BajaNomad

Spoiled Fish

Osprey - 9-19-2013 at 09:53 AM

Spoiled Fish

This little essay is not about children but I must mention them to get your attention. Modern youngsters are thought not to be as healthy as those in earlier generations. Some say children of the 30’s and 40s played in the mud, ate dirt and bugs by sheer accident and somehow that introduced microbes into their systems in a way that made them less susceptible to modern allergens.

I won’t argue the point but I do want to give caution to my flyfishing pals. I have lots of them and I admire the fact that they release almost all the fish they catch and do many other things to protect their habitat.

I watch them at play, I watch a ton of TV shows about fly fishing – the sport is growing like a wildfire, attracting people of all ages and all persuasions. Professional anglers take many steps to protect each animal they hook; they wear gloves, they often don’t use nets lest a net do some harm to the fish. They are careful about the capture and even more careful about the release. They employ special barbless hooks, work the fish to a spot near the shore where they release it to make sure it is ready to return to the stream, river, ocean in good condition.

Back to the children. Might my heroes be codling the fish (pun intended)? Aren’t they training the fish, conditioning the animal to expect special touchy feeling handling? Don’t you suppose the fish are passing their weaker genes into the (another pun) pool? Deep in the eat or be eaten biome they inhabit is their mother, Mother Nature, a hard mother who waits along with bears, otter, eagles, weasels, turtles, snakes, barracuda, jacks, and sharks who are looking for weakness, a millisecond’s hesitation as a signal for attack.

So the very caring sportsmen may not be doing the fish any favors when they practice such care, go to such great lengths to press the fish they catch with as little stress as is possible. Perhaps stress and trauma will help them remain alert and energetic – I can see small, inexpensive mini tazers (perhaps powered only by 2 AAA batteries). Maybe if the anglers leave the fish out of water for a few minutes (I was going to call that Air-boarding but the word Boarding has very strong public recognition and bias), let them flop around on the boat deck, sand, kayak before they are roughly released, it would make them stronger, faster, more motivated.

I think my idea could produce a win-win scenario since almost all flyguys seek action from their prey, want strong fighters and will go to the ends of the earth to pull in bonefish, giant Trevally, peac-ck bass – they are not seeking whimpy fish. If they practice my new method they may lose some weak ones but they will, over all, produce a new, virile brand of fish that are rough, tough and hard to bluff.

Skipjack Joe - 9-19-2013 at 10:39 AM

The guys at Manzanita Lake have been saying that for years. The fish have been caught and released so many times they no longer care. "All right, all right... Quit your fussing. I'm coming in. Just pull the hook out and get it over with".

[Edited on 9-19-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Pescador - 9-19-2013 at 11:34 AM

Let's just say I had a less than warm reception when I suggested to a couple of "outdoor writers" that they not post pictures of sailfish and marlin drug up on the back of the deck for a release. Of course I quoted all the studies that show those fish usually get infections and die, or have their insides so messed up that they die a slower death. But the response was one of indignation that I could be so crass as to call attention to a "Noble Release".

While Bambi messed up generations of hunters I am sure that our cross to bear was the great move "A River Runs Through It" and it became pretty much the holy grail of devotees of the wispy rod.

I am versatile with a fly rod, spinning rod, casting rod but I have just never had a "tingle run down my leg" when using the long rod but I have taken seriously the issue of releasing those fish in the fastest and most effecient method possible in order to assure their survival.

We had some "Sportsmen" doing some flyfishing for Rooster Fish in our area and I pulled up and watched them. They took a long time getting the fish in to the boat in 85-90 degree water. When they finally manhandled the fish to get the hook removed they would hold them up by the tail so that they would sink out of sight and they could congratulate themselves on a successful release. Problem was, they never did work on reviving the fish and I counted 4 floaters after they left to move on to another location. :no::no::no:

Osprey - 9-19-2013 at 12:14 PM

Jim, they were just culling the herd but they don't sound like scientific types to me. Could there be some redneck rebels out there that are way ahead of me? They sound like the one click above depth charge guys. How about a TV show called Roosterfish Dynasty?

Cypress - 9-19-2013 at 12:42 PM

This redneck is.

catch and eat

durrelllrobert - 9-19-2013 at 04:22 PM

DaliDali - 9-19-2013 at 05:17 PM

Spoiled?.....catch, cook (or not) and eat...repeat as necessary.

Osprey - 9-19-2013 at 05:58 PM

Okay DD, you're the Chairman of the Board. (Because you did not show for the meeting)

monoloco - 9-19-2013 at 10:27 PM

I'm a firm believer in fillet and release fishing.

The Chairman

DaliDali - 9-19-2013 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I'm a firm believer in fillet and release fishing.

You didn't show up for that board meeting either!!..:biggrin: