BajaNomad

Ahhh those lovely yellowtail!!! Asuncion Fishing Report

shari - 9-26-2013 at 04:37 PM

Captain Juan has been hauling in nice big tails all week up to 20 kilos in a morning....fish in the 25-25 lb range as well as big calicos, whitefish, sheepshead and even caught a sierra! Lots of bait everywhere too....the sardine boats are busy catching the bait for the lobster traps.

The season starts on Oct. 1st here so town is abuzz with anticipation as it means that the economy in the village will pick up again. Fishermen are busy getting their traps & receivers done & moved down to the beaches so they are ready to set them on the 30th....Ummmm....I can taste that fresh lobster now.

Shore fishing is also excellent with halibut, corvina & yellowfin croaker along the beaches. Kayakers are enjoying fishing so close to shore...let the good times roll in Asuncion!

Here is one of our favorite thugs....I mean clients....who fished with Juan....geezo....that big lug makes that yellowtail look small!

woody with a view - 9-26-2013 at 06:37 PM

atta boy DT! you shoulda tossed that little one back!!!!:P

dtbushpilot - 9-26-2013 at 08:54 PM

I wanted to use him for bait but Juan was scared of what we might catch. Check out the battle scars on Charlie's yellowtail, he put up an epic fight with a lobo to score that one.....Charlie 1, lobo 0....my kinda fishing...

dtbushpilot - 9-27-2013 at 02:04 PM

Shari, you forgot to mention how good the lobo fishing is, Charlie and I easily caught our limit of lobos. we caught most of them using live calicos for bait....:lol::lol:

Udo - 9-27-2013 at 06:25 PM

That is what Pescador has been saying for years...

Juan's fishing career will change David, when he starts using live bait.

As for me...I'm just after a meal for a few days, so my kayak and some Mexican feathers, crocs, and some blue & white #6 xraps are good for me!

When we come down in December, Shari,
I'll plan some meals around the seasonal catch of lobster and oysters, something like a lobster gumbo. Oysters don't work in gumbo. But I'll bring the rest of the meats.

acadist - 9-27-2013 at 08:53 PM

nice 'tails :bounce:

dtbushpilot - 9-27-2013 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

As for me...I'm just after a meal for a few days, so my kayak and some Mexican feathers, crocs, and some blue & white #6 xraps are good for me!

I'll plan some meals around the seasonal catch of lobster and oysters, something like a lobster gumbo. Oysters don't work in gumbo. But I'll bring the rest of the meats.

Live bait is the key udo, all you need to do is catch it with a big hook and let it fight till a lobo shows up. the lobo's put up a pretty good fight but like anything else they can be brought to gaff. A little sea salt, cracked black pepper, a bit of tai seasoning and a hot charcoal grill.....mmmmmm charcoal broiled lobo steaks, now we're talking Baja cookin........

Bubba - 9-28-2013 at 05:14 AM

I'm jealous!

churro - 9-28-2013 at 07:32 AM

NICE Shari! any sign of tuna ?

shari - 9-28-2013 at 07:38 AM

No tuna or dorado yet in close

acadist - 9-28-2013 at 01:57 PM

Gonna try to come down the week after Thanksgiving, save one for me!

woody with a view - 9-28-2013 at 02:09 PM

depending on the tuna (okay, or YT!!!) we'll be in the hood around 11-17 for a week or so.

Timo1 - 9-28-2013 at 02:17 PM

We'll meet ya there Woody

woody with a view - 9-28-2013 at 02:21 PM

first round is on me!

Bajaboy - 9-28-2013 at 03:20 PM

water is pretty cold for this time of year:no:

Udo - 9-28-2013 at 04:13 PM

Do you have a photo of a lobo, David?

To my knowledge, I've never seen one.
Perhaps if they are called something else, I might have seen it.

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Live bait is the key udo, all you need to do is catch it with a big hook and let it fight till a lobo shows up. the lobo's put up a pretty good fight but like anything else they can be brought to gaff. A little sea salt, cracked black pepper, a bit of tai seasoning and a hot charcoal grill.....mmmmmm charcoal broiled lobo steaks, now we're talking Baja cookin........

willardguy - 9-28-2013 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

same as an F150, but bark like a dog! :lol:

woody with a view - 9-28-2013 at 04:22 PM

and swim like no other!:lol:

DianaT - 9-28-2013 at 04:51 PM

And there is a real need for a couple of Great White Sharks to trim their numbers. :yes:

It is too bad the tuna do not show up every year. :no:

dtbushpilot - 9-28-2013 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Just tell Juan that you want to catch a young tender lobo to bar-b-que and he will get you on them.....bring your heavy gear:lol::lol: