BajaNomad

Tell Us About Your Baja Nomad Avatar......

Ateo - 9-29-2013 at 06:08 PM

Or lack of avatar.............

This is the one image we use to represent us on the board.

Where'd ya get yours? Does it have a meaning?

Just looking to better know all of you.................

:cool::cool::cool:

DENNIS - 9-29-2013 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Does it have a meaning?

Yep...a very secret meaning. :lol:

Ateo - 9-29-2013 at 06:28 PM

I like yours DENNIS. A blank, clean slate. Or is it just tiny computer pixels? How genius!

[Edited on 9-30-2013 by Ateo]

Mula - 9-29-2013 at 06:35 PM

I guess, maybe start by telling us about yours.. . . ..Ateo

acadist - 9-29-2013 at 06:40 PM

Me doing my 'Naked Archeologist' pose (man I liked that show, wish it was still on) on one of my favorite spots to stop on the way south, turn off from hwy 1 when you can first see the Sea of Cortez. It is my tradition to always take a picture as we stop at this spot.

dtbushpilot - 9-29-2013 at 06:42 PM

Me before my surgery.....

vgabndo - 9-29-2013 at 07:46 PM

I bought it for my '78 Ford bubble top when it got me back from 8400 miles to Central America. You only got 7 letters back then.
Several vehicles have worn it since. I identify with marginally vagrant itinerancy. :coolup:

Paula - 9-29-2013 at 08:00 PM

I think that question mark where my psychedelic changing tile pattern used to be is suitable for now. I have a new one coming if I ever get around to making it fit here.

Howard - 9-29-2013 at 08:04 PM

If I knew how to post an avatar I would tell you about it.

toneart - 9-29-2013 at 08:56 PM

That is me playing my trumpet. It is a manipulated Polaroid. I use an old SX70 Polaroid Land Camera. I bought two of them at a flea market for $5 each. You can still buy the old SX70 film.The color photo comes out the bottom front of the camera. The photo is
3" X 3". Then you take it to a copy shop and blow it up to 8 X 8. You have about 15 minutes to push around the emulsion with a pointed utensil...maybe the end of a paint brush. I have been doing this for years. I once had a whole show of Costa Rican scenes and sold out.

Also, Toneart is a multiple play on words: Tony, my name; tone, pertaining to musical sound; and art, because I am also an artist, visual and literary.

[Edited on 10-3-2013 by toneart]

Ken Cooke - 9-29-2013 at 09:11 PM

My 4WD Baja Tour symbol.

elgatoloco - 9-29-2013 at 09:15 PM

When I was 12 years old I saw West Side Story and decided I would be a professional dancer if I ever grew up. Plus I always wanted to be a SUPER HERO so.........................:lol:

David K - 9-29-2013 at 09:40 PM

Happy sunshine... It was the closest to the one I had on Amigos de Baja, before that forum retired from the Internet in 2003. Doug (BajaNomad) found this one for me when I asked for something that looked like the previous one. Baja a land of sunshine and relaxing good times.

Ateo, please tell us about your pyramid one...

Ateo - 9-30-2013 at 07:34 AM

Very cool all............

I knew I'd learn a little more about you by hearing about your avatar choice.

Mine, is a cropped photo of a collage I made a few years ago. It may be hard to see as a tiny avatar but it contains a bunch of stuff I cut out from National Geographic and Surfers Journal articles. There is a beautiful woman laying on her back half nude holding her baby, a pyramid, Stonehenge, waves, birds, and a few odes to legendary surfers. I dig it.

Marinero - 9-30-2013 at 08:00 AM

Mine is borrowed, with permission, from USAfishing.com. They have a great website that reports on fishing of all sorts in many places. I just thought it was cool. Thanks for the permission, USAfishing.com.

pauldavidmena - 9-30-2013 at 08:25 AM

Mine is our dog Tito. We'd like to think he's smiling at the thought of his first visit to Baja.

durrelllrobert - 9-30-2013 at 08:26 AM

A 1935 Studebaker with Corvette suspension, disc brakes and running gear. It now belongs to a friend in Fallbrook, CA.

bajaguy - 9-30-2013 at 08:30 AM

<<<<<<< Life is Good in (the) Baja.....shared with my Yellow Labrador

Ateo - 9-30-2013 at 08:32 AM

Very cool responses all.............thanks, and keep them coming.

