BajaNomad

Happy Hour in LaBocana,BCS at the new restaurant

BajaBlanca - 10-8-2013 at 01:44 PM

This new restaurant is located right at the entrance to the estero....the view is awesome, the margaritas are awesome and reasonable at 50 pesos, the cheeseburgers are remarkably good...so,we have started our very own Saturday 4pm Happy Hour:

the enticement

the bartender, Jorge:

the view if you ask them to put the tables out on the varanda:

the front door:

[Edited on 10-8-2013 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by BajaBlanca]

BajaBlanca - 10-8-2013 at 01:54 PM

and now for some pics of the locals/guests enjoying our new place:

two pilots who came to fish: Mike brought Jorge the mangoes and he made us mango margaritas ..... really good:

Gary, our neighbor:

Derek, Joaquin and Derek's dad:

Larry and Caroline from Cabo who come every year:

[Edited on 10-8-2013 by BajaBlanca]

willardguy - 10-8-2013 at 01:59 PM

cant wait to give it a test drive! are the log cabin cabana's up and running?:?:

woody with a view - 10-8-2013 at 02:20 PM

looks epic! hows the grub?

rts551 - 10-8-2013 at 02:31 PM

couple of weeks ago I tried their shrimp c-cktail and a Bloody Mary. Both were good.

msteve1014 - 10-8-2013 at 02:37 PM

Nice, they were just finishing up when I had to head home. Be back in a month or so.

DianaT - 10-8-2013 at 03:05 PM

OK, what are the hours and is it open everyday? I hope so as it looks like a place to try.

Ateo - 10-8-2013 at 04:31 PM

Is this down by the boat launch area that you took us to?

rts551 - 10-8-2013 at 04:33 PM

down by the boat launch area and open for Breakfast lunch and dinner, 7 days a week, at least for now (unless that has already changed).

David K - 10-8-2013 at 05:18 PM

Wow, great... I hope he can stay in business... I want to try it... and that may not be for another year or three!

churro - 10-8-2013 at 08:31 PM

Very nice! Hope to stop in and give them a try!

aguachico - 10-9-2013 at 04:59 AM

Nice Blanca;

what are they catching? no real reports out of LB for a while.

BajaBlanca - 10-9-2013 at 10:40 AM

No real fish to talk about....so no fish stories.....small dorado and YT

Ralph is spot on, open every day for all meals. I forewarn that the chef is young and fresh out of school, her meals are excellent but they are so slow...so so soooooo slow. Ask for a drink and ask for totopos.
You're gonna need 'em. Average breakfast is 50 pesos, average lunch, dinner is 80 pesos. Hours are 9:00 to 8:00, 365 days, and bar open til last person leaves. Nice big TVs inside on 2 walls, so you can watch sports.

The grub is really good, the cheeseburgers are the best I have eaten and I am a diehard fan of Hodad's in OB, famous for their burgers.

BajaBlanca - 10-11-2013 at 06:14 PM

So, the happy hour is on again for this Saturday Oct 12!

Here is a picture of the delicious cheeseburger:

dtutko1 - 10-12-2013 at 07:09 AM

4pm happy hour??? It's a slippery slope.

woody with a view - 10-12-2013 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
the cheeseburgers are the best I have eaten and I am a diehard fan of Hodad's in OB, famous for their burgers.

well, if you MUST KNOW, Boll Weevil HAD the best burger in OB but now that they went extinct HODAD'S rules the beach!!!

acadist - 10-12-2013 at 08:54 PM

Looks good, man Woody, I forgot about Boll Weevil. Loved that place

ncampion - 10-13-2013 at 06:53 AM

Is Boll Weevil in San Diego still open - the one on Shelter Island?

woody with a view - 10-13-2013 at 07:05 AM

i don't think so. it was there so long that i'm not really sure if it is gone though! there are a few still around SD.

my wife can't get over the fact they named a restaraunt after a bug.

bajajurel - 10-13-2013 at 08:44 AM

Great looking place. A nice place to relax and unwind from a hard day of retirement in LB.

BajaBlanca - 10-13-2013 at 01:08 PM

You got it bajajurel! It was awesome yesterday .... Each week a different group makes for super conversations. Chris taught Jorge, the new bartender, how to make Cadillacs ....I did not have the courage to try one, I heard they were Extra strong.

