BajaNomad

2008 toy

jimgrms - 8-26-2013 at 10:06 AM

I am getting a 2008 toy 4x4 tacoma , and as i have no expierence wit them,i need info on suspension lifts , from you guys who actually drive them, thanks

bajaguy - 8-26-2013 at 10:12 AM

www.tacomaworld.com

Hit the forums

TMW - 8-26-2013 at 11:33 AM

It depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of result you are looking for.

The simple way to go with decent results is putting Bilstein 5100 shocks up front set for the most lift about 2 to 2.5 inches. Do an add a leaf to the rear to level it out. Cost for parts less than$250.

It's not recommended to lift the front more than 3 inches unless you replace the upper control arm otherwise the upper ball joints won't last.

The add a leaf will also stiffen the rear which is pretty soft on most Tacomas.

If you are going to put a winch on the front or heavy duty skid plates you should replace the coil spings along with the Bilstein shocks.

Downsouth Motor Sports and Wheeler Off Road are two excellent places to get info on what you want to do.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/

jimgrms - 8-26-2013 at 12:06 PM

Thanks TW i was hoping you would reply, I have recently moved to oceanside from Colorado, Used to live in San Bernardino and spent a lot of time in San felipe but haven't been down for over 10 years ,soi guess i have to get a passport to go there now ,

David K - 8-26-2013 at 04:28 PM

OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE in Escondido took care of my 2005 Tacoma by adding Ride Rite Air Bags and changing the rear shocks to Bilstein 5100's. My 2001 and my 2010 did not need any help. I posted about the Ride Rites in Tacoma World... and it is a HUGE forum with tons of mods and input for Tacomas.

David K - 8-26-2013 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
Thanks TW i was hoping you would reply, I have recently moved to oceanside from Colorado, Used to live in San Bernardino and spent a lot of time in San felipe but haven't been down for over 10 years ,soi guess i have to get a passport to go there now ,

You don't need anything to go to San Felipe for up to 3 days... and nobody will know if you are there longer. If you want to be all official, then Mexico wants a valid passport to issue you a tourist card (at Mexicali), for stays longer than 3 days or travel south of San Felipe.

Returning the the USA, a passport or passport card is prefered but your birth certificate and photo ID will be accepted with no problem.

TMW - 8-26-2013 at 04:39 PM

It is recommended you get a passport. I know people that still just show their drivers license and get thru but usually the border agent gives them a little crap about getting the passport. If you want to go south maybe take your birth certificate until your passport comes in.

Baja California Tourism Secretary Juan Tintos spoke to California lawmakers to promote a new CA drivers license with special features. The licenses would be embedded with technology that allows border agents to use scanners to read information from a distance, thereby helping move vehicle traffic through the “ready lanes” more quickly.

Here is the story:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/aug/21/baja-tourism-chie...

David K - 8-26-2013 at 04:42 PM

I agree Tom, and I have had a new passport from before it was requested (and we were told mandatory) by U.S. officials. I just wanted Jim to not let that keep him from going to San Felipe if he couldn't get one before his trip. Mexico will not issue a tourist card without one, however...

jimgrms - 8-27-2013 at 08:28 AM

Thanks for the info, On passports . it will be awhile before i go so i will get a pass port . i'm to old to be in a mexicali slammer .

David K - 8-27-2013 at 09:04 AM

At the border, crossing into Mexico, pull over and park as soon as possible after clearing the red/green light Mexican border. The downtown border INM office is on your left, and there is parking spaces in front of it. Walk in with your passport and get the FMM (tourist card). Free for up to 7 days and about $23 US for up to 180 days... indicate the furthest south you might go in the next 6 months, Los Cabos for example. All borders have an INM office, but it is possible that they are not always open the same hours as the border or the payment teller/ bank window nearby is not on staff. Tijuana is a 24/7 operation at their new INM office.

Neal Johns - 8-28-2013 at 09:37 AM

I have owned and lifted several Tacoma's, and recommend King coilover/shock combination for the front end if you can afford it. The shocks are rebuildable.

Barry A. - 8-28-2013 at 12:42 PM

My son's Ford Raptor has "King shocks". The ride, both on and off road, is totally amazing. If you can afford em, git em, I say.

Personally, I ride on Bilstein's.

Barry

Barry A. - 8-28-2013 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
A Ford Raptor with the stock Fox shocks is amazing! You can't compare!putting King shocks on a Tacoma and think you are going to get the same performance as a Raptor.I believe the rear shocks on a Raptor are bypass.5 grand for front and rear.

Ouch------5 grand------I hope I am not around when my son's ware out----he may come begging. :lol:

-----thanks for the clear & clean update, Whistler. I am a novice at racing-like equipment, and such. (which is obvious, I suppose. :O

Barry

willardguy - 8-28-2013 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
A Ford Raptor with the stock Fox shocks is amazing! You can't compare!putting King shocks on a Tacoma and think you are going to get the same performance as a Raptor.I believe the rear shocks on a Raptor are bypass.5 grand for front and rear.

Ouch------5 grand------I hope I am not around when my son's ware out----he may come begging. :lol:

-----thanks for the clear & clean update, Whistler. I am a novice at racing-like equipment, and such. (which is obvious, I suppose. :O

Barry
they already did wear out, hence the Kings!:lol:

Barry A. - 8-28-2013 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Er, not yet, I hope---it's less than 3 years old, and only has 13K on it. Besides, the "Kings" came stock with the truck, I believe.

Barry

rts551 - 8-28-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Er, not yet, I hope---it's less than 3 years old, and only has 13K on it. Besides, the "Kings" came stock with the truck, I believe.

Barry

You can look it up on the internet under Ford Raptor specs Barry. They are Fox Racing Shocks.

jimgrms - 8-28-2013 at 04:36 PM

Ended up finding a 1 owner 2004 trd double cab 4wd ,for 19000 which is blue book and that includes a 36000 mile warantee,, it has a lockerand bilistines already and new tires . probably to much money but he gave me a fair price for both my trades a 01 lexus and a 74 vw thing ,which is hitlers revenge .

Barry A. - 8-28-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Hi Ralph.I thought the Raptors used Fox shocks also unless they made a change.The factory Fox shocks come under warranty,which is a good thing.You have to send them back to Fox.The Kings are after market 3.0 external bypass(rear).The stock Fox shocks are 2.5 internal bypass.Hence the 5 grand.
I love my Dodge with KORE suspension but the Raptor is BADASS!!!!

I am losing it!!! FOX SHOCKS, yes-----not "kings"--------sorry about that.

Barry

rts551 - 8-28-2013 at 05:12 PM

yes Glenn, they are now selling them in Baja. The 2 the La Paz dealer got went before they arrived.

willardguy - 8-28-2013 at 05:22 PM

you don't want to tow your new RZR XP1000 with a raptor sporting stock fox shocks!:rolleyes: :lol:

Neal Johns - 8-28-2013 at 07:55 PM

Whistler, the King set is only $1,024.99 w/Free shipping from 4 Wheel Parts for Tacoma's 2004 and under. (No reservoir). I have a 2003 under my Northstar poptop camper.

TMW - 8-28-2013 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Ended up finding a 1 owner 2004 trd double cab 4wd ,for 19000 which is blue book and that includes a 36000 mile warantee,, it has a lockerand bilistines already and new tires . probably to much money but he gave me a fair price for both my trades a 01 lexus and a 74 vw thing ,which is hitlers revenge .

It's not too much if you are happy with it and it performs as you want it too. I'm very happy with my 2004 Tacoma 4x4 especially with the upgrades I did. A tacoma will last many years if you take care of it. I like the smaller version of the 1st Gen. Tacomas for Baja trail riding. But I also like the 2nd Gen. V6 engine. Before I retired I had a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 for a work truck and liked it, especially for the power.

jimgrms - 8-29-2013 at 06:52 AM

I am getting on in years ,75 so i doubt i will do a lot of heavy duty off roading , ,and as i am on oxygen i am kind of limited to how far i can go, so probably gonzogo bay will be a long trip for me ,,will probably be it

jimgrms - 10-8-2013 at 07:19 AM

Had the truck a month ,and am loving it ,everyrhing works great, except a mudflap fell off ,does seem to droop in the front a bit so i will see about fixing that, but rides great so i will leave the suspension alone , I can recall driving a old international truck all over baja in 76 when i retired from the navy and it was stock, didn'y even have a K&N air cleaner

TMW - 10-8-2013 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Had the truck a month ,and am loving it ,everyrhing works great, except a mudflap fell off ,does seem to droop in the front a bit so i will see about fixing that, but rides great so i will leave the suspension alone , I can recall driving a old international truck all over baja in 76 when i retired from the navy and it was stock, didn'y even have a K&N air cleaner

If you ever have a problem or want advice check out Tacoma World. As usual everyone has an opinion but some of the people there really know what they are talking about.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/

David K - 10-8-2013 at 05:14 PM

The mud flaps on the second gen Tacomas (2005+) are no good... (yup that is one thing no good on a Tacoma). They are hard plastic not flexible rubber... When you drop into a rut, the flap will snap off... also if enough Laguna Salada type mud sticks to it, the weight will rip them off... After re-installing them several times on my 2005, when I got my 2010, I just took them off...

I second TW's recommendation on joining TacomaWorld.com forums (what they call TW over there!). Way bigger than Nomad and while mainly U.S. and Canada members, other countries post too.