bajajudy - 9-30-2013 at 08:44 AM

Doug and Marv helped me with mine oh so many years ago.
Since I have lived in the tropics the majority of my adult life, I wanted something tropical.
I think it's cute

[Edited on 9-30-2013 by bajajudy]

bajamedic - 9-30-2013 at 08:47 AM

I loved the work portion of my life while working in Rural Emergency Medical Services. I am now retired and loving this season of my life. JH

redmesa - 9-30-2013 at 08:57 AM

Don Quixote, a dreamer tilting at windmills...

Mexitron - 9-30-2013 at 08:57 AM

Painting I did a while back...central Baja Pacific Coast.....shhhhhhh.

motoged - 9-30-2013 at 12:21 PM

Bahia de San Francisquito.....just the coolest place in Baja to sit and spend a week doing absolutely nothing.....

BigOly - 9-30-2013 at 01:18 PM

My avatar: I was birding alone up an arroyo outside L.B. The air was hot, not a sound to be heard. No wind. Walking with no particular direction, looking to see whatever I may find. I see this one single bush. Maybe I subconsciously heard something, I don't know, but I was drawn to this thorny, mess of desert fauna to find a Red-tailed Hawk running away from me up a little hill.

I look down to the ground where the hawk had come from and I'm overwhelmed by the sick sight of two Red-tailed Hawks lying there, beheaded with feet remove and it's fresh. I hear another hawk above me screeching, scolding me to go away.
Some person had recently mutilated these fantastic creatures for a trophy. I'll never forget this youngster looking at me as I took this shot. My avatar.

[Edited on 9-30-2013 by BigOly]

Ateo - 9-30-2013 at 01:23 PM

Interesting background on where these avatars came from. Thanks.

tripledigitken - 9-30-2013 at 01:30 PM

My current avatar is a photo I took in Loreto. Sitting on that bench on the malecon is a must do when we visit Loreto.

I occasionally change up the photos with others I have taken in Baja.

Ateo - 9-30-2013 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
My current avatar is a photo I took in Loreto. Sitting on that bench on the malecon is a must do when we visit Loreto.

I occasionally change up the photos with others I have taken in Baja.

Yeah, I also liked that avatar you had recently of a taco stand or something in black and white? Cool photos you have.

We could start an entire thread of that restaurant

tripledigitken - 9-30-2013 at 01:43 PM

Carmelita......RIP

Was being run by her son as recently as last Jan. when we were there. It is located by the Pemex in Jesus Maria.

[Edited on 9-30-2013 by tripledigitken]

ncampion - 9-30-2013 at 03:42 PM

This is me toasting a rising full moon with a cold Margarita from the upstairs balcony of our house just North of Loreto.

Taco de Baja - 9-30-2013 at 03:50 PM

A magical and secret location somewhere along a well known but unspoken strip of Baja coastline. :saint:

bajabuddha - 9-30-2013 at 05:30 PM

Like the other guy said, if i knew how to post one, i'd tell you about it. Went to the gig just like the 'help' section said, and there's "avatar url" spot. WTF is a url, (besides my second cousin twiced removed from my muther's side..."Ol' Url..." so how does one git one-o-them fayncy avatarios with only one star, anyways?

woody with a view - 9-30-2013 at 05:42 PM

my last name in chinese.

Ateo - 9-30-2013 at 05:43 PM

bajabuddha,

Let me first say I really like your addition to this site. You make the place a little more happier.

I too had issues putting an avatar up.

I think you need to upload a photo to Photobucket, then copy that URL code associated with that photo into the URL box on Nomads. Good luck.

acadist - 9-30-2013 at 09:11 PM

great thread, thanks Ateo!

Skipjack Joe - 9-30-2013 at 09:53 PM

Bajabudha, maybe Woody can lend you his.

Gaucho - 9-30-2013 at 10:15 PM

Leaving Catalina on my retired lifeguard boat.

David K - 9-30-2013 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Like the other guy said, if i knew how to post one, i'd tell you about it. Went to the gig just like the 'help' section said, and there's "avatar url" spot. WTF is a url, (besides my second cousin twiced removed from my muther's side..."Ol' Url..." so how does one git one-o-them fayncy avatarios with only one star, anyways?

