BajaNomad

Beach Bob in San Diego VFW Hospital

Bedman - 10-13-2013 at 11:50 PM

I wish I had more news. One of my friends, a resident at camp gecko had his wife call me today and told me that he was bringing beach Bob from the bay to the San Diego VFW Hospital. I will post more information as I receive it.

Steve

David K - 10-14-2013 at 12:44 AM

Thank you Steve... we sure hope Bob recovers fully!

Bwana_John - 10-14-2013 at 08:51 AM

VFW = Veterans of Foreign Wars... eez not a gang, eez a club.

VA = US Department of Veterans Affairs... the nation's largest integrated health care system, with more than 1,700 hospitals, clinics, domiciliaries, and other facilities.

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2013 at 11:07 AM

hoping for a speedy recovery !

DENNIS - 10-14-2013 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you Steve... we sure hope Bob recovers fully!

Recovers from what?

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2013 at 11:21 AM

bedman - if you go to EDIT on your original post, you can correct the headline to read VA hospital.

DENNIS - 10-14-2013 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
bedman - if you go to EDIT on your original post, you can correct the headline to read VA hospital.

I think everybody knows what he meant.

willardguy - 10-14-2013 at 12:15 PM

SD VA hospital is a great facility, hope they fix up whatever is the problem.:yes:

comitan - 10-14-2013 at 12:22 PM

VA Hospital La Jolla and yes it is a fine hospital actually the very best.

Martyman - 10-14-2013 at 03:30 PM

I saw him a few days back. Please keep us posted on his condition. Thanks

Bedman - 10-15-2013 at 01:05 PM

Sorry about the VFW VA mix up.

The VA hospital couldnt find his records and denied him entry. with that said my good friend (I havent given his name because Im not sure he wants to be identified?) drove directly to UCSD Thornton hospital and they admitted him into the ER he was so bad. Hi liver and kidneys arent doing well. he spent the night in the er and then today they put him into room 1138 in the 11 west building at UCSD Hillcrest. when I called this am he was so weak he could only say a few words and then was tired. The Drs were getting ready to do a biopsy of his liver. I'm sure you can send flowers or cards but, I dont think hes ready or able for visitors.

Bedman

willardguy - 10-15-2013 at 01:30 PM

The VA hospital couldnt find his records and denied him entry.

wow that doesnt sound to reassuring!:o but glad he's getting help and hopefully back on the beach soon!

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman

He must have not registered himself there in the past.
Is he in fact a vet? Is there something.....DD-214 or a discharge in his paperwork?

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
To deny him care as every civilian emergency room always has, because they couldn't find the records, is shameful.

Let's not be jumping to conclusions here.

DianaT - 10-15-2013 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

wow that doesnt sound to reassuring!:o but glad he's getting help and hopefully back on the beach soon!

Let's hope the government doesn't take over the other hospital before Bob or any of us need it! To deny him care as every civilian emergency room always has, because they couldn't find the records, is shameful.

Hardly the time to try and turn something political. Really very poor taste. :no:

I hope his paperwork is straightened out, his biopsy is negative, and that he is on the road to recovery.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch

Bob never once told me every civilian ER has denied him care..... and Bob is not shy about stories......

Is Bob a vet?

comitan - 10-15-2013 at 03:19 PM

The first time I went to that hospital I was not registered but did have MY dd-214. if don't have the required info you should not blame the Hospital.:o:o

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Bob never once told me every civilian ER has denied him care..... and Bob is not shy about stories......

OK, Frank. Then I'm left wondering if Bob ever mentioned being a qualified Vet.
Do you have any idea?

rts551 - 10-15-2013 at 03:32 PM

DK, jump to conclusions without fact? Surely you jest.

David K - 10-15-2013 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
To deny him care as every civilian emergency room always has, because they couldn't find the records, is shameful.

Let's not be jumping to conclusions here.

Sorry, that didn't print the way I was wanting it to say... The VA denied him care so he went to a civilian hospital which always has treated people in the ER. Treat first, find records figure payment later.

