BajaNomad

Avet reels?

chuckie - 9-3-2013 at 02:04 PM

I have been hearing good things about them.Its almost that time of year that I treat myself to something I dont need, :tumble:and an Avet is on my short list...Any experience-comments- suggestions? Thanks

Loretana - 9-3-2013 at 02:12 PM

Just do it!
I love my 2 speed LX. :dudette:

Pescador - 9-3-2013 at 02:16 PM

I have a bunch and they really stand up to the beating we give reels with Yellowtail. I definately reccomend the HX Raptor as the best of the best. It has dual drags, you can set up to 53 lbs of drag. The machining and functioning of these reels are very good. If I could have only one reel in that category, it would probably be an Accurate cause they are a smidgen better, but for the price, nothing really holds up to the standards of an AVET.
I have all the bearings and a good supply of parts so it is easy to keep it running smoothly. I do reccomend that you do a lubrication and coating which will make them last a lot longer. Alan Tani taught me to do that and it makes a big difference in how the reel holds up. Yamalube coating of all internal parts, Cal's grease applied to the drags, and Yamalube on all of the screws.
I have found that the best setup for my usage is 80 lb Hollow spectra ( I prefer Jerry Brown) and then I use the "chinese finger trap with a serving for the top shot of monofilament. If you prefer total mono, that works also, just needs changing occasionally.

Howard - 9-3-2013 at 02:17 PM

Once you use a 2 speed it's reel :)) hard to go back to a conventional 1 speed. I have been using 2 speeds for 5 years now and they are great especially dragging up Yellowtail from the bottom.

MMc - 9-3-2013 at 02:21 PM

I have one of the first ones, not that impressed. I understand they have improved them. All of the other gear is Shimano, Penn and Accurate. Love all the Accurate stuff with I had started with them. Accurate is expensive however.

chuckie - 9-3-2013 at 03:57 PM

Howard: I keep forgetting the snake....

acadist - 9-3-2013 at 04:21 PM

Love 'em! Taken my LX 4 or 5 years now and caught everything, latest was 50# Dorado and 2 Marlin on 40# test. Casts so smooth it even makes me look like a pro:lol:

gpm414 - 9-3-2013 at 05:56 PM

Bought 4 MXL 2 spds. last year and love them. They hold 350 yds of 50# braid with 125 yds of 30 Maxima on top. I fish lighter tackle than many people, but they have handled dorado (to 30 lbs), Yellowtail (to 40lbs) and tuna to 35.
They are well made, smooth drags... go for the 2 spd if the budget allows, you won't regret it. They're available at several places, but I went with Chark Bait in Huntington Beach. Mark knows the reels very well and can answer any questions, plus help you select which size is best for you. Go for it, you won't regret it.

woody with a view - 9-3-2013 at 06:50 PM

i got an SX and love it. still haven't caught a fish with it but it has 40# spectra and 50 yard mono topshot 30#.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-3-2013 at 07:11 PM

Hola Pescador ,

what is yamalube and where does one get it ?

it sounds like it would be from yamaha ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Pescador - 9-3-2013 at 07:11 PM

Chuckie, if you are interested, you can come up to the rod and reel shop which is run by my friend Rigo Ojeda. He builds custom rods and does reel maintence and I would be happy to show you the different set ups and reel sizes. We are in San Bruno, just off the highway.

Paulina - 9-3-2013 at 07:26 PM

My reasoning isn't as technical as others posted above. We have four Avets and we love them. We have two JXs and two HXs. What we like about the JX is that it's the same as the LX series, but has a narrower spool for easier leveling of the line as you wind, which makes it nice for yo yo-ing for yellowtail. The HXs are our bigger tow truck models, which we like to use for fishing live bait down deep. We load them with spectra and top shot them with fluoro.

P>*)))>{

Avet Reel

bajaumpaw - 9-3-2013 at 08:15 PM

Based on a recommendation from Pescador, I just purchased and received an HX Raptor from Chark Bait. I loaded it with 80# hollow core braid and 60# Berkley Big Game mono with a served connection of the mono to the braid. Price was $524.00. They sent it with a nice reel cover. I am heading back to Mulege in Oct and if it won't handle a 50# Yellowtail, Pescador is in deep grease. It looks great in the box. Thank's Pescador.

Alan - 9-3-2013 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaumpaw
Based on a recommendation from Pescador, I just purchased and received an HX Raptor from Chark Bait. I loaded it with 80# hollow core braid and 60# Berkley Big Game mono with a served connection of the mono to the braid. Price was $524.00. They sent it with a nice reel cover. I am heading back to Mulege in Oct and if it won't handle a 50# Yellowtail, Pescador is in deep grease. It looks great in the box. Thank's Pescador.
He didn't steer you wrong. I bought the same reel (non-raptor) and line 3 years ago and I just love it. Dropping into that low speed just seems to let me turn their heads so much easier and it kept so many big YT out of the rocks and became my goto on a 8 day aboard the American Angler.

I was so impressed with that reel I followed it with a MXL 2 spd, non-raptor, spooled with 65# spectra with a 30# topshot coupled with a CalStar 700M. This is now my goto setup for winter/spring YT in La Paz. It is soooo comfortable to fish I am know considering a MXL Raptor for a 40# setup.

I can't believe my Trinidads have become my guest reels :lol:

[Edited on 9-4-2013 by Alan]

FELIXMG24 - 9-9-2013 at 04:19 PM

the best...2 speed of course.!

[Edited on 9-9-2013 by FELIXMG24]