BajaNomad

Practical Business Practices 101 (Baja Edition)

Gypsy Jan - 9-8-2013 at 09:52 AM

Last night our neighbor threw a big party to celebrate Mexican Independence Day.

The menu called for live music, flashing multi-colored strobe llights, an illuminated dance floor, a wall of flat screens to play videos synchronized with the music, a catered dinner and...wait for it...an elaborate fireworks display.

He was kind enough to notify us beforehand about the fireworks so we could secure the dogs, in order to prevent any window breaking and wall jumping.

Well, the day of the party arrived and a pitiful, small couple of cardboard cartons were dropped off in the yard - no sign of the contractor or the platform or infrastructure to set off the display that had been agreed on and...PAID FOR IN FULL, IN ADVANCE.

So, it fell upon the caterer and his crew to light the few fireworks that had been delivered, a much smaller, less flashy and noisy event than originally planned.

We commiserated with our neighbor and his disappointment, but secretly. well, we were glad for the downsizing of the hysterical responses that occurred in our household

I'm sure you don't need me to point out the flaw that occurred in the party planning and will keep this example in mind for future events.

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

DavidE - 9-9-2013 at 01:07 PM

Dont'cha love Mexico. Driving down the road, suddenly this titanic rock arch entryway appears. Wrought iron gates, chained pillars disappearing down a paved road to who knows where. The iron tipped rock wall passes by and soon the wrought iron tips disappear. Then the workmanship in the wall takes a hit. The work gets sloppy, missing mortar, or gaps between rocks six inches wide plastered with mortar. Mortar gets harder to find. Rocks bulge. Then it's only rock piled atop rock but gravity limits that to around three feet in height. Soon only scattered rocks are seen, then nada.

All within a hundred feet of the gate...

And it's been that way for seven years...

How many hundreds of examples of this have i seen over the years?

Hey it's Mexico and I wouldn't have it any other way :)