BajaNomad

Doctors Best Insurance, IMSS, Seguro Popular?

ccorbridge - 9-23-2013 at 08:06 AM

which if any of these health care options do you use? what is the premium per year?

I have been reading all I can find on this forum and elsewhere and of course am getting mixed info.

Dr's Best costs about $900/yr and is catastrophic. It has a $5K deductible with limits of $500K per yr and many other limits for certain procedures. Like $75K/yr for cardiac surgery.

IMSS sounds maybe better than Seguro Popular. But, I'm not sure. What are the approx. premiums for a 63 yr old? or what do you pay?

EnsenadaDr - 9-23-2013 at 09:56 PM

What part of town are you located?

ccorbridge - 9-24-2013 at 07:56 AM

My place is north of San Felipe. It looks like most people on this forum are somewhere in NW Baja. So I guess I'm kind of out of the area. Right now I'm in Montana. I'll be heading south sometime in late October.

Stopping in Calexico at the MX Consulate to pick up a temporary resident VISA. Then on south to start development of the place. Just bare land now. the adventure continues.

EnsenadaDr - 9-24-2013 at 08:14 AM

It takes a while to get approved with IMSS, you need a physical, etc. and you don't get emergency benefits immediately and pay approximately $300 American. A classmate of mine did her internship in the Seguro Popular in San Felipe. Sign up with the Seguro Popular clinic in San Felipe when you get there, at least you will be covered with basic medications and emergency services, and doctor's visits if you need them. They may charge you to join they may not. I think you should be good to go with a temporary resident Visa.

ccorbridge - 9-24-2013 at 08:34 AM

thanks! I will sign up.
my current USA insurance will be revamped next month due to Obama care and I'll be looking at either continuing with US based insurance for my time stateside; with Seguro Popular, IMSS or private ins for MX. Or going to an international policy to cover all.
Luckily, I'm currently in excellent health. But 64(1 yr away) seems to be a cut off point for some of the MX options. anyway, thanks for your very specific suggestion.
fishing in the rain here today, thinking of mananas in Mexico.

EnsenadaDr - 9-24-2013 at 09:04 AM

No from what I understand there is no cut off age with Seguro Popular anyways. Maybe IMSS, but I don't think so, I saw many elderly patients when I was doing my clinicals at IMSS 8 on Reforma.

ccorbridge - 9-24-2013 at 09:05 AM

good to know

bajaguy - 9-24-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ccorbridge
"......... Luckily, I'm currently in excellent health. But 64(1 yr away).........."

Do you qualify for medicare at age 65???? If so, I suggest supplemental plan "F"....this plan reimburses you for medical emergencies in foreign countries.

ccorbridge - 9-24-2013 at 09:30 AM

yes, I will qualify. really? Plan F? I never heard of that. Sounds like just the ticket, if affordable. I'll do some checking. thanks!

bajaguy - 9-24-2013 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ccorbridge
yes, I will qualify. really? Plan F? I never heard of that. Sounds like just the ticket, if affordable. I'll do some checking. thanks!

You can get a good deal on it through AMAC, AARP and other carriers. I think I pay $130 a month.....it is a no deductable plan. I ran up a $46,500 hospital bill and between Medicare A and B and my plan F it didn't cost me anything out of pocket.

ccorbridge - 9-24-2013 at 09:51 AM

Well, that does look like an excellent option for when I'm 65. Thanks.
Still need to figure out the next couple years though.

Alm - 9-26-2013 at 01:09 PM

$US 300 a year for IMSS at this age. Plus $US 300 (?) for registration. But It won't cover you for the 1st year as mentioned, and it won't cover pre-existing conditions, and for those insured not through employer it won't cover medications. There were expats on pension who had their medications covered for some time, and then it stopped.

Seguro Popular is better in many aspects, but they have other problems - not all the procedures are covered even when it's not a pre-existing, and patients have to pay then, or go NOB for Medicare if they are gringos. Treatment costs are low by US standards, but could be too much for somebody on SS pension. Annual premiums depend on income, and people with income equivalent to the US social pension fall in the highest premium group.