BajaNomad

Pacifico rated #1 beer in world?

durrelllrobert - 8-22-2013 at 08:26 AM

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/big-data-download/top-10-beer...

vandenberg - 8-22-2013 at 08:49 AM

My 2 favorite beers here made the top ten.
Negra Modelo and Pacifico, in that order. :yes::yes:

SFandH - 8-22-2013 at 08:56 AM

I've had too many "skunky" Pacificos. I think that sometimes the beer sits around in high temperatures too long on its way from the brewery to my Baja watering holes.

bajaguy - 8-22-2013 at 08:59 AM

It would be interesting to know where they obtained the beer for testing. I find that beer purchased in Mexico vs beer purchased in the US tastes distinctly better.

It is also interesting that Corona which seems to be the US idea of Mexican beer didn't make the top 10.

[Edited on 8-22-2013 by bajaguy]

vandy - 8-22-2013 at 09:05 AM

Hmmm...people who know, enjoy and truly LIKE beer seem to agree with me
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/75/2755

MitchMan - 8-22-2013 at 09:45 AM

My wife and I are not a beer drinkers for the most part, but, since going to Baja for the last 6 years, we would only try an occasional Negra Modelo at Bismarcks on the malecon in La Paz. It's the only beer she will drink on rare occasion.

Then, we tried Pacifico and we haven't turned back since.

One thing that we always do is keep Pacificos (bottles only) in the refrigerator, and then, when we want a beer late in the day, we put two bottles in the freezer for 12 minutes exactly, pop the tops off and drink em down fast.

Just the right blast to the brain. Very refreshing.

In La Paz, you can buy 12 oz bottles of Pacifico at certain Modeloramas for 9 pesos with turn-in of an empty bottle. That's about $.72 USD per bottle at an exchange rate of 12.5. Since Pacificos cost about $1.20 USD in the USA, I only buy Miller Draft in bottles by the case when it's on sale for $13.00 USD for a case of 20 bottles. The point here is that, in my opinion, beer is too expensive. I think it would be a perfect world if decent 12 oz bottles of beer were only $.50 each. You can make good Margaritas for $.50 each.

[Edited on 8-22-2013 by MitchMan]

DENNIS - 8-22-2013 at 09:59 AM

Anybody around Mazatlan know if the Pacifico brewery still has the beer garden? It was like a square mile of Mariachi and half Peso[ 4 cents, at the time] mugs of beer.
I've asked this same question a bunch of times in the past and never got an answer.

wessongroup - 8-22-2013 at 10:21 AM

Lets start a taste test "NOW" ... :):)

vandy - 8-22-2013 at 10:28 AM

I give up!
It's like asking a wino what the best wine is...:barf:

That said,
Ice cold and dewy
On a warm sunny day
Ocean in front
Desert behind
Day's work and play done
Everything goes down smooth
Bring extra toilet paper

Ice Cold

bajaguy - 8-22-2013 at 10:39 AM

Fill a bucket with (full) Pacifico bottles, layer crushed ice and rock salt top off with crushed ice.....give it 10 minutes

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
My wife and I are not a beer drinkers for the most part, but, since going to Baja for the last 6 years, we would only try an occasional Negra Modelo at Bismarcks on the malecon in La Paz. It's the only beer she will drink on rare occasion.

One thing that we always do is keep Pacificos (bottles only) in the refrigerator, and then, when we want a beer late in the day, we put two bottles in the freezer for 12 minutes exactly, pop the tops off and drink em down fast.

In La Paz, you can buy 12 oz bottles of Pacifico at certain Modeloramas for 9 pesos with turn-in of an empty bottle. That's about $.72 USD per bottle at an exchange rate of 12.5. Since Pacificos cost about $1.20 USD in the USA, I only buy Miller Draft in bottles by the case when it's on sale for $13.00 USD for a case of 20 bottles. The point here is that, in my opinion, beer is too expensive. I think it would be a perfect world if decent 12 oz bottles of beer were only $.50 each. You can make good Margaritas for $.50 each.

DENNIS - 8-22-2013 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandy

Bring extra toilet paper

Hey...eees Messico. Never leave home without it.

Tbone - 8-22-2013 at 10:50 AM

Pacifico or Carte Blanche .....that's a tough one.

sancho - 8-22-2013 at 10:58 AM

In this list is, not that I've tried one, is something
called Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus, sounds like a gimmick
to me, sorta taints the list

DENNIS - 8-22-2013 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbone
Pacifico or Carte Blanche .....that's a tough one.

Carta Blanca?? Not bad.
Years back, they would advertise their gold medals won at prestigious beer contests throughout the world, always failing to mention the one which was entered was from their bottling plant which used mountain spring water, when there was such a thing. The other seven plants didn't have that quality available to them.

Still....they have the twist-off opener in the base of the bottle. That's worth extra points.

bajajudy - 8-22-2013 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Well, on the mainland your choices are pretty limited outside major cities.... although all the OXXO's have Heineken for some reason:

Tecate is distributing Heineken in Mexico. So any place that has Tecate, may have Heinies.

SFandH - 8-22-2013 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Quote:
Well, on the mainland your choices are pretty limited outside major cities.... although all the OXXO's have Heineken for some reason:

Tecate is distributing Heineken in Mexico. So any place that has Tecate, may have Heinies.

Heineken bought Dos Equis, Tecate, and Sol. XX is a good brew too.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/11/news/international/Heineken_...

I never buy beer in clear bottles. It just doesn't seem right.

wessongroup - 8-22-2013 at 03:09 PM

"I never buy beer in clear bottles. It just doesn't seem right."

Never thought of it that way .... ya definitely got a point there ... :):)

Mugs and schooners were ok though ... :lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-22-2013 by wessongroup]

weebray - 8-22-2013 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
I've had too many "skunky" Pacificos. I think that sometimes the beer sits around in high temperatures too long on its way from the brewery to my Baja watering holes.

Whoa, have to call bs here. In 20+ yrs. my friends and I have consumed thousands of gallons of Pacifico and NEVER a skunky one. You must be confused with heineken.

Marinero - 8-22-2013 at 03:54 PM

Smokey's in Los Barriles has cold Negra Modelo on tap. Great taste.

Bajahowodd - 8-22-2013 at 04:05 PM

It's all bull. There are only a few international companies that brew most of the beer worldwide. Heineken owns a host of Mexican brands including Tecate, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Sol, Indio, Etc.

Anheuser Busch-InBev owns all the Grupo Modelo brands. And the sad thing is that they brew wherever they find capacity. So, while Pacifico was once only brewed in Mazatlan, no more. Similarly, those of us that buy Tecate in the states are buying beer brewed in Monterrey, not Tecate.

And geez, Ballantine XXX Ale in the top group??? Ballantine went away a long time ago. Some folks who bought the Pabst name brew that crap.

CortezBlue - 8-22-2013 at 04:05 PM

I just think that this makes sense.

Pacifico and Mich Ultra?? and Mich Ultra with Lime???

I think this must have been a pay to play list

DENNIS - 8-22-2013 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I just think that this makes sense.

Pacifico and Mich Ultra?? and Mich Ultra with Lime???

I think this must have been a pay to play list

I totally agree. Pacifico may be good, of course, but it ain't world class.
And that other Limey garbage had to buy entry into the evaluation.

willardguy - 8-22-2013 at 04:33 PM

not a surprise words like crap and bull gettin thrown around. how many of you have actually had the new generation ballantine XXX ale? and lets not forget that awful original tecate :barf: but its really about personal taste right? I say, SCLEMEEL, SCHLEMAZEL, HASENFEFFER INCORPORATED !;)

David K - 8-22-2013 at 05:33 PM

However, there are many times when I prefer Dos Equis!

Oh, but what I will go through to have a Pacifico poolside!

Bob & Susan's Lighthouse Resort, Playa Frambes south of Mulege.
:light:

DavidE - 8-22-2013 at 05:36 PM

Uh, where are the comments about draft beer? Most of the majors keg it and it represents to me the best of the best. Like Tecate, Ceverza Cuauhtemóc and other ocotpi, they aren't interested in developing a KORBEL winery like experience. They want to hammer out railroad tankers of syntho-beer.

Mexico is having a golden eruption of micro breweries. In DF, Tijuana, Monterrey, Puebla, Zapopan, on and on. Lagers, ales, pilsners, you name it. But their product is like comparing Starbucks to Noescafe.

Russ - 8-22-2013 at 05:38 PM

The stuff I've seen in bottles down here turned me off. Sad to say but drink outta cans now given a choice.

David K - 8-22-2013 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
The stuff I've seen in bottles down here turned me off. Sad to say but drink outta cans now given a choice.

How do you see what is in a can before you drink out of it?

Pacifico comes in cans, too... Once they were blue and looked like a Pepsi can... Last time they were yellow... But, don't see them too often in cans.

David K - 8-22-2013 at 05:55 PM

Baby Boojums prefer Dos Equis, in a can!

willardguy - 8-22-2013 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
bingo. regardless of the color of the glass, sunlight is what changes the flavor of any beer. microbreweries are keen on this and prefer aluminum packaging. BUT, no self respecting wannabe ol baja rat is gonna pull up in his samurai,wearing tank top, huaraches, bandana, holding a CAN of beer! :lol:

David K - 8-22-2013 at 06:04 PM

Pacifico tastes best out of a glass, even a plastic glass! :light:

David K - 8-22-2013 at 06:14 PM

Some beer is even in a museum!

El Rosario Community Museum, 2005.

Hook - 8-22-2013 at 06:43 PM

Anybody seen the new Bohemia Cerveza de Trigo? Supposedly, it is a seasonal beer for summer. Tastes surprisingly like Blue Moon, down to the coriander after taste. Hard to find, even over here.

Still, my fav Mexican beers are the Chope oscura and the Chope clara. Modelo products. Only been out for 3-4 years. On tap, ONLY!!!! The oscura is less malty that Negra Modelo, which gets rather hard to drink more than a couple at a time. A bit too sweet and very filling. Not a beer to be drinking on a hot, summer day while fishing.

I've had numerous skunk Pacificos over the years, but I do still like the beer when it's fresh. Bottles only; the skunk factor increases dramatically in cans.

But Pacifico in the top ten beers of the world? What a joke!!!

BajaParrothead - 8-22-2013 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
My 2 favorite beers here made the top ten.
Negra Modelo and Pacifico, in that order. :yes::yes:

Vandenberg,
I'm with ya, but in the opposite order. Corona Familiar is another Mexican favorite for me. Much better than the regular Corona!!

Compaared to botteled water (in California0

durrelllrobert - 8-22-2013 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

I'll take a beer every time!

Aquafina Purified Drinking Water 20 oz. $0.95

Aquafina Purified Drinking Water 1 liter $0.99 (Vons Club Member $0.79)
Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water 24 oz. $0.60 (Vons Club Member $0.39)
Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water 1 liter. $0.69
Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water 25.3 oz. $0.39 (Buy 4 for $1.00)
Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water 1 liter. $0.59
Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water 3 liters. $1.84 (6 Pack)
Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water 6 liters. $5.99 (12 Pack)
Dannon Natural Spring Water 1 liter $0.59
Dannon Natural Spring Water 3 liters. $1.19 (6 Pack)
Dasani Purified Water 20 oz. $0.89
Dasani Purified Water 1 liter. $1.19
Deja Blue Purified Drinking Water 1 liter. $0.69
Evian Natural Spring Water 1/2 liter. $0.99
Evian Natural Spring Water 1 liter. $0.99
Palomar Mountain Spring Water 3 liters. $1.83 (6 Pack)
Safeway Select Natural Spring Water (Refreshe) 1 liter. $0.59

acadist - 8-22-2013 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
It would be interesting to know where they obtained the beer for testing. I find that beer purchased in Mexico vs beer purchased in the US tastes distinctly better.

