BajaNomad

Loreto boat ride

tehag - 8-3-2013 at 10:38 PM

Last Friday, 7/26/2013, I hired a panga and took my daughter out to maybe see some bighorn sheep and blue-footed boobies. We left Loreto at 6:45 and were back before 2 in the afternoon. We saw some hundreds of common dolphin and about 60 pilot whales on the way out to Isla Carmen where we saw more than 20 desert bighorns. Crossing to Isla Coronado we went through a good sized pod of Pacific bottle-nosed dolphin. Nearing Coronado we were treated to lots of manta and mobula sightings and a green sea turtle. Circling Coronado we passed many sea birds, including pelicans, terns, cormorants, gulls, shearwaters, both subspecies of brown boobies, and lots of blue-footed boobies. In the anchorage on the south-east corner of Coronado there were many mobulas jumping and flipping over in the air.

After an hour and a half of snorkeling just south of Coronado, where we drifted with thousands of sea creatures of many species, and a great lunch at La Picazón on the beach, we started for Loreto. Wasn't to be; we saw distant splashes and motored out a mile or so to witness a humpback show to last a lifetime. They were breaching and spinning and tail whomping for most of an hour before they sounded and left us to resume the trip home. In hundreds of Baja boat rides I've not had better.

Pilot whales

Desert bighorns

Brown boobies (2 each regular & Brewster's)

Blue-footed boobies

Humpback whales

[Edited on 8-4-2013 by tehag]

David K - 8-4-2013 at 12:42 AM

Big world of wonder!:light:

chuckie - 8-4-2013 at 01:48 AM

Aint Baja Grand? Thanks

acadist - 8-4-2013 at 06:47 AM

Sounds like a cool day!

Lauriboats - 8-4-2013 at 07:05 AM

What an awesome day.

oladulce - 8-4-2013 at 07:19 AM

What good karma you must have. That's a lifetime of wild life encounters in one trip.

bill erhardt - 8-4-2013 at 07:45 AM

tehag.......That sounds like a great day. And, no blood in the boat. Where did you find the bighorns?

BajaBlanca - 8-4-2013 at 08:33 AM

What a memorable trip. Thanks for sharing!

rhintransit - 8-4-2013 at 08:51 AM

why I love Loreto!
great shots, thanks.

Loreto paradise

bajabeachbabe - 8-4-2013 at 11:59 AM

I love seeing other people get a chance to share our little slice of paradise. Having a place near La Picazon I know that what you experienced is practically a daily event, not a once in a lifetime event. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g150772-d389...

Loretana - 8-4-2013 at 12:15 PM

Absolutely divine photos! Thanks, Tehag

Bighorns

tehag - 8-4-2013 at 06:15 PM

Bill, bighorns are on Isla Carmen.