Don't worry, we are here to help (well some of us, anyway)!

A URL is a web address (begins with http://) that works as a link to something on the Internet (or World Wide Web... www).

Photobucket.com is a popular free photo hosting site... That's how many of us share photos here on Nomad... and several have taken the time to upload photos at or below the requested 800 pixel wide size of Nomad. Those who don't cause the page and text to go wide off the monitor for Nomads with standard computer monitor screens.

The avatar must actually be much smaller, so upload yours at the 100x75 pixel size choice.

Here is what you will see in the FAQ link at the top of Nomad:

>>>How do I get my own picture (avatar) under my name?
Again in your profile there is a place for an 'Avatar' and avatar is the image under your name. Check with your Admin about the size of your avatar, it's usually considered common courtesy to use one under 150 pixels wide.<<<

So upload a photo or logo at 100x75 pixels to your Photobucket album, then paste its URL in the place for avatars in your profile section of your control panel... The control panel is in the upper right corner of the Nomad page and it is in blue... Just click on it!

===================================================

If you haven't seen the how to post a photo yet, here are the steps:

Here are the steps to post photos... just follow the steps:

1) Make an album on Photobucket.com for the subject or group of photos... or just to put photos you want to share on Nomad and other forums.

2) Set the size of the photos (does not reduce the quality) to fit here by clicking on your account name at the top of the Photobucket page.

3) Click on User Settings.

4) Click on Albums (top of page).

5) Scroll down and see Upload Options and just below that is 'Customize Upload Options', click on that.

6) Click 800 x 600 for maps or max. size to fill the Nomad page or click 640 x 480 for large size photos that don't fill the page. Avatars are 100 x 75 pixels. Nomad is an 800 pixel wide frame, and if you don't resize to 800 or less, the entire page will stretch off the standard monitor and require sideways scrolling. You only need to do this step once or if you wish to change it.

7) Click SAVE.

8) Click on the big 'Upload' box at the top center of the Photobucket page and simply select the photos you want from your PC folder.

These are now photos for Internet sharing on forums, like Baja Nomad, Talk Baja, Tacoma World, etc. You still have your original photos in your PC folder, untouched.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To show your photos on a Nomad page:

1) Place your mouse on the thumbnail photo in your Photobucket album and select the IMG link of the links box that pops up or is already there, copy that IMG link with your mouse (left click, right click, click copy).

2) On your Nomad post, paste the photo link by right clicking your mouse, and click paste.

Add a caption below the photo if desired and double space between photo links so there is a separation between them.

[Edited on 10-1-2013 by David K]

bajadogs - 9-30-2013 at 10:28 PM

I thought you needed 50 posts before you get the option to add an avatar.

Mine is just a stray dog from Ensenada. She blinks. :D

EDIT - According to a 2009 post by Doug, it takes 25 posts before the avatar option becomes available.

[Edited on 10-1-2013 by bajadogs]

BajaParrothead - 9-30-2013 at 11:11 PM

Went fishing with Lavo from Hotel Pescadores in Los Barriles and this guy jumped on a marlin jig. My biggest to date and he made a few servings of ceviche. Fresh ceviche and an ice cold Pacifico..........:yes:

Frank - 9-30-2013 at 11:48 PM

My avatar is of my youngest son, Nate. He fell asleep watching for billfish in the spread while we were fishing in Los Barriles. He is now 19 and in college.

CortezBlue - 10-1-2013 at 08:48 AM

Simple, I am a history nut and I have focused my studies, basically, 1865-Current.

I CAN'T STAND all of the Che shirts, books, paintings etc., while traveling around Mexico and even ocassionally here in the USA. Che, by far was the master mind behind the Cuban Revolution and Fidel was the face. If Che would have had his way he would have over thrown all of Latin America with his Marxist philosophy.

I am also a 3 Stooges fan. So, when I saw the mix of both, it made a perfect statement.

