BajaNomad

Tecate Crossing

bajaguy - 9-23-2013 at 09:34 AM

Headed to Ensenada on Thursday Sept 19 with two loaded pickup trucks full of personal items and a used washing machine.

Hit the Tecate crossing at about 12:30, the declare lane was blocked off by orange cones. Detoured to a regular lane, got the green light.....expected customs guys to come running and flag us over......nope, all three of then were leaning against one of their shiny new Dodge pickups.

Drove through town, stopped at every stop sign, moved with the flow of traffic. Did not see any police cars or motorcycles.

No military checkpoints from Tecate to Ensenada

All in all, an uneventful crossing

PS: Dog was in the camper shell, no seatbelt, no doggy car seat. Cat was snoozing on the dashboard.

sancho - 9-23-2013 at 11:54 AM

You're living on the edge, perro has no seat belt?
Gato not in an approved carrier, anchored by no less
than 4 points

No Bite

bajaguy - 9-23-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
than 4 points

I was trolling for the infamous Tecate Police mordita shakedown, but no luck.

chuckie - 9-23-2013 at 02:40 PM

I use super glue on my cats feet until we clear the hill...

Mulegena - 9-23-2013 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I use super glue on my cats feet until we clear the hill...

You cruel man! Bungie cords or suction cup shoes should do the trick!!!

beachbum1A - 9-24-2013 at 07:03 AM

I was going to ask about the "used washing machine" but then thought better of it. :lol:

RnR - 9-24-2013 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Hit the Tecate crossing at about 12:30, the declare lane was blocked off by orange cones. Detoured to a regular lane, got the green light.....expected customs guys to come running and flag us over......nope, all three of then were leaning against one of their shiny new Dodge pickups.

The Declare Lane has been blocked by cones for a couple of years. They use the area as covered parking....

If you actually stop at the customs area office in front of the cones to declare something, you have to back up and then proceed through one of the Nothing To Declare lanes.

Sometimes the agents standing around the two open lanes take a quick look, and sometimes not .....

J.P. - 9-24-2013 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
than 4 points

I was trolling for the infamous Tecate Police mordita shakedown, but no luck.

Too bad, you didn't get a chance to show them your Badge :lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr - 10-18-2013 at 04:34 PM

Tecate on the American side was full of delays at least an extra 40 minutes because of the US side repaving the road. I don't see why it is needed but avoid it I would imagine for the next few days.

Bob and Susan - 10-18-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum1A
I was going to ask about the "used washing machine" but then thought better of it. :lol:

washer.jpg - 37kB

bajabuddha - 10-18-2013 at 10:44 PM

I had a WONDERFUL experience crossing at Tecate. After securing my FMM and driving to the new 'updated' electronic gate system, i pulled to the gate-pole, and waited.... and waited... and a young official looking joven walked out after about 3 minutes, looked at me like a bull looking at a new gate, and waved me closer to the bar. I crept foreward for maybe 6" and he signaled to 'alto', and nothing happened. He showed more perplexivity (word? por que chinga no?) and then called someone on his cellphone, asking apparently why the gate wasn't working properly. After another 3 - 5 minutes, he gets a call back, looks at me, gives me the Universal Hand Gesture for 'just a moment', and Lo! and behold, the gate OPENS! So, i pulled through. As i started down the hill he signalled me to stop and back up, and i happily waved to him, "thanks for letting me through", and proceded through down-town Tecate.

Now, half-way up the 'Big Hill' and 5 or 14 stop signs and lights later, i had a Tecate Gendarme do a 'yoo-ee' right in front of me and turn on his bubblegum machine on the side of the road. My sphincter factor is now a +5, and i, in the left lane and he on the right side of the road kept our perspective goals in mind... Me, getting the Phouque out of Dodge, and he, doing whatever it was he was doing that had nothing to do with me.

I must admit, it was a memorable experience. One for the books. Stop by for a beer and i'll tell you why i was so concerned..... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......
bb.

Udo - 10-20-2013 at 09:45 AM

MY experiences through Tecate, have been uneventful. Trailer, boat, or stuff or top of the FJ. Always went through with a green light, and no cops in sight.

The only cops I ever did see were the ones that sometimes direct traffic to the border crossing into the US.

Chupacabra - 10-22-2013 at 08:49 AM

I never go go Tecate anymore to cross...only two lanes + no sentri + no ready + no commercial lane = longer waits than Otay.

Weekday crossings at Otay after 6PM have been reliably under 1 hour for me lately, often less than 30 min...