Carlos and Krystina starting off their vacation:

Les on the right looking pretty serious about his empty drink:

On the far right is Scott, who has a shop set up in his house selling all sorts of fishing gear and Kim, his wife, talking to Krystina:

That was last night .... who knows who will be here next Saturday???

[Edited on 10-13-2013 by BajaBlanca]

BajaBlanca - 11-9-2013 at 04:51 PM

this was today's cheeseburger. this and 2 lemonades = $100 pesos

and these are the new outside tables which all the gringos have requested since it is sooooo nice to sit in the cool breeze

chavycha - 2-10-2014 at 09:53 PM

Jorge, the bartender pictured in the first photo, is pretty great. Ask him how he learned his English!

The food here was reasonably priced and well worth it - we got, given the location, predictably good shrimp tacos, and a surprisingly good chicken milanesa. Stylewise I haven't seen that sort of milanesa before, but it was a a dead ringer for italian chicken parmesan, both in terms of preparation and taste. Yum!

churro - 2-10-2014 at 10:00 PM

Had breakfast there last month... Great food! Amazing view of the bay

DawnPatrol - 2-11-2014 at 02:34 PM

We stayed in the cabins right after they opened....
they are really nice and the guys in charge of them are very accomodating
Looking closer at their construction one may wonder how many usable years of service they will get out of them... but that being said they were very good! I think we were one of the first ever guests...

The lady chef is also very good, but not real quick.. but that leaves ample time to sample happy hour. The food is delicious, and very reasonable.

Would I ever go back? YES, in a heartbeat....

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2014 at 07:01 PM

If you guys are staying at the cabanas and not stopping by to say hello, my feelings are hurt!!!!!!! I will only forgive you if you have no clue who I am (((:

Dawn Patrol is spot on, chef is not fast but definitely faster than day 1. Trust me on that. and the drinks are a good way to pass the time.

We still go whenever anyone comes to town but it has been too cold for the outside happy hour. Which has to be early since it gets dark at 6 pm and none of us want to be driving at night. And good Brazilian that I am, I have to be home for the 7pm novella ... it's a latin thing.

Udo - 2-12-2014 at 06:16 PM

New chefs are always slooowww!
They are picky on how their food is prepared. Later in life as chefs, they learn how food timing works.

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol
The lady chef is also very good, but not real quick.. but that leaves ample time to sample happy hour. The food is delicious, and very reasonable.

rts551 - 2-12-2014 at 07:56 PM

Lupita, the chef, takes her time preparing the dishes....each one to order....no mass cooking here. I think the slow kitchens are normal in Baja and am personally used to it (within reason).

Fishin Rich and I went there last week. He said the cheese burger was delicious.
I had the scallops. They were good. Another member of our party had the lobster.

Ateo - 2-12-2014 at 08:08 PM

Damn. That hamburger looks good. I'm starving.

John M - 2-13-2014 at 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
This new restaurant is located right at the entrance to the estero....the view is awesome,

BajaBlanca - for the unknowing could you pinpoint the location - is that north of Punta Abreojos?

Thanks

BajaBlanca - 2-13-2014 at 07:39 AM

We are 10 miles north of Punta Abreojos. Once in Abreojos, turn right at Miguel Dominguez, where the brand new beautiful town hall is. Follow the salt flats and you will end up in La Bocana and it truly is a fact that all the paths lead to Rome. The cabanas restaurant is where the boats are launched....look for the baseball stadiums, go past them towards the beach. Head right once near the water and buen provecho!

chuckie - 2-13-2014 at 09:57 AM

Eight bucks for a hamburger...We need a McDonalds..

BajaBlanca - 2-13-2014 at 02:49 PM

I know, chuckie, not inexpensive by any means ..... being that it is the ONLY option most of the time since the other eateries are closed for any number of reasons, I will take the prices with a smile (((:

now....the margaritas are 50 pesos and that is good! They started out at 80 and we convinced them to lower the price.

Hook - 2-13-2014 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Eight bucks for a hamburger...We need a McDonalds..

You could always drive to La Paz if you've just gotta have a hamburger that ghastly.

Limonadas could be 10-15 pesos each. That brings it down to 70-80 pesos for the burger. With fries. It's 13/1 everywhere now. That's 5.50-6 bucks for a grande burger and fries, with an ocean view in a location that's 60 miles off the Transpeninsular.

What's so unreasonable about that?