BajaNomad

My San Ysidro crossing took 6 hours

Ken Cooke - 8-5-2013 at 06:46 PM

After a great weekend in northern Baja, I drove my Jeep down 2nd Blvd (at 5 p.m.), and saw what looked like a traffic bottleneck 1 block west of Calle Revoluccion. After 2 hours, I made it to the Smart & Final. By then, my Chihuahuas were whimpering and needed to go outside for a walk.

Gridlock was so bad, I was able to just walk away from the Jeep to walk the dogs for their relief. I kept the headlamps dimmed for the benefit of the other drivers, tried to enjoy the music and avoid the toxic fumes being shared by others.

At 11 p.m., I made it to one of 12 gates that was open, and was able to run to the nearest gas station where the Wife and I were able to get out of the Jeep and stretch our legs.
6 Hours in Gridlock???:!: Nomads Beware!

[Edited on 8-6-2013 by Ken Cooke]

bajaguy - 8-5-2013 at 06:47 PM

Uh, you need a SENTRI

Ken Cooke - 8-5-2013 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Uh, you need a SENTRI

I keep putting it off, but things are getting worse, not better. Baja tourism is obviously rebounding, and the traffic is insane. I'm going to look into SENTRI or a way to use Ready Lane (at the very minimum).

Mula - 8-5-2013 at 07:07 PM

My husband crossed last Wednesday about 2 in the afternoon.

Took 2 1/2 hours and bad actor officer (?). He was pi$$ed.

bajario - 8-5-2013 at 07:08 PM

We got to Sentri about 12:20 yesterday afternoon and crossed at 1:10.

Had a friend get to the regular line at 1:00 and crossed around 6:15pm. He won't return until he has Sentri.

It was a zoo with escaped animals.

Retireded - 8-5-2013 at 07:17 PM

It is a little longer drive, but I use Tecate. Average wait is .5 hr. Longest I have waited is just under 1 hr. Scenic drive beats hell out of lines at that zoo at TJ. Lack of signs to help find ready lanes is just one problem in TJ. I won't go that way again.

Retireded - 8-5-2013 at 07:19 PM

The one time I waited almost an hour was balanced out next trip by NO LINE- NO WAIT. Drove directly to booth and was waved through in less than a minute.

liknbaja127 - 8-5-2013 at 07:21 PM

Wow, I though I had a long one, 4 hrs 45 min. that was 2 years ago!
have not used that crossing since. We try not to cross on sunday's.
even monday's can be a long wait.

tehag - 8-5-2013 at 07:24 PM

Tried Tecate last Monday at midday. 1hr 55min. Not worth the extra hour driving East and then back West.

MMc - 8-5-2013 at 07:25 PM

I have waited 4.5 hours at Tacate. the report for TJ said 2 hours on the same night.

Gaucho - 8-5-2013 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Uh, you need a SENTRI

I keep putting it off, but things are getting worse, not better. Baja tourism is obviously rebounding, and the traffic is insane. I'm going to look into SENTRI or a way to use Ready Lane (at the very minimum).

SENTRI: If there aren't any skeletons it's the best money you will ever spend...don't waste your time w/ the Ready Lane...

BajaNomad - 8-5-2013 at 08:32 PM

And also as a reminder - the "Best Time to Cross the Border" smartphone app has helped me greatly, with information updated on the hour.

It's been worth a wifi stop in Ensenada or Tijuana on multiple occasions.

Noted in this thread (among others):
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65937

More info:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/26/local/la-me-abcarian...

http://www.calit2.net/newsroom/release.php?id=1976

55steve - 8-5-2013 at 08:49 PM

Damn Ken, that sucks huge! I've had waits close to that my last 2 crossings and vowed to not do it again until I had SENTRI - well I went through the (semi-long) process and $120 later I'm good to go for 5 years.

[Edited on 8-6-2013 by 55steve]

Ken Cooke - 8-5-2013 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Damn Ken, that sucks huge! I've had waits close to that my last 2 crossings and vowed to not do it again until I had SENTRI - well I went through the (semi-long) process and $120 later I'm good to go for 5 years.

[Edited on 8-6-2013 by 55steve]

$120 is money well-spent. It was slow enough in La Linea that my Wife took this great photo.

SFandH - 8-5-2013 at 11:03 PM

Quote:

At 11 p.m., I made it to one of 12 gates that was open,

That's about 1/2 the number of gates, right?

Why are the others closed?

David K - 8-5-2013 at 11:47 PM

I would rather drive than idle in a line for that time, wouldn't you?... Tecate is less than an hour extra driving time instead of Tijuana or Otay. It is on a nice country road (Mex 3 or CA 94), and the wait is USUALLY much less. However, I have had the two longest waits ever at Tecate (3 hrs. and 5 hrs.) out of the many times I have crossed there. They were on a Sunday afternoon or a Monday of a 3 day weekend... so AVOID those times to come home if at all possible.

That said, I am going to Baja far less often because of the economy, but the possible wait time is becoming a bigger deterrent for us. It just seems that the government in charge now puts serving the (traveling) people at the bottom of its priorities.

I love Baja so much, but anything longer than 2 hours, after all the 'upgrades' they have been bragging about put in recently, is nutz.

chuckie - 8-6-2013 at 04:43 AM

I wonder if this has anything to do with the massive terrorist alert across the world we have been reading about?

Mexitron - 8-6-2013 at 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I would rather drive than idle in a line for that time, wouldn't you?... Tecate is less than an hour extra driving time instead of Tijuana or Otay. It is on a nice country road (Mex 3 or CA 94), and the wait is USUALLY much less. However, I have had the two longest waits ever at Tecate (3 hrs. and 5 hrs.) out of the many times I have crossed there. They were on a Sunday afternoon or a Monday of a 3 day weekend... so AVOID those times to come home if at all possible.

That said, I am going to Baja far less often because of the economy, but the possible wait time is becoming a bigger deterrent for us. It just seems that the government in charge now puts serving the (traveling) people at the bottom of its priorities.

I love Baja so much, but anything longer than 2 hours, after all the 'upgrades' they have been bragging about put in recently, is nutz.

Same here David---used to three and four day trips on a whim (5pm Friday: "Hey Steve, What're you doing this weekend?" "Nothing." "Let's go to Mex." "Okay!").
But now the whip of the bordermaster is blazened into my psyche and I have to make longer trips but much less frequently....

Frank - 8-6-2013 at 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Same here David---used to three and four day trips on a whim (5pm Friday: "Hey Steve, What're you doing this weekend?" "Nothing." "Let's go to Mex." "Okay!").
But now the whip of the bordermaster is blazened into my psyche and I have to make longer trips but much less frequently....

The border wait really puts the damper on quick weekend getaways. I guess Ill have to look into Sentri.

Pescador - 8-6-2013 at 06:47 AM

Tecate may not be the total answer either. Over on Bloodydecks, there is 5 pages of ranting about a couple of rogue cops who have taken the Mordida to another level. A friend crossed there a week ago and got pulled over for a supposed speeding violation. Found out he was supposed to have his dog in a cage, got asked what the bulge was in his front pocket and when he pulled out his billfold, a small pocket knife fell on the ground which the cops says is a felony. The cop says this all adds up to 6,000 pesos but lets go look at the laws, so they head to his car, and he makes an offer for 2,000 pesos. Before he could get back in the line the cop already had another "tourist" pulled over.

chuckie - 8-6-2013 at 07:27 AM

I am going north elk hunting in October...going to fly..cheaper than driving, and no sitting in a car at the border.....Driving back in (maybe) new Dodge diesel, then no more border crossing worries for another couple years...

Ateo - 8-6-2013 at 08:25 AM

That sucks Ken.

I have chosen to avoid San Ysidro till the construction is over. It has been great.

