BajaNomad

Las Canada's y Punta Cabras - Labor Day Trip Report

Ateo - 9-2-2013 at 09:40 AM

We do an annual trip to Las Canada's with my wife's family. I spent a lot of time worrying about the holiday weekend traffic and crowds, prior to leaving, but decided I would come along anyway, as it is Baja and The Baja always have something up it's sleeve to show or teach.

Traffic started in Encinitas.

We pulled into Las Canadas and set up camp only to have someone barge our camp site. See other thread as I've moved on and don't care to elaborate. =)

The next day, I jumped at the opportunity of heading south with the wife and kids. Lucy wanted to go check out Erendira and Punta Cabras, two places we hadn't been in many years but used to be our go to weekend getaway. Fortunately I had a surf board stashed in the truck and I was about to get some water time.

Last time I was here, this rock was completely exposed. Now it's buried under 6 feet of sand.

We bailed out the dirt road and headed back North. This road was in good shape.

The border wait coming back Sunday at 2PM was 20 minutes, READY LANE Otay.

I don't have a great ending slide so I'll just add this:

Mexitron - 9-2-2013 at 09:53 AM

Any dunes left at Cabras? We used to camp on the point---kept some of the people out by having to cross the dunes.

Nice pics, I remember those hay fields well.

Mexitron - 9-2-2013 at 09:55 AM

Las Canadas---that the place you see south of Maneadero by the old checkpoint?

Ateo - 9-2-2013 at 09:57 AM

Yeah, plenty of dunes. I too would camp on the point. There's that little walk down over there.

Last time we went there was a double wide parked over on the point. What an eyesore. It's gone now. Just that little grave/shrine thingy.

Those hay fields are beautiful but could barely be seen due to the fog.

Ateo - 9-2-2013 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Las Canadas---that the place you see south of Maneadero by the old checkpoint?

Exactly. Drove past it for 20 years and never gave it a thought. I guess it's an OK place if you find yourself there and need to overnight. Just make sure no one parks their Suburban 2 feet from your tent.

[Edited on 9-2-2013 by Ateo]

Curt63 - 9-2-2013 at 10:20 AM

Nice O'side harbor action.

David K - 9-2-2013 at 11:03 AM

Thank you Jon... your sharing the Baja trip with us is so nice and appreciated!

TMW - 9-2-2013 at 11:05 AM

Beautiful pictures, thanks. Sorry about the camp problem, seems others have had the same thing happen with some interesting solutions.