Beach Bob is a friend... it was a while back but I camped on his front yard instead of Gecko's one time and we had a nice visit and dinner at Las Hamacas. We visited him when we camped at Gecko many times and he was always nice to my kids, too.

I wish him well...

rts551 - 10-15-2013 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

I know you have selective reading issues, but I was responding to what willardguy posted (see above), no conclusions just some emotion about an amigo who could use prayers, not debate over government control of our life.

I wish him well. You should think before you "print"

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
I don't remember stories about being a vet but I remember plenty of stories about working in the defense industry.
Seems like a career path many vets take, though.

By all reports about Bob, he wasn't shy about much. I would imagine someone recalling his mention of a military experience in his storied past had he had one.

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by DENNIS]

monoloco - 10-15-2013 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

I know you have selective reading issues, but I was responding to what willardguy posted (see above), no conclusions just some emotion about an amigo who could use prayers, not debate over government control of our life.
At the risk of a small hijack here, I'd like to point out that the care patients receive thru the VA rates consistently higher than care received in private facilities. http://www.rand.org/blog/2012/08/socialized-or-not-we-can-le... Seems like that would lead one to believe that a single payer system would be better.

Bedman - 10-16-2013 at 04:51 PM

As of this writing beach Bob is now on a ventilator and in ICU. He's nonresponsive and it seems that his body is shutting down.

My Hopes and Prayers for him

DENNIS - 10-16-2013 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
As of this writing beach Bob is now on a ventilator and in ICU. He's nonresponsive and it seems that his body is shutting down.

My Hopes and Prayers for him

Bon Voyage, Bob. See you soon enough. RIP, amigo.

Santiago - 10-16-2013 at 06:01 PM

Damn....Damn.....

Bob H - 10-16-2013 at 06:19 PM

Oh my.... was reading through this thread and then.... damn. RIP Bob!

David K - 10-16-2013 at 06:41 PM

So sad... I know Bob had lot's of friends and lot's of fun living on the beach next to Camp Gecko...

I think Beach Bob will give it a good fight to survive... one of my favorite photos of him was taken by Bedman at a New Years Dinner Party... Happy 2002:

Living Life with the give 'em hell spirit, Beach Bob!

Beach Bob's Beach House:

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by David K]

rts551 - 10-16-2013 at 06:50 PM

RIP. Alcohol in one hand and a smoke in the other. Guess he did not take the Nomad longevity test. Once your liver shuts down, its a matter of time, and a short amount of time at that. Again RIP.

libby - 10-17-2013 at 10:55 AM

love you roberto

bajajudy - 10-17-2013 at 11:12 AM

Am I missing something?
Did he pass away?
I sure hope not.

BajaRat - 10-17-2013 at 04:04 PM

By the looks of his home he must have been having quite a life. Vent and ICU don't sound good :no:

Bedman - 10-18-2013 at 11:05 AM

The latest info on Beach Bob

Update on Bob, l talked to the ICU unit today and was told that Bob is not responding to any treatments, is completely non responsive and not expected to make it to Sunday. We will miss him.

MMc - 10-18-2013 at 11:18 AM

Love a man that lives life on his terms. I hope things, turn around for Bob is/was a trip. glad I spent time with him.

capt. mike - 10-18-2013 at 02:27 PM

Many years ago i flew Bob's ex wife to BOLA from PHX where she connected so she could visit for 2 weeks. Then i went and brought her back. Bob gave me some of his smoked YT. Man - was that good!

you had a life only a few can do - you did it your way Bob.

woody with a view - 10-18-2013 at 05:57 PM

Death must wait until a warrior goes to his place to die.

Right now Bob is revisiting the struggles of his warrior life, both good and bad. This memory is like a dance that Bob's soul performs while recounting his battles and takes place in a location where the warrior chooses during his lifetime, where the warrior wants this epic battle to be waged. That place can only be known to the warrior. The stronger the warrior the longer that death must waits. The warrior must sing and cry as he dances for his life while recounting both the tragic and the joyous moments that made up his short time on this incredible world, in this marvelous time! I know Bob has a good long dance.

We are all Warriors!

This is Why I Love the Baja Nomad Community

Gypsy Jan - 10-18-2013 at 06:06 PM

Connections in such a very human way.

Because of the Nomads who knew him and valued him, he is remembered by friends - that is truly a way to be.

Vaya con Dios, amigo.

GJ

24baja - 10-18-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Death must wait until a warrior goes to his place to die.

Right now Bob is revisiting the struggles of his warrior life, both good and bad. This memory is like a dance that Bob's soul performs while recounting his battles and takes place in a location where the warrior chooses during his lifetime, where the warrior wants this epic battle to be waged. That place can only be known to the warrior. The stronger the warrior the longer that death must waits. The warrior must sing and cry as he dances for his life while recounting both the tragic and the joyous moments that made up his short time on this incredible world, in this
marvelous time! I know Bob has a good long dance.

We are all Warriors!

This is a beautiful sentiment. Thanks for sharing it.

CaboMagic - 10-19-2013 at 09:53 AM

GJan - although we are not acquainted w/many on Nomads, we still feel a kinship to all/most - perhaps due to the longevity of participation. The sentiments expressed are often so eloquent I am moved deeply - this thread example.

I don't know now to insert others posts, WOW woody I read and re-read yours several times and it made me think about all those in our life now who are struggling with various health issues - girlfriends with stage 4 cancer, mother with assortment of ills, and thought about numerous loved ones, family members, friends who have passed in the last few years and considered their warrior dances. Very touching.

Today we honor everyone - those still with us, and those who have moved on to the ultimate place of peace.

Bedman - 10-19-2013 at 12:10 PM

Bob's good friend and the man responsible for getting Bpb to the stAtes and in the hospitable sent me this email this morning." I spoke to his nurse this morning and the Hospital has decided it is time to take him off the life support system today and he is expected to pass very quickly"

Steve

DENNIS - 10-19-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Bob's good friend and the man responsible for getting Bpb to the stAtes and in the hospitable sent me this email this morning." I spoke to his nurse this morning and the Hospital has decided it is time to take him off the life support system today and he is expected to pass very quickly"..Steve

Thanks for staying on top of this and keeping us posted, Steve. This is really turning into a day of tragedy.

David K - 10-19-2013 at 12:33 PM

Vaya con Dios Bob... it was a pleasure to know you!

55steve - 10-19-2013 at 04:35 PM

Thanks for the info Steve - Cameo just called me and said Bob passed around 1:00 pm today.

Not sure what the plans are but Kate & Cameo are trying to figure things out - I will post info as it comes my way.

I'm thinking a Gecko & friends get-together over Christmas/New Years will be happening.

woody with a view - 10-19-2013 at 04:50 PM

chitty news for sure!

BajaRat - 10-19-2013 at 05:39 PM

RIP

Santiago - 10-19-2013 at 07:42 PM

Camp is quiet tonight, we are somber. Really not a tequila drinker myself, but went over to Bob's and poured two. Had to drink them both, and believe me, that's never happened before. Cried like a baby. Gecko's just not going to be the same......

rts551 - 10-19-2013 at 08:00 PM

RIP. Met Bob at one of our many races there. Go in peace my friend.

Paulina - 10-19-2013 at 08:11 PM

Saludos Roberto.

I imagine Shadow and Sasha were waiting for you at the gate.

"...and remember, there is always a cold Pacifico waiting with your name on it. BB"

As always,
P>*)))>{

[Edited on 20-10-2013 by Paulina]

elgatoloco - 10-19-2013 at 09:54 PM

We only got to hang with Beach Bob a handful of times. He was always a gracious host and we had a lot of laughs around the campfire talking story. He was one of a kind and definitely lived life on his terms. RIP.

Thanks,,,,I agree,,,Amen !!

captkw - 10-19-2013 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
GJan - although we are not acquainted w/many on Nomads, we still feel a kinship to all/most - perhaps due to the longevity of participation. The sentiments expressed are often so eloquent I am moved deeply - this thread example.