Otay and Tecate are your friends.

I have delayed my Sentri appointment twice because of work but hope to make it later this month.

tjsue - 8-6-2013 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
That sucks Ken.

I have chosen to avoid San Ysidro till the construction is over. It has been great.

Otay and Tecate are your friends.

I have delayed my Sentri appointment twice because of work but hope to make it later this month.

I hope you get it, I was denied!

zoesterone - 8-6-2013 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Uh, you need a SENTRI

People always say that, (get a Sentri) but for many, it is not a possibility, but a Ready card is easy to get and helps a little. I have a
Sentri and it is gold to me,but my husband only has a ready card.

sancho - 8-6-2013 at 10:42 AM

Back in the day, early '80's, if the SY line was
more that 1 hr., we would go the Long Bar
on Revo Blvd until it lightened up, the line is
a deterent to Tourism, it is the major negative
of traveling
so., at least for a weekend type of trip, if Tourists knew before hand how long the line can get, Tourism would
probably be down even more

Ken Cooke - 8-6-2013 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zoesterone
Quote:
Uh, you need a SENTRI

People always say that, (get a Sentri) but for many, it is not a possibility, but a Ready card is easy to get and helps a little. I have a

I will eventually apply. I don't see why I would get denied under the SENTRI guidelines. My only issue would be to come up with the hefty application fees for my Wife and I.

bajaguy - 8-6-2013 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zoesterone
Quote:
Uh, you need a SENTRI

I will eventually apply. I don't see why I would get denied under the SENTRI guidelines. My only issue would be to come up with the hefty application fees for my Wife and I.

Ken

The SENTRI fees are $281 (total for you, your wife and the one time vehicle fee).

Divide the $281 by 5 (the number of years the SENTRI card is good for) and you get $56 a year.

Divide the $56 by the total number of times you think you would go to Baja.........probably around $10 a trip.

I would rather pay $10 a trip then wait in line.

wessongroup - 8-6-2013 at 12:43 PM

Dittos

tjsue - 8-6-2013 at 02:30 PM

I've heard that if the interviewing officer is having a bad day, you can get turned down.

Bob and Susan - 8-6-2013 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsue
I've heard that if the interviewing officer is having a bad day, you can get turned down.

sour grapes?

there are rules and
you ARE dealing with the united states

file a complaint if you were "damaged"

tjsue - 8-6-2013 at 03:45 PM

If someone is having a bad day or doesn't like me for some reason, that's their problem, not mine, I'll just try again.:)

gallesram - 8-6-2013 at 04:17 PM

There is some subjective discretion given to the officer, but not a lot; I'm guessing if one officer kept denying applicants more than the "norm" it would raise a red flag somewhere. My interviewing officer was a jerk and I really had to bite my tongue and apologize profusely when necessary. It's really just like dealing with any other government agency (DMV, Superior Court, etc.). But I'd be very surprised if someone would be denied just because of a bad day; there would have to be something more (an argumentative comment, questioning the officer's authority or interpretation of the rules, etc.).

Bajahowodd - 8-6-2013 at 05:02 PM

Gawd. With those wait times, you could drive to Mexicali and save time on the total trip/:yes:

55steve - 8-6-2013 at 05:15 PM

My interviewing officer was a really cool (possibly) Filipino guy - he asked me if I ever smoked pot - I replied that I grew up in the 60's and of course I've smoked pot! He chuckled at this and asked me when the last time was....I replied that I couldn't really remember since it was so long ago. He was good with this. It was an easy meeting and the vehicle inspection went well also.

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by 55steve]

mtgoat666 - 8-6-2013 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
My San Ysidro crossing took 6 hours

look on the bright side, at least it did not take 7 hours ;D

i love my sentri - you should get sentri!

mtgoat666 - 8-6-2013 at 05:36 PM

Quote:

i really doubt that, unless the interviewee is a jerk. i think if you are polite and prepared, the interview will go well, even if interviewer woke up on wrong side of bed.

brewer - 8-6-2013 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Quote:
Quote:
Uh, you need a SENTRI

SENTRI: If there aren't any skeletons it's the best money you will ever spend...don't waste your time w/ the Ready Lane...

