BajaNomad

Downtown San Felipe Floods

TMW - 8-29-2013 at 02:32 PM

From a friend in San Felipe about an hour or two ago.

J.P. - 8-29-2013 at 02:55 PM

WOW that's the last place I ever dreamed that would Flood.
:o:O

Riom - 8-29-2013 at 03:10 PM

Loads of rain in the San Felipe area today (as you can tell from the image...).

Over 2" so far at my house in El Dorado and it's still raining heavy (I'm not there, but my weather station reports every minute - the internet is still working).

Similar figures from Chuck's weather station in Los Viajeros Norte.

A little less at Villa Marina, 8.5 km south of town.

This comes on top of the rain from a few days ago, so the ground was already very wet.

[Edited on 2013-8-29 by Riom]

nobaddays - 8-29-2013 at 03:50 PM

This has been a natural arroyo for ever. A bad storm will rip open the wall and road to get to the sea. The other is at the north end of the Malecon past Bar Miramar.

David K - 8-29-2013 at 04:09 PM

The chubasco and flash flood of 1967 pretty much destroyed San Felipe, roads, graveyard (caskets littered the beach). With the reconstruction came the paving of the main street at the end of Hwy. 5.

willardguy - 8-29-2013 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The chubasco and flash flood of 1967 pretty much destroyed San Felipe, roads, graveyard (caskets littered the beach). With the reconstruction came the paving of the main street at the end of Hwy. 5.
THATS what the submarine was for!

David K - 8-29-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
THATS what the submarine was for!

LOL! Right! I guess we are still looking for a photo of it, yes?

durrelllrobert - 8-29-2013 at 07:26 PM

The picture is of the first street inland from the malecon. How much further inland did the flooding go?

Pacifico - 8-29-2013 at 08:16 PM

WOW! Just stayed in that hotel (costa Azul?) about a week ago! Unimaginable....

BornFisher - 8-29-2013 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom

Over 2" so far at my house in El Dorado and it's still raining heavy (I'm not there, but my weather station reports every minute - the internet is still working).

This comes on top of the rain from a few days ago, so the ground was already very wet.

Riom-- you have a great weather station, thanks for the report and links. Love the cam @ Villa Marina!!

DianaT - 8-29-2013 at 08:34 PM

Dang, not a pretty picture

Bajaboy - 8-29-2013 at 09:33 PM

Which chubasco wreaked havoc on San Felipe...some time around 1997?

BajaLuna - 8-29-2013 at 10:27 PM

that is so sad, all those people and businesses having to deal with all the damage and the mess this storm has caused.

David K - 8-29-2013 at 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Which chubasco wreaked havoc on San Felipe...some time around 1997?

Was that one 'Nora'?

Tacodawgtim - 8-30-2013 at 06:40 AM

Getting ready to head down for the Ceviche Festival. Hope town dries out. Looks like a lot of rain but that's not un common. Anxious to see how our place survived

But we will be able to get around regardless.

Ill post pictures Saturday when I get settled in

[Edited on 8-31-2013 by BajaNomad]

grace59 - 8-30-2013 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
The picture is of the first street inland from the malecon. How much further inland did the flooding go?

I have a friend who lives on the highway just north of town about a mile or so...yesterday she posted a video to Facebook that showed water flowing on the highway toward town like a river....you could hear the flow as it went by :o The entire roadway south bound was covered. The roads in El Dorado area look like they are a mess. Waiting for things to go down to have a friend check on my house.

nbacc - 8-30-2013 at 07:13 AM

I am sure the road to our house is washed out.........want to get down there and take care of the business of cleaning it up. I saw the pics of El Dorado Ranch roads and it looked near our house. hummmmmmm. I have a friend going out to look at it today.

grace59 - 8-30-2013 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbacc
I am sure the road to our house is washed out.........want to get down there and take care of the business of cleaning it up. I saw the pics of El Dorado Ranch roads and it looked near our house. hummmmmmm. I have a friend going out to look at it today.

Wow, another friend just posted pics of her neighborhood in El Dorado. She lives in Palos Verdes South and her road and Saltillo seem to be a mess :( We are further down in Los Medanos. Hoping that everything there is OK. Just have to wait until someone can get back there to check on things. Which neighborhood are you in??

Tacodawgtim - 8-30-2013 at 08:43 AM

I will be Palos Verde south tomorrow , Ill try to get some pictures posted of the area

Bwana_John - 8-30-2013 at 09:14 AM

Looks like the seawall on the Malecon may have impounded water behind it(?)

Bajajorge - 8-30-2013 at 09:23 AM

That section of San Felipe floods every time there is a big rain storm. Sometimes worse than others. The picture looks similar to past occurrences.
Looks like I'll be repairing my driveway again this year.

grace59 - 8-30-2013 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Quote:
Originally posted by Riom

Riom-- you have a great weather station, thanks for the report and links. Love the cam @ Villa Marina!!

Yes, Riom...thanks for the weather station! I use it all the time. Nice to have something there that is actually close to me!

steve5555 - 8-30-2013 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
Looks like the seawall on the Malecon may have impounded water behind it(?)

I wonder that too. How come the water did not just drain into the sea?? It seems like it slopes down towards the sea.

steve

David K - 8-30-2013 at 09:52 PM

There is a small rise from the street to the top of the beach. Dunes in non-developed coastline also block desert drainage except where arroyos broke through. Lagoons or estuaries and barrier islands are along this coast perhaps created by flash floods.

All that rain in San Felipe and El Gulfo but not a drop on the Rio Hardy

mcfez - 8-31-2013 at 10:15 AM

This is our place 7 miles north of town

akshadow - 8-31-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

thanks for the picture posting. check u2

mcfez - 8-31-2013 at 12:28 PM

u2 back

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

thanks for the picture posting. check u2

Tacodawgtim - 9-1-2013 at 05:37 PM

I'm in San Felipe now, Palos Verde South. The main road thru the ranch, Saltito is fine. I have seen it in better but I have seen it worse shape. Almost all of the access roads to the different sections have been graded for access. There are some pretty deep washes but from what I have seen all passable. Town is pretty well dried up and cleaned up . The last bad section was the far north end after you turn off the Malecon. Muddy mess but they were busy cleaning it up yesterday. It is warm. 🌵

grace59 - 9-1-2013 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
I'm in San Felipe now, Palos Verde South. The main road thru the ranch, Saltito is fine. I have seen it in better but I have seen it worse shape. Almost all of the access roads to the different sections have been graded for access. There are some pretty deep washes but from what I have seen all passable. Town is pretty well dried up and cleaned up . The last bad section was the far north end after you turn off the Malecon. Muddy mess but they were busy cleaning it up yesterday. It is warm. 🌵

Thanks for the update! Got some pics from our house there and while there was some damage, it could have been worse. Glad to hear that things are warming up!