BajaNomad

Pictures of the LATE but excellent wine and cheese tasting event

BajaBlanca - 8-11-2013 at 07:08 PM

You would think that after 7 years in Mexico, I would have been better prepared for today, but I wasn't. The event was scheduled for noon, so at 20 of, I went down to see what things looked like. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, no one was there. So I went over to Julio's house to ask what was going on. She is late (really?) - she had some trouble getting through the G Negro checkpoint as she needed special permits for the cheeses (tell me another one)...

So, I went home, grabbed some chairs, a good bottle of wine, some glasses and we went on our way to wait ...

It was a beautiful day and this is the view we had for 2 full hours as we all chatted and sat under that very palapita:

When the shade got too too small, we moved over to where the table was set up: still no wine nor cheese )):

Here is Scott and Kim who run another B&B in town as well as some friends from Bay of LA who are spending a couple months at Campo Rene:

Les and Joaquin, the owner of Cactus restaurant:

and Dave (Chelo is to his right and not shown) who run Chelo's hotel in Punta Abreojos,as well as John McFrog and his wife from Punta Abreojos:

Eventually, a guy came on a horse offering everyone rides. we were hungry and antsy and not interested, but the kids were!

The Punta Abreojos group gave up and went home, not 5 minutes later, the wines and cheeses arrived!! Boy were we happy. They sold out of everything - really good wines, really good flavored cheeses and more. All coming from ranchos around Ensenada.

2 kinds of olive oil:

black olives - dips - honey honey honey

For next time, I have requested that the event holders arrive one day early, so they are ready for set up and delivery right on time. They agreed. So, shall I hold my breath ???

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-12-2013 by BajaBlanca]

DianaT - 8-11-2013 at 07:31 PM

You will turn lots of shades of blue waiting for it to start on time. :biggrin:

A really nice event --- looks good.

BajaRat - 8-11-2013 at 08:00 PM

So good to see long lost faces............
Still looked fun for all us NOB folks missn out
see you folks soon :cool:

BajaBlanca - 8-11-2013 at 08:28 PM

and this pic just got sent to me - proves WE were there :

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2013 at 08:32 PM

You say the cheese came from ensenada,... Is there a particular store in Ensenada with a wide selection of Baja cheeses?

Curt63 - 8-11-2013 at 08:43 PM

Looks like a good time...on Baja time

Say hi to pinchy Joaquin for me

Mulegena - 8-11-2013 at 10:43 PM

You guys are so cool. Glad you had a great time. Fun pictures!

BajaBlanca - 8-12-2013 at 09:16 AM

mtgoat333 none of the wines had labels nor did the cheeses. Three very distinct wines. One was dry and my favorite. One was sweet and the other a mix.

The lady does sell in Ensenada, so I will try and get more info.

BAJACAT - 8-12-2013 at 10:11 PM

Blanca is that a Doņa Lupe wine bottle , what les is holding in is hand, looks like their honey wine bottle..

willardguy - 8-13-2013 at 11:05 AM

so whats the deal with the restaurant, is it open for business? our last trip out, it and the log cabins were unfinished.

DavidE - 8-13-2013 at 11:09 AM

Great images Blanca. You sabotaged my will to diet :).

Leo - 8-13-2013 at 12:05 PM

Good to see a picture of you two. Looks like it worked out fine in the end. Always fun, wine or beer for that matter, tasting with good company. Cheers!

BajaBlanca - 8-16-2013 at 08:56 PM

Willardguy, of course the cabins are not finished. And of course the restaurant is not either.

Bajacat - That is a delicious wonderful smooth wine that we were given. The people who made it did it for fun and dont have a license to sell wine, so they give it to their friends. Aren't we lucky?!