I don't know now to insert others posts, WOW woody I read and re-read yours several times and it made me think about all those in our life now who are struggling with various health issues - girlfriends with stage 4 cancer, mother with assortment of ills, and thought about numerous loved ones, family members, friends who have passed in the last few years and considered their warrior dances. Very touching.

Today we honor everyone - those still with us, and those who have moved on to the ultimate place of peace.

bajadogs - 10-19-2013 at 10:11 PM

This hurts.

Tears dropping here. I had great times with the man.

Santiago - 10-20-2013 at 05:43 AM

[img][/img]

Santiago - 10-20-2013 at 05:47 AM

[img]http://[/img]

larryC - 10-20-2013 at 07:26 AM

Bob will be missed. Libby and Pete are planning a celebration of life for Bob soon, just waiting for bedman and Malcolm to get back. DEP Bob.
Larry

4baja - 10-20-2013 at 02:44 PM

RIP old buddy!!! all us guys on the south side of gecko will miss you.

EnsenadaDr - 10-20-2013 at 02:52 PM

The VA never has a bed available even for bonified Veterans...as per a representative of Sharp Healthcare I spoke with last week.
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

Desertbull - 10-20-2013 at 08:08 PM

I stopped by in early summer and he was cheery and full of Baja Pizazz.

RIP amigo.

Bob lived a life that many people can only dream about...he was never short of words when I drove up to his castle.

Vaya con Dios Beach Bob thanks for all the memories!

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull

Bob lived a life that many people can only dream about...

Can anyone here give us the short version [or the long one] of Bob's history? I've never heard anything, but I didn't know him.
Anyone??

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
The VA never has a bed available even for bonified Veterans...as per a representative of Sharp Healthcare I spoke with last week.[quote

Absolute, scandalous nonsense.

bajaguy - 10-20-2013 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The VA never has a bed available even for bonified Veterans...as per a representative of Sharp Healthcare I spoke with last week.[quote

What the Sharp Hospital representative said to me was that if a veteran (or Kaiser insured) is brought to Sharp in an emergency status, or if Sharp arranges for transportation of a veteran (or Kaiser insured) across the border, Sharp would call the VA (Kaiser) and inform them (VA or Kaiser) of the incoming patient.....the VA (Kaiser) would either accept the patient, or if no beds were available at the VA (Kaiser), the VA (Kaiser) would authorize Sharp to admit the patient.

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

What the Sharp Hospital representative said to me was that if a veteran (or Kaiser insured) is brought to Sharp in an emergency status, or if Sharp arranges for transportation of a veteran (or Kaiser insured) across the border, Sharp would call the VA (Kaiser) and inform them (VA or Kaiser) of the incoming patient.....the VA (Kaiser) would either accept the patient, or if no beds were available at the VA (Kaiser), the VA (Kaiser) would authorize Sharp to admit the patient.

huh?????????

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
or if Sharp arranges for transportation of a veteran (or Kaiser insured) across the border,

Need some clarification on this point.

Does this mean from the border to the hospital?
My experience was to pay for an ambulance from Ensenada through the border, and be transferred there to a paramedic ambulance to Kaiser.
I paid for the Mex ambulance, $1600 dollars, as well as a nominal co-pay for the paramedics. They billed me later.

bajaguy - 10-20-2013 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

huh?????????

OK, I'll make it simple.

If Sharp takes in a veteran in an emergency, Sharp calls the VA for a transfer. If the VA does not have bed space, the VA will authorize Sharp to keep and treat the veteran.

Same applies to Kaiser patients

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 09:43 PM

Quote:

OK, I'll make it simple.

If Sharp takes in a veteran in an emergency, Sharp calls the VA for a transfer. If the VA does not have bed space, the VA will authorize Sharp to keep and treat the veteran.

