fully extended. The result is that
if left out of service for too long eventually the compressed side will take a "set" and not
pump as efficently.Rubber parts on a boat are subject to
wear in the worst of places, take the rubber bellows of
an outdrive for instance. When these fail water can get in where its not suppose to.

monoloco - 7-31-2013 at 02:56 PM

Amazingly, the only thing that was difficult was the slip nut, put everything back together using anti-seize compound so it'll come apart in 13 years when I do it again.:lol: