BajaNomad

BAHIA ASUNCION? THIS SATURDAY?

DavidE - 8-7-2013 at 01:12 PM

SO SAY THE PROGNOSTICOS. LADIES & GENTLEMEN START YOUR FANS!

shari - 8-7-2013 at 01:34 PM

is that Accuweather you are looking at, which is the most inaccurate weather site? It is nearly NEVER 100 degree here in Asuncion so prognosticos or not, I highly doubt it will be that hot.

the site that is most accurate for weather temps says it will be 79 on Saturday and all week... which is our normal air temp this time of year.
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Asuncion-Bay/forecasts/l...

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by shari]

DavidE - 8-7-2013 at 01:53 PM

World Weather Online. Dont'cha love the (?) I put after the title? Last August I counted six days over one hundred degrees F in a NWS certified weather station with an upgraded NIST thermometer.

Don't count your ice cubes before they melt...

All that has to happen is for that afternoon breeze to die down. I am praying that it doesn't. But I am noting it is dying down day by day. Little by little.

I also noted BA like almost everywhere else has its own little micro-climates. But perhaps it is more accurate to reflect what temperature may be present "downtown" rather than on a promontory or high up on the hill next to the microwave tower. Last August 10, I noted 103F next to Campo Sirena, and 94 up near the tower. Quite a difference. Want "warm"? Go to Vizcaino. Want warm and humid continue on to Sta Rosalia.

I do agree that AccuWeather and a dartboard have a lot in common.

msteve1014 - 8-7-2013 at 03:42 PM

I use that same report Shari. It looks like La Bocana will be 5 to 7 degrees warmer than you all week. The important thing to me is the wind. It will be blowing in both places. It's like having someone shovel sand through my bedroom window, and no fishing.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
is that Accuweather you are looking at, which is the most inaccurate weather site? It is nearly NEVER 100 degree here in Asuncion so prognosticos or not, I highly doubt it will be that hot.

the site that is most accurate for weather temps says it will be 79 on Saturday and all week... which is our normal air temp this time of year.
http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Asuncion-Bay/forecasts/l...

[Edited on 8-7-2013 by shari]

DavidE - 8-7-2013 at 04:38 PM

I am praying you both and that site are correct. Don't need no steenking hunnert degrees!

DianaT - 8-7-2013 at 05:28 PM

The times in BA when we saw the really high heat and humidity was when there was tropical activity in the area. Then, especially down town, it felt far more like the Cortez side!

It did hit 104 on the Alaska side when one hurricane a couple of years ago threatened a direct hit. It didn't hit, but the heat and humidity sure did! Most of the time when it is ungodly hot and humid on the other side, the Alaska side is a lot cooler and breezy --- OK, downright windy, but that wind can feel real good.

BTW --- one local contacted Accurate Weather and they admitted that what they report is taken from somewhere else.

Bajaboy - 8-7-2013 at 05:32 PM

I use the same site that Shari suggested...it is amazingly accurate especially when it calls for precipitation.

shari - 8-7-2013 at 05:57 PM

oh sure it CAN happen and does if there is a hurricane tracking our way...but the water hasnt warmed up enough yet and we still have afternoon winds 15-20 so 100 degrees this week.

Udo - 8-7-2013 at 06:35 PM

That is a really great weather site, Shari!

It is now bookmarked!

David K - 8-7-2013 at 06:47 PM

Folks, it is called SUMMER... The only weird thing is how cool it has been here in San Diego County so far this summer. The Ice Age is coming... send me your dollars and I will burn more carbon to stop the insanity of man made global cooling! :lol::lol::lol:

Bajaboy - 8-7-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Folks, it is called SUMMER... The only weird thing is how cool it has been here in San Diego County so far this summer. The Ice Age is coming... send me your dollars and I will burn more carbon to stop the insanity of man made global cooling! :lol::lol::lol:

You just had to open your mouth....and insert politics...:(

David K - 8-7-2013 at 07:40 PM

No, I inserted science (observation) and comedy based on the insanity of what Al Gore has cost the people of this country to fill his pockets. :light:

Bajaboy - 8-7-2013 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
No, I inserted science (observation) and comedy based on the insanity of what Al Gore has cost the people of this country to fill his pockets. :light:

Your opinion does not constitute science:?:

shari - 8-7-2013 at 08:45 PM

that site I linked to is very accurate for air temps, wind and rain but their swell heights are always lower than it really is...buoy weather has more accurate swell heights and wind velocity too.