It is also interesting that Corona which seems to be the US idea of Mexican beer didn't make the top 10.

[Edited on 8-22-2013 by bajaguy]

Fresh beer is always better, try the New Belgium brewery tour....nothing better than a fresh Fat tire:cool:

Bob H - 8-22-2013 at 07:23 PM

Pacifico is good, but obviously these beer testers have not been to Germany yet.

liknbaja127 - 8-22-2013 at 07:33 PM

I will take the Pacifico, always when in baja! But at home they do not taste the same! So we go Miller lite, at home. just my 2 cent's

willardguy - 8-22-2013 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Anybody seen the new Bohemia Cerveza de Trigo? Supposedly, it is a seasonal beer for summer. Tastes surprisingly like Blue Moon, down to the coriander after taste. Hard to find, even over here.

Still, my fav Mexican beers are the Chope oscura and the Chope clara. Modelo products. Only been out for 3-4 years. On tap, ONLY!!!! The oscura is less malty that Negra Modelo, which gets rather hard to drink more than a couple at a time. A bit too sweet and very filling. Not a beer to be drinking on a hot, summer day while fishing.

I've had numerous skunk Pacificos over the years, but I do still like the beer when it's fresh. Bottles only; the skunk factor increases dramatically in cans.

But Pacifico in the top ten beers of the world? What a joke!!!
cool! I'll have to look around the neighborhood to see if anyone has it. these brazilian beer dispensers are amazing, but with the unpasteurized draft beer having only a 30 day shelf life, what do suppose they do with the out of date beer?? yup!:lol:

woody with a view - 8-22-2013 at 07:54 PM

pacifico is best enjoyed in a frosty mug, after a day of TKT drinking, whilst saving the Ballast Point Yellowtail Pale Ale for the night cap!!!

SFandH - 8-22-2013 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

Whoa, have to call bs here. In 20+ yrs. my friends and I have consumed thousands of gallons of Pacifico and NEVER a skunky one. You must be confused with heineken.

Come to think about it, you're right about Heineken, sometimes it's skunky too. I have had skunky Pacifico ballenas. I guess I'm criticizing the delivery system from the brewery to my patio table, more than the beer. I think that beer is better fresh and that sitting around on pallets or in trucks at ambient temperature turns it skunky. I usually buy TKT light in Baja. The brewery is close by. Nothing special and a bit watery but usually fresh tasting and drinking a lot of water is good for your health. ((((((hic)))))8^)

[Edited on 8-23-2013 by SFandH]

willardguy - 8-22-2013 at 08:47 PM

for those of you that are looking for LESS watery, here ya go!:cool:

less watery, part deux

tripledigitken - 8-22-2013 at 09:31 PM

This is one choice for a six pack in the cooler when heading south, San Diego's own!

Marinero - 8-23-2013 at 07:18 AM

Years ago when I went fishing with my dad, the boat beer was Corona if you didn't specify something better. It came in a short fat bottle, sometimes with a wide mouth. I liked it. I bet the Corona guys wondered what the hell was happening when the marketing sent the demand for their product sky high because of exportation.

CortezBlue - 8-23-2013 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
for those of you that are looking for LESS watery, here ya go!:cool:

Review of Tecate Titanium

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tecate-titanium/223810/

wessongroup - 8-23-2013 at 08:24 AM

Love "beer" threads ... something most can agree on ... and Mitchman ... used the same technique :lol::lol:

durrelllrobert - 8-23-2013 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Love "beer" threads ... something most can agree on ... and Mitchman ... used the same technique :lol::lol:

chuckie - 8-23-2013 at 09:58 AM

Years ago, I was in the main bar of the Brown Place in Denver....A very distinguished man called the bartender over " I want a beer brewed with Rocky Mountain spring water, the finest barley and hops, delivered cold from the brewery, made by a master brewman". A sheepherder (smelly) said "Gimme the cheapest beer ya got" Bartender " Two Coors comin up"...
(this story is not true)

DENNIS - 8-23-2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
A sheepherder (smelly)

Definition of "Virgin Wool"

Wool from the sheep that can run faster than the sheepherder. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeeezo....I crack myself up. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DavidE - 8-23-2013 at 10:07 AM

A CUT N PASTE

generally consider a beer emergency to be running out of beer at an inopportune time, however, researchers at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine are looking at it a little differently.