Does anyone know if you can get a SENTRI with a pop up camper on your truck?

bajaguy - 8-6-2013 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Quote:
Quote:
Uh, you need a SENTRI

Does anyone know if you can get a SENTRI with a pop up camper on your truck?

Nope, but a camper shell is OK

tjsue - 8-6-2013 at 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

i really doubt that, unless the interviewee is a jerk. i think if you are polite and prepared, the interview will go well, even if interviewer woke up on wrong side of bed.

I was dressed for an interview (business casual), polite, and had all of my paperwork neatly organized in a folder. The officer was polite, but I was denied.

But I don't give up, I'll try again, but not right now.

jeans - 8-6-2013 at 11:52 PM

Quote:

Nope, but a camper shell is OK

Not always....my Callen shell had 1 small cabinet running the width of the truck up towards the cab. No cab-over. My rig was denied because of it.

redmesa - 8-6-2013 at 11:58 PM

We just crossed tonight. 1.5 hours...now i feel lucky.

Bajafun777 - 8-7-2013 at 11:43 PM

I specifically asked about the pop-up cover for my truck and the customs inspector told me that was not a problem. I haven't put one on yet but it does have a Sentri now. The Inspector said it was no different than a car trunk you will have to open it or have it open as you come through the inspection line. Where does anyone see a rule against it??? Take Care and Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN' bajafun777

tjsue - 8-9-2013 at 11:13 PM

I crossed in the pedestrian Ready Lanes tonight at around 8:30, and it took about 15 minutes.

bajaguy - 8-10-2013 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
I specifically asked about the pop-up cover for my truck and the customs inspector told me that was not a problem. I haven't put one on yet but it does have a Sentri now. The Inspector said it was no different than a car trunk you will have to open it or have it open as you come through the inspection line. Where does anyone see a rule against it??? Take Care and Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN' bajafun777

If it is a bare camper like a shell, no problem. If it has cabinets or other affixed items, don't think it will fly. The idea of SENTRI is no or expidited inspection. If they have to look into nooks and crannies it defeats the purpose.

[Edited on 8-10-2013 by bajaguy]

tjsue - 8-15-2013 at 09:16 PM

I crossed tonight around 5:30 and it took about 20 minutes. When I got to customs, the officer asked me what I was bringing out of Mexico, and I said, "nothing, I just signed the lease on an apartment."

Apparently he didn't believe me, because he asked the same question again, and got the same answer. So he sent me to secondary. Another officer called my name, handed me my card back, and said, "you're free to go." I guess he thought my backpack was loaded with drugs.

I would have shown him my copy of the lease if he had asked......

dasubergeek - 8-19-2013 at 12:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777

If it is a bare camper like a shell, no problem. If it has cabinets or other affixed items, don't think it will fly. The idea of SENTRI is no or expidited inspection. If they have to look into nooks and crannies it defeats the purpose.

[Edited on 8-10-2013 by bajaguy]

That's what the SENTRI guy told me last time I came through with my trunk in disarray—so I put all the stuff into easily inspectable things. I carry an old wine case (with the inserts) for transporting olive oil and the one litre of alcohol I'm allowed to bring back, and a 40-peso foam cooler for anything that requires refrigeration, like seafood or cheese.

Monday morning rush hours

SFandH - 8-19-2013 at 06:54 AM

6:55 AM

San Ysidro

15 minutes!!!!

yahoo!

http://traffic.calit2.net/border/border-wait-times.php?type=...

Heard the same on the radio. All lanes open.

Am I correct that this is some kind of test and some of the lanes will be closed again to finish construction?

[Edited on 8-19-2013 by SFandH]