BajaNomad

Punta Chivato fish report??

steve5555 - 8-22-2013 at 08:37 PM

Hey Guys, I am going to do some beach camping at Punta Chivato in early Sept.

1. How has the fishing been for Dorado?

2. Is there a good place to make bait near the camping beach?

3. What is the water temp running this year?

Any help is appreciated.

steve

chuckie - 8-23-2013 at 08:05 AM

A few miles south, the fishing is the worst I have ever seen it. We fished off of PC (Santa Inez) a couple of days ago and caught a very few, very small dorado. Yesterday a friend went out and trolled that area for 4 hours and never had a strike of anything...Some of us are evaluating our options....

Pescador - 8-23-2013 at 08:35 AM

We just finished the Santa Rosalia annual dorado tournament and Saturday was the best day for fishing. Lots of fish in the 20 lb catagory, I hooked one over 40 but my drag was a little too tight and he threw the hook. Sunday was a little slower but still quite a few fish reported. Bait has been pretty good over by the cliffs north of Mulege. This time of the year with the high water temps you won't find much for green mackerel, but the big eyes (Caballito) are very hardy and last all day in a bait tank. This time of the year you need to pay close attention to Terrafin and look for chlorophyll and temp breaks. That will tell you whether or not to head north or south from Chivato. On the south end of the island there were some small to medium sized fish and they were thick if you have some newbies who just want the thrill of catching some fish.
I do a weekly report for Western Outdoor News and you can get the latest at www.bajafisherman.com

chuckie - 8-23-2013 at 10:03 AM

What year was this?

Pescador - 8-24-2013 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What year was this?

Started Sat. the 17th and finished Sunday the 18th, August, 2013. We had quite a few fishermen from Mulege in the tournament. Looked for you but didn't see you.

Pescador - 8-24-2013 at 08:58 AM

Chuckie, for you. Pics are better than stories. First place went to Martin Gonzalez Rivas at 12.4 Kilos which is 27.9 pounds. He is the director of PESCA in Santa Rosalia.

[Edited on 8-24-2013 by Pescador]

steve5555 - 8-25-2013 at 08:06 PM

Hmmmm. That sounds mixed at best. The water looks to be in the low 80's which seems about right.

That is a long run up to San Marcos in my small boat. Maybe do it a time or too but it is too far to go daily.

Steve

chuckie - 8-26-2013 at 05:18 AM

I guess we need to go farther north..long run tho...still awful here....trolled North of Sant Inez a good ways and back 4 hours on the water not one strike...and no bait same day...Going manana' If I can get bait I'm fishing for yellowtail....

Pescador - 8-26-2013 at 06:38 AM

I would try in the vicinity of the ranch and maybe 2-3 miles east as there have been quite a few fish showing in that area.

steve5555 - 8-26-2013 at 06:58 AM

Pescador, what ranch are you referring to?

Thanks again for the tips.

steve

chuckie - 8-26-2013 at 07:49 AM

North of Chivato-South of San marcos....I have no GPS coordinates handy

steve5555 - 9-15-2013 at 06:15 PM

So, I just got back yesterday from 8 days of fishing at Punta Chivato. We fished every day for 2-4 hours, trolling feathers. The water was 83-84. We fished all directions except for back to Mulege. Each day we caught dorado although they were all under 10 pounds. Our best day was 6 Dorado and 4 skippies. Our worst day was 2 dorado and 2 skippies. At times the weather was unsettled but in general the winds were light at 5-10knots.

We hooked one sail fish but it got away. :-) We saw lots of turtles.

It was a good time.

Thanks for your tips on and the info prior to my trip.

Steve

chuckie - 9-16-2013 at 03:28 AM

Glad you had a good time! We are getting a few larger dorado but none as yet picture size. I am off em for a while, fishing deep....Last trip is today, until I get back in October.....

bajaboy1 - 9-16-2013 at 10:04 PM

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm heading down the middle of October. Hopefully it will be a little cooler then and the fishing will still be decent.