BajaNomad

Best wireless carrier for Baja?

basautter - 9-29-2013 at 06:30 AM

Can anyone tell me what carriers work best/worst in Baja? I am switching fro T-Mobile to Verizon. T-Mobile seemed to work well.

Thanks!

Shimmer - 9-29-2013 at 07:29 AM

AT&T seems to be the best around Todos Santos. Verizon works in some places of Cabo.

Howard - 9-29-2013 at 07:44 AM

A T & T is far superior to any other U.S.A. based carrier.

Pacifico - 9-29-2013 at 08:10 AM

AT&T

Pacifico - 9-29-2013 at 08:10 AM

AT&T

willardguy - 9-29-2013 at 09:24 AM

CDMA phones (verizon) are popular and work well norte but worldwide (including baja) GSM phones (att) are the most widely used. go with ATT !

Ateo - 9-29-2013 at 09:36 AM

AT&T.

grace59 - 9-29-2013 at 09:49 AM

It is definitely ATT! Our neighbors in San Felipe switched from the carrier that they had to Verizon because Verizon told them that their phones work in Mexico.....seems though that they don't work in San Felipe and some other parts of Baja. The neighbors had a very difficult time cancelling their plan so that they could switch to ATT. SO if Verizon tells you that they work in Mexico remind them that Baja is also part of Mexico and that it doesn't work well there! ATT also has a Viva Mexico plan which helps if you call to or from Mexico a lot like we do.

woody with a view - 9-29-2013 at 11:34 AM

ATT

basautter - 9-29-2013 at 01:40 PM

Thanks for the great advice! I am switching to ATT!!

pauldavidmena - 9-29-2013 at 04:14 PM

In the U.S., my wife has AT&T and I have T-Mobile. When we were last in Baja, my wife had coverage without having to pay roaming charges, while I paid over $30 in data roaming charges for the few minutes I had the phone on at the Los Cabos airport before changing to a Telcel SIM card. Based upon this experience, I would agree that the best U.S. carrier for use in Baja is definitely AT&T.

woody with a view - 9-29-2013 at 04:16 PM

that may be, but ATT will have coverage (priceless!) over every other carrier in most places. so what if they want $1/minute. if you need to be connected, you must pay the capitalists....

dasubergeek - 10-1-2013 at 12:10 PM

Just for completeness' sake (oh yeah: AT&T!), note that Verizon will work in the border area of Tijuana, Tecate and Mexicali, and as far south as Ensenada, but that's about it—not even the Valle de Guadalupe.

BajaParrothead - 10-1-2013 at 01:45 PM

I called Verizon and inquired what I needed to do to get my phone to work throughout Baja. They told me that as long as it is 4g, then there was no need to "unlock" it, so the rep talked me through the conversion to have access throughout Baja. So after completely changing my existing plan, getting rid of my unlimited data pack and paying an additional $15 per phone for the time we were in Baja, it worked down to Ensenada, La Paz and San Jose, but nowhere else. Complete waste. :fire: Next trip I'll just by a cheap telcel. At least it will work!! :light:

tjsue - 10-1-2013 at 03:09 PM

My T-Mobile Smartphone doesn't work where I live in Tijuana. I bought a cheapo ($16) AT&T Go Phone, and it works on both sides of the border. Next month, I'll be getting a Magic Jack Plus for my computer.

With the pre-paid, I use it to call my job, but also have the same phone numbers programmed into it as my SmartPhone. If they call when I'm in Mexico, the call is returned via email. If they call me when I'm in the US, I return the call with my SmartPhone.

This system actually works pretty well.

[Edited on 10-1-2013 by tjsue]

captain4tuna - 10-1-2013 at 06:08 PM

ATT