DianaT - 8-7-2013 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Your opinion does not constitute science:?:

Science? Who needs science. :biggrin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/06/dinosaurs-noahs-ark...

BajaBlanca - 8-7-2013 at 09:20 PM

Please just don't let it get as hot as last year! Abominable.

DavidE - 8-8-2013 at 10:35 AM

The weather gizmo i noted many years ago in Yucatan, hurricanes pushing a bubble of hot air ahead of it seems to be reliable. But because of the upcoming flip in polarity of the sun's magnetic field (only days away) this year has been really nuts - unpredictable. The 11-year solar cycle is at its peak. Even if some of you live another fifty years, it is less than an eyeblink of time as far as climatological significance is concerned. Ice-ages and warm ups take thousands of years to develop. I just love the stupidity I suffer seeing. Instead of devoting time and money to a giant pipeline to bring excess water down from Canada, it's all being used for vocal political fertilizer. Five years of great plains drought will bring a financial calamity that will make "The Great Depression" look like someone lost a dollar bill from a shirt pocket. Yeah spend tens of millions of dollars to study the effects of barbecue lighter fluid fumes. I am glad to be well away from the Cuckoo Nest...

vgabndo - 8-8-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:

Considering that there is no science, or observed information suggesting "Global Cooling", and that Al Gore made his biggest chunk (half a billion?) selling his TV network, I would be mighty impressed if you could find some way to defend these statements.

Selling his network, whether or not you approved of the buyer, was pure American capitalism in the free market system. I find nothing unusual, if one has multiple offers for the same product, in choosing a buyer I personally like as opposed to someone I despise. I suspect that Al feels the same way I do about the product poison advertisers used to call Glenn Beck.

You should maybe watch a little Al Jazeera English. You could perhaps cheer when they lambaste the idiot Democrats just like they do the Republicans. Al Jazeera, in my judgement, is a better example of journalism than anything offered by Rupert Murdoch, or the clearly delusional Mr. Beck.

There IS real science that the earth is warming. Everyone agrees that only a part of it is man-made. Cleaning-up our act hurts the bottom line of the 1%. It seems to me it is easier for the polluters to buy propaganda than to be accountable for the by-product of their riches. Here is a perfect example from Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/02/13/peer-revi...

This lady's response saves me a lot of typing:

Anne Michelsen 5 months ago
I find your headline citing the “Majority of Scientists Skeptical” to be a wee bit misleading.

If you read the study, you’ll find that the scientists polled are all members of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists in Alberta (APEGA).

According to the study’s authors, “The petroleum industry – through oil and gas companies, related industrial services, and consulting services – is the largest employer, either directly or indirectly, of professional engineers and geoscientists in Alberta…These professionals and their organizations are regulated by a single professional self-regulatory authority –APEGA.”

Given that the vast majority of participants in the poll are directly employed not just by the petroleum industry, but by a sector of the industry involved in one of the dirtiest methods of petroleum extraction (tar sands), it doesn’t seem at all surprising that an inordinate number of them would doubt the danger of climate change, or feel that it’s unlikely to impact them personally. (Especially given the fact that Alberta is hardly at risk from rising sea levels.)

What’s telling is that a very large percentage of them (36%) are nevertheless highly concerned about climate change. One wonders how they sleep at night.

It would be interesting to see the results of a similar poll taken amongst engineers and geoscientists in, say, Bangladesh.

DavidE: I think you'll like this site: http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs46.html#evaporative

The Ozzie world of passive cooling.

shari - 8-9-2013 at 07:16 AM

science or no science, I had to put long pants and a SWEATSHIRT on yesterday afternoon at our chick pizza party out here...brrrr.

David K - 8-9-2013 at 07:20 AM

Looks great! Mom/Translator/Pizza Chef... all in one!

shari - 8-9-2013 at 08:10 AM

oh yeah, she's multi-talented all right...that girl can throw a pizza!

ooops...highjack...getting back on topic, it's 65 degrees in the shade here this morning..downright nippy!