Chupacabra - 10-22-2013 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra
I never go go Tecate anymore to cross...only two lanes + no sentri + no ready + no commercial lane = longer waits than Otay.

Weekday crossings at Otay after 6PM have been reliably under 1 hour for me lately, often less than 30 min...

Of course y'all are talking about crossing *into* Mexico. If I actually read the thread carefully I would know that, wouldn't I...

EnsenadaDr - 10-22-2013 at 09:36 AM

You are dead wrong. I have crossed Tecate, Mexico side into Tecate, USA side in less than 10 minutes in afternoons during the week. I have Sentri, and that lane in Otay has only one or two lanes and takes at least a half hour at that time. Tecate has a problem with a long wait on Sunday evenings from what Border Patrol told me it is because people do not have proper identifications, i.e. Passports.
Quote:

Chupacabra - 10-22-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
You are dead wrong. I have crossed Tecate, Mexico side into Tecate, USA side in less than 10 minutes in afternoons during the week. I have Sentri, and that lane in Otay has only one or two lanes and takes at least a half hour at that time.

That's a hell of a long drive (time + gas) to save 20-30 minutes of wait time at Otay. Once across, you waste even more time and gas getting back from the middle of nowhere.

It used to be faster, but from my perspective crossing at Tecate just doesn't make sense anymore if you live near the coast.

Of course, Tecate is a nice town and I've enjoyed some nice dinners at the restaurants along the central park.

which one???

EdZeranski - 10-22-2013 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
MY experiences through Tecate, have been uneventful.

Last time through I was stopped for "running a stop sign" When I asked which one I was told "The one you didn't see". He let me go when I told him my fist time through Tecate was in 1964.

EdZ

Bajahowodd - 10-22-2013 at 05:12 PM

I've returned North thru Tecate on most of my recent trips. But, unless you are coming from the East, I do not see the benefit for crossing there headed South. The new facility at SY seems to work very well. For those of us that travel up and down I-5, I just do not see Tecate as a Southbound entry point simply because of all the additional driving.

EnsenadaDr - 10-22-2013 at 05:58 PM

Well shoot you live in La Jolla, depends on where you want to end up. If I am heading to East County, Tecate is the best crossing for me.
Quote:
Quote:
You are dead wrong. I have crossed Tecate, Mexico side into Tecate, USA side in less than 10 minutes in afternoons during the week. I have Sentri, and that lane in Otay has only one or two lanes and takes at least a half hour at that time.

That's a hell of a long drive (time + gas) to save 20-30 minutes of wait time at Otay. Once across, you waste even more time and gas getting back from the middle of nowhere.

It used to be faster, but from my perspective crossing at Tecate just doesn't make sense anymore if you live near the coast.

Of course, Tecate is a nice town and I've enjoyed some nice dinners at the restaurants along the central park.

norte - 10-22-2013 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You are dead wrong.

You sound a lot like DavidE. Are you guys married? (heaven help us if you are)or related. Seem to be the two wo are always right and every one else is wrong.

Just my small observation

EnsenadaDr - 10-22-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I was right I am saying that the crossing in Tecate at times is less wait at times.
Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Quote:
You are dead wrong.

You sound a lot like DavidE. Are you guys married? (heaven help us if you are)or related. Seem to be the two wo are always right and every one else is wrong.

Just my small observation

DENNIS - 10-22-2013 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdZeranski
Last time through I was stopped for "running a stop sign" When I asked which one I was told "The one you didn't see". He let me go when I told him my first time through Tecate was in 1964.

EdZ

WOW.... Really?????? 1964...eh. That cop must have peed his pants with respect.
I know I just did.

rts551 - 10-22-2013 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Last time through I was stopped for "running a stop sign" When I asked which one I was told "The one you didn't see". He let me go when I told him my first time through Tecate was in 1964.

EdZ

I know I just did.

Real interesting since I don't believe the hwy was completed then.

DENNIS - 10-22-2013 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Ohhh...don't ruin a good story with facts. :lol:

David K - 10-22-2013 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

EdZ

I know I just did.

Which highway? The Tecate to Ensenada (El Sauzal) highway (Mex. 3) was paved in 1961. (From the 1962 Lower California Guidebook)

Thanks....DK.!!

captkw - 10-22-2013 at 10:15 PM

David K - 10-22-2013 at 10:54 PM

No problema KW!

I have these books, and memories to share!:light::cool:

rts551 - 10-23-2013 at 07:58 AM

sorry. I knew it was somewhere in that time frame. Hmmm two peas in a pod.