Specifically, they conducted a study in Charm City titled “Alcohol Brand Use and Injury in the Emergency Department: A Pilot Study, ” or colloquially, “The Top Five Beers That Will Land You In The E.R.*”

*Okay, not really, but they did determine during the course of their research the patients who had been drinking Budweiser, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice and Bud Light were the most likely to have sustained an injury that led them to seek emergency medical treatment.

The New York Times reports:

“Four malt liquors accounted for nearly half of the beer consumption by emergency room patients, even though they account for less than 3 percent of beer consumption in the general population.”

The takeaway: the next time one of your friends says “let’s go get some 40s, then run around with scissors,” think again.

Disclaimer: Baltimore may not necessarily be representative of the entire United States. In many, many ways.

Spot the sheepherder

durrelllrobert - 8-23-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
A sheepherder (smelly)

Definition of "Virgin Wool"

Wool from the sheep that can run faster than the sheepherder. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jeeezo....I crack myself up. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajaguy - 8-23-2013 at 10:56 AM

Most emergency room visits by US males between 18 and 30 years of age begin with the words...."hey, watch this"

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
A CUT N PASTE

generally consider a beer emergency to be running out of beer at an inopportune time, however, researchers at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine are looking at it a little differently.

Specifically, they conducted a study in Charm City titled “Alcohol Brand Use and Injury in the Emergency Department: A Pilot Study, ” or colloquially, “The Top Five Beers That Will Land You In The E.R.*”

*Okay, not really, but they did determine during the course of their research the patients who had been drinking Budweiser, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice and Bud Light were the most likely to have sustained an injury that led them to seek emergency medical treatment.

The New York Times reports:

“Four malt liquors accounted for nearly half of the beer consumption by emergency room patients, even though they account for less than 3 percent of beer consumption in the general population.”

The takeaway: the next time one of your friends says “let’s go get some 40s, then run around with scissors,” think again.

Disclaimer: Baltimore may not necessarily be representative of the entire United States. In many, many ways.

SFandH - 8-23-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

Review of Tecate Titanium

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tecate-titanium/223810/

"The national launch is planned for September 2013."

No wonder I haven't seen it. Glad there is a "Tecate Six" store on the highway in Mulege. It's going to be an even better winter this year.

MitchMan - 8-23-2013 at 11:12 AM

In my very inexpert opinion, the consistently "skunkiest" beers I've ever tasted are Fosters, Mickey's Wide Mouth Ale, and not so cold Heineken.

chuckie - 8-23-2013 at 11:27 AM

You never tasted some the crap I have made.....

DavidE - 8-23-2013 at 12:03 PM

Skunky Beers?

SKUNKY BEERS?

No beer in the entire universe can even hope to touch SAN MIGUEL from the Philippines for

S
K
U
N
K

bajaguy - 8-23-2013 at 12:08 PM

You apparently have never tried 33 beer from Viet Nam

Quote:
Skunky Beers?

SKUNKY BEERS?

No beer in the entire universe can even hope to touch SAN MIGUEL from the Philippines for

S
K
U
N
K

willardguy - 8-23-2013 at 12:17 PM

Hmmmmm... different strokes I guess, I love San Miguel, but bajaguy's right, beer33 was the most godawful chit I ever tasted!:no:

DENNIS - 8-23-2013 at 12:19 PM

Cobra. The delight of rioters and looters alike. "thas watt I talkin bout." [gawd...I hates it when people say dat]

woody with a view - 8-23-2013 at 12:57 PM

nutin wrong with a lil riot 'tween friends...

MMc - 8-23-2013 at 02:06 PM

Bintang, Indonesian beer first time I had one realized it was going to be a long 2 weeks. I bought a $5.00 Miller at the hard rock and thought it was a good buy. I will not drink Miller in the USA

OB, Korean Beer is the single worst skunk beer I have ever had.

chuckie - 8-23-2013 at 02:21 PM

How about that stuff in Nam,that they used to add formeldahyde to? maybe thats why I have lived so long? I'm embalmed?

Bob H - 8-23-2013 at 08:00 PM

Totally off the wall... Roll Tide !! Does anyone know what that means?

DENNIS - 8-23-2013 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Totally off the wall... Roll Tide !! Does anyone know what that means?

It don't mean nuthin. ;)

Sunman - 8-24-2013 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Bintang, Indonesian beer first time I had one realized it was going to be a long 2 weeks. I bought a $5.00 Miller at the hard rock and thought it was a good buy. I will not drink Miller in the USA

OB, Korean Beer is the single worst skunk beer I have ever had.

LOL! That is a tough one to adapt to.

David K - 8-24-2013 at 08:05 AM

When I return from a trip through the Neutral Zone, I pick up a sixer of these...

:lol:

wessongroup - 8-24-2013 at 10:06 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

You Must Be joking...

DavidE - 8-24-2013 at 11:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Skunky Beers?

SKUNKY BEERS?

S
K
U
N
K

Even the VC wouldn't touch 33. We had shiploads of Hamm's. No Olympia. Somewhere over there rests my churchkey - a defused and emptied frag with a Pabst Blue Ribbon extra leverage can opener grafted onto it. Somebody loved it more than I did. LC said I could not bring it home. Still cannot stand FRESCA. Makes me gag. Cold beer? You have to be kidding me. We kept suds and soda pop in a cargo net in the Bassac. Seventy nine degrees was better than a hundred something. In Po City all they had was San Miguel. Stuff'd clean you out faster n better than a roto rooter. Five SM's then a glass of baking soda and water to kill it.

willardguy - 8-24-2013 at 12:39 PM

sounds like they could use some san miguel out in BA :rolleyes::lol:

DavidE - 8-24-2013 at 12:57 PM

Only if you visit:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::lol::lol::bounce:

durrelllrobert - 8-24-2013 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Skunky Beers?

SKUNKY BEERS?

S
K
U
N
K

Even the VC wouldn't touch 33. We had shiploads of Hamm's. No Olympia. Somewhere over there rests my churchkey - a defused and emptied frag with a Pabst Blue Ribbon extra leverage can opener grafted onto it. Somebody loved it more than I did. LC said I could not bring it home. Still cannot stand FRESCA. Makes me gag. Cold beer? You have to be kidding me. We kept suds and soda pop in a cargo net in the Bassac. Seventy nine degrees was better than a hundred something. In Po City all they had was San Miguel. Stuff'd clean you out faster n better than a roto rooter. Five SM's then a glass of baking soda and water to kill it.

Remember Brew 102?

Udo - 8-24-2013 at 05:27 PM

That was one of the best beers around...made downtown Los Angeles.

durrelllrobert - 8-24-2013 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
That was one of the best beers around...made downtown Los Angeles.

As I remember it was skunky. Or maybe that was Reingold?

bajacalifornian - 8-24-2013 at 07:36 PM

Olde Frothingslosh Pale Stale Ale, the one with the foam on the bottom?

Neither from Baja nor are yours . . .

Drank it every winter on the East coast for some years. Know it?

bajaguy - 8-24-2013 at 07:49 PM

http://www.pittsburghbrewing.com/brands/#olde-frothingslosh

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
Olde Frothingslosh Pale Stale Ale, the one with the foam on the bottom?

Neither from Baja nor are yours . . .

Drank it every winter on the East coast for some years. Know it?

wessongroup - 8-24-2013 at 08:48 PM

State with the highest gallonage drank per adult, North Dakota, 45.8 gallons ...

I think that was a year .... but, that would seems very low .. right :lol::lol:

3 gallons/case of 16 oz cans ... not looking CLOSE ....... IMHO

Maybe a month ... HUH those winters ya know :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lots of "snow snakes"

Bajahowodd - 8-26-2013 at 05:01 PM

I have made it a life's mission to drink local brews wherever I have traveled. That even includes Muslim nations that have secular rule. A shame that in Turkey, the Islamist fanatic Erdogan who is their prime minister, when he was Mayor of Istabul, he tried to outlaw all alcoholic beverages. Didn't work. So, even today, one can guzzle down an Ephes.

On a separate note, inasmuch as Blue Moon was mentioned a bit back, be advised that this so-called micro stuff is owned by Coors and brewed in Golden Colorado.

wessongroup - 8-26-2013 at 05:03 PM

Speaking of "Beer"

How Beer Saved the World (HD)

vandenberg - 8-26-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Bintang, Indonesian beer first time I had one realized it was going to be a long 2 weeks.

Gets you to the puntang though.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SFandH - 8-26-2013 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
State with the highest gallonage drank per adult, North Dakota, 45.8 gallons ...

I had a doctor ask me how much beer I drank. I sheepishly told him and suggested that perhaps I cut back. He said, no worries mate, in Australia you would be considered a moderate drinker. :lol:

He then gave the US medical admonition.

Hook - 8-26-2013 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

On a separate note, inasmuch as Blue Moon was mentioned a bit back, be advised that this so-called micro stuff is owned by Coors and brewed in Golden Colorado.

Anybody who thought that Blue Moon is a microbrew, is rather ignorant of the beer scene. Of course its a Coors product. But I judge beer by its taste, not its parent company. It's a decent, rather light, wheat beer. Sometimes you have to settle for what's readily available and Blue Moon is readily available.

Making my way through a few Colorado IPAs this week; Ouray Brewing, Arvada Brewing, Ska Brewing out of Durango.

For those that don't know about history, here is a condensed version:

durrelllrobert - 8-26-2013 at 08:08 PM

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coastand live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundations of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1. Liberals
2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early humans were sittingaround waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery.That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the Conservative movement....

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQs and doing the sewing, fetching, and hair dressing.This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. They became known as girlie-men. Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the burro for obvious reasons.

Modern liberals like Corona beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish

but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food is standard liberal fare.. Another interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men.Most social workers,personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink Pacifico or Dos Equis beer, and ocasionally Bud or Miller. They eat red meatand still provide for their women. Conservatives are big game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks,construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, engineers, corporate executives, athletes, members of the military, airline pilots and generally anyone who works productively.

Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little. They prefer to govern the producers....and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America . They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get something for nothing.

elgatoloco - 8-26-2013 at 08:23 PM

I would never buy Pacifico. I will drink it if its offered. I was in Fort Collins recently for work. Spent some quality time at New Belgium Brewery over a couple of evenings. Lots of conservatives with tats and piercings working there. :lol:

Beer was great anyways. :saint:

Bajaboy - 8-26-2013 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
I would never buy Pacifico. I will drink it if its offered. I was in Fort Collins recently for work. Spent some quality time at New Belgium Brewery over a couple of evenings. Lots of conservatives with tats and piercings working there. :lol:

I didn't think liberals worked let alone own successful businesses:lol: But I do know you enjoy quality beer:cool:

chuckie - 8-27-2013 at 05:14 AM

I think the fascination with microbrews is a bit of snobbery...Its "in" to tout one microbrew over another...Large points are earned when the bragger has tried one that the bragee has not...I have tried a good number of them, mostly in Colorado...some are good, some pretty bad.BUT I wonder if anyone ever complains about something dark, bitter and yeasty after paying 5 bucks or more for it? Pacifico is ok, and available, At home here I prefer Barrilito....I'd like to continue yalls education, BUT Ol sol is peeking up, and I gotta go fishin...:saint:

DENNIS - 8-27-2013 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
I think the fascination with microbrews is a bit of snobbery...Its "in" to tout one microbrew over another...Large points are earned when the bragger has tried one that the bragee has not...I have tried a good number of them, mostly in Colorado...some are good, some pretty bad.BUT I wonder if anyone ever complains about something dark, bitter and yeasty after paying 5 bucks or more for it? Pacifico is ok, and available, At home here I prefer Barrilito....I'd like to continue yalls education, BUT Ol sol is peeking up, and I gotta go fishin...:saint:

You got it Chuckie. Much doo-doo about nuthin. All you do is borrow beer for about thirty minutes anyway. :light:

Consume LESS

MrBillM - 8-27-2013 at 08:24 AM

And ALWAYS buy the BEST.

When available.

Steinlager.

Or, Heineken when Steinlager isn't around.

Haven't bought anything else in (at least) Five years.

durrelllrobert - 8-27-2013 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Did you happen to stop at the truck stop on I 26 just out of town, and if so is Debby Does Donuts still there? Truly a Liberal donut/ porn shop that used to deliver you donut hanging off the waitresses rack.

David K - 8-27-2013 at 08:55 AM

It's all a matter of taste... and that changes from person to person. Maybe some buy a beer for popularity purposes, but that would be dumb IMO.

My choice is refreshment, smoothness, no after taste, great in the desert stuff. For others they like that bitter bite, IPA whatever taste. I used to like dark beers when I was younger...

DARK BREWS Now, Dos Equis Amber, Tijuana Brewery's Morena, or Noche Buena are about the only dark ones I will enjoy with dinner.

MEDIUM BREWS Pacifico is the strongest of the 'light' beers, having the most beer taste and almost is too 'dark' to be a light beer IMO. Victoria Beer would be my next choice for a mid range beer, after Pacifico. Tecate about third place as I find it has a bit more extra taste then the next group.

LIGHTER BREWS Not light as in watery beer, but very refreshing and easy drinking: Dos Equis Special Lager, Mexicali Beer, Tijuana Brewery's Güera, Carta Blanca, Sol...

LITE BEER Tecate Light is my choice for a Lite (low cal) beer. I tried Pacifico Light and it was far too watery in taste for me.

pauldavidmena - 8-27-2013 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'd LOVE to have an IPA option here........

Baja Brewing features a "Peyote Pale Ale" that is a fairly full-bodied IPA. It's brewed in Cabo and available at The Distillery in Todos Santos, but I'm not sure how widely it's distributed beyond that.

An ice cold Pacifico can be very refreshing, but whenever I return from a trip to Mexico I find myself in need of Hops therapy.

J.P. - 8-27-2013 at 09:44 AM

Saint Louis Mo. has long been known as a Beer Brewing center. There's numerous small brewers that I never heard of before.
I lived in central Missouri and owned a 18 wheel truck I would often get a load of Beer bottler to haul to different breweries this medium size brew ire I delivered to not only bottled their own Beer They made beer for other's that weren't big enough to bottle their own label.

DENNIS - 8-27-2013 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

DARK BREWS Now, Dos Equis Amber, Tijuana Brewery's Morena, or Noche Buena are about the only dark ones I will enjoy with dinner.

Negra Modelo is dark...and superb, in my opinion.
Lately, I've been using it in the Beer Batter for fish tacos. :light:

DENNIS - 8-27-2013 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pauldavidmena
I find myself in need of Hops therapy.

I know what you mean. Last week, I had someone pick up a box of Sierra Nevada in the states for that same reason.
HoppyHoppyHoppy stuff.

just hotrod your light beer?

willardguy - 8-27-2013 at 10:28 AM

here's a fun read about adding flavor to an existing beer.

http://gizmodo.com/5911514/can-you-turn-cheap-chitty-beer-in...

David K - 8-27-2013 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Negra Modelo is dark...and superb, in my opinion.
Lately, I've been using it in the Beer Batter for fish tacos. :light:

Yes indeed... and it was the official sponsor beer of the 1979 Baja 1000 (the one I was in)... we drank so much Negra Modelo the night before the race... I give it some credit for causing us to DNF the next day! :lol:

Later I expelled much of it near those giant heads in Ensenada after we got towed back to town!

I never drank Negra Modelo again! Not the beer's fault... we just had too much that night at the Bahia!