SORTANTLY!!!!:biggrin:

[Edited on 10-1-2013 by CortezBlue]

Oggie - 10-1-2013 at 08:55 AM

This is my favorite dream. Diane and I on our boat on Bahia de los Angeles.

bajabuddha - 10-1-2013 at 08:58 AM

Muchas Garcias for the avatar info from everyone. Now i just gotta find a guud-un...
bb

MMc - 10-1-2013 at 12:30 PM

Your last name is Big wave? Cooool.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
my last name in chinese.

bajacalifornian - 10-1-2013 at 12:54 PM

CortezBlue . . . that clears up one of my favorite

24baja - 10-1-2013 at 02:23 PM

This is the view from our veranda in Bahia De Los Angeles, we love mornings in BOLA! Ah lets be real.....We love everything in BOLA!

grace59 - 10-1-2013 at 06:56 PM

My Avatar...or lack thereof...proves that I am not at all tech savvy!!! But as soon as I have time and find a fitting Avatar I will try to follow David K's directions and post an Avatar. Wish me luck!

woody with a view - 10-1-2013 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Your last name is Big wave? Cooool.

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
my last name in chinese.

well, no. but i've had my share....

DK said "Don't worry, we are here to help (well some of us, anyway)!" what does that even mean? another pity party in the making.....:lol:

bajabuddha - 10-2-2013 at 11:39 AM

i THINK i may have it right, let's see if all the hard work paid off.... IF it comes up, this is an old canvas tarp i've had since the late '70s i use just for fun. Most gringos haven't a clue, and the locals laugh their arses off, with many a picture taken. I've heard it's posted on facebook and youtube, i wouldn't know. The translation is up to you...

Post-script, AW SHUCKS, it didn't work anyway. Sowwy.

[Edited on 10-2-2013 by bajabuddha]

Loretana - 10-2-2013 at 11:59 AM

My avatar celebrates a perfect day in paradise, fishing yellowtail at the San Bruno seamount on the panga "Lorena", with my favorite Capitan, in my matching blue warm-up suit...... ahhhhhh, I LOVE LORETO!

Hooker33 - 10-2-2013 at 05:46 PM

My Avatar is the vehicle the U.S. Army allowed me to pilot for many years and in lots of places, some not so great.

fixtrauma - 10-2-2013 at 06:53 PM

The polka-dot tree along the malecón in La Paz represents many good memories. Every time we visit La Paz we walk the malecón at least one evening. Of course it is located right next to La Fuente where you can find a great choice of Paletas.

We have taken many many pictures with friends that had come to visit in La Paz. Of course we always take them there.

durrelllrobert - 10-2-2013 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooker33
My Avatar is the vehicle the U.S. Army allowed me to pilot for many years and in lots of places, some not so great.

Avatar not showing now even when you click "show picture". Just an X in it's place.

Tbone - 10-3-2013 at 10:38 AM

What was the question again?

Udo - 10-3-2013 at 11:02 AM

The old Nomad, Grover, helped me post mine. I was still (as I am now, also), a neophyte with computers and posting. I'm getting better, and still occasionally need posting help, which Doug has been so kind to help.

After several tries at posting my current avatar (I used the settings in my profile edit), I managed to post one that shows both my personality and what I look like, so no one is surprised by a stranger when I come by to visit them in Baja. The advantage of having one's avatar posted is that when attending Nomad functions, quite a number of people recognize me and stop by to say hello.

bajabuddha - 10-3-2013 at 01:09 PM

TA-DAAA!!! (I hope)

Udo, it only took me 3 days of trying everything i was told by folks on the site, just got lucky finally. I can walk by an electronic gizmo (especially 'puters) and they'll glitch out. Once i hit 'post', we'll see.......

David K - 10-3-2013 at 04:22 PM

The Home of Happy Farts? :lol:

bajabuddha - 10-3-2013 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The Home of Happy Farts? :lol:

AND, they don't STINK!! ('Y NO PESTA' and yes, i goofed... should be Y NO A PESTAN but tuff ta ta)

David K - 10-4-2013 at 08:16 AM

Maybe it reads... "and they don't make YOU stink!" ?

:biggrin:

Leo - 10-4-2013 at 09:23 AM

Usually I am happy when on this website, either thinking about Baja, or can't wait to be there which is expressed in my avatar.
Looks like a late arrival this winter, but then, going a month through Indochina first is also nice to look forward to. One has to keep working on that bucket list and spend time in Baja. Though life!