Same applies to Kaiser patients

Thas betta. GrassyAss

bajaguy - 10-20-2013 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
or if Sharp arranges for transportation of a veteran (or Kaiser insured) across the border,

My experience was to pay for an ambulance from Ensenada through the border, and be transferred there to a paramedic ambulance to Kaiser.
I paid for the Mex ambulance, $1600 dollars, as well as a nominal co-pay for the paramedics. They billed me later.

What you said..........

Sharp can and does assist in getting patients from Ensenada to the border (by using Dynamed I believe). You pay for the Mexican ambulance out of pocket (which may be reimbursable from your insurance carrier in an "emergency").

Sharp will also have a US ambulance meet the Mexican Ambulance at the border and take the patient to whatever hospital is required (VA, Kaiser, Sharp or whatever).

You should really attend the presentations by Sharp at the San Nicholas....they don't sell anything and you get breakfast out of the deal.

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
You should really attend the presentations by Sharp at the San Nicholas....they don't sell anything and you get breakfast out of the deal.

Plus...they have a casino. What could be more fun.
"Save your assss while you lose your assss."

bajaguy - 10-20-2013 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Plus...they have a casino. What could be more fun.
"Save your assss while you lose your assss."

Actually, the breakfast was quite good and the presentations are educational

EnsenadaDr - 10-20-2013 at 10:02 PM

You know what BajaGuy I went to a presentation about Medicare in Mexico at Bella Vista across from Real del Mar this past Friday. They had a guy there from Washington DC who is an attorney who is being lobbied by some Mexican officials to get Medicare accepted in a wider plan in Mexico. From what I was told by him at the meeting, Medicare part A does NOT reimburse hospital emergency visits or stays in Mexico, only Medigap insurance does. There is no way you will get reimbursed for an ambulance ride from Medicare. I was also pleasantly surprised to meet Esteban Calabasas in person at the Sharp Breakfast!!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What you said..........

Sharp can and does assist in getting patients from Ensenada to the border (by using Dynamed I believe). You pay for the Mexican ambulance out of pocket (which may be reimbursable from your insurance carrier in an "emergency").

Sharp will also have a US ambulance meet the Mexican Ambulance at the border and take the patient to whatever hospital is required (VA, Kaiser, Sharp or whatever).

[Edited on 10-21-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

EnsenadaDr - 10-20-2013 at 10:12 PM

When I worked for Kaiser, and we needed a bed for a VA patient, it was almost impossible to get one. They almost always subcontract out for a bed from the hosting hospital.
Quote:
Quote:

bajaguy - 10-20-2013 at 10:20 PM

Various medigap supplement policies will cover emergencies outside of the US on a reimbursement basis, specifically Plan "F" and I believe plan "N". There are also some private insurance plans that will cover emergencies out of the US..........and that is why I have evacuation insurance through Med-Ex and SPOT.

I also believe Dynamed ambulance said that they would now bill US insurance carriers and accept payment assignments for emergency transportation......although by then I was on my fourth cup of coffee :lol:

Quote:
You know what BajaGuy I went to a presentation about Medicare in Mexico at Bella Vista across from Real del Mar this past Friday. They had a guy there from Washington DC who is an attorney who is being lobbied by some Mexican officials to get Medicare accepted in a wider plan in Mexico. From what I was told by him at the meeting, Medicare part A does NOT reimburse hospital emergency visits or stays in Mexico, only Medigap insurance does. There is no way you will get reimbursed for an ambulance ride from Medicare. I was also pleasantly surprised to meet Esteban Calabasas in person at the Sharp Breakfast!!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What you said..........

[Edited on 10-21-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

Martyman - 10-21-2013 at 09:17 AM

C'mon guys...this is about Bob not your f-ing hospital politics. Jeez... have a little respect!

Doug/Vamonos - 10-21-2013 at 09:21 PM

I second Martyman. This is about Bob not about your politics. I'll share a nice story. A few years ago I was in a bad car accident leaving the Bay. I had my two dogs with me. One was nearly killed. I made it back to Gecko and Bob was the only other person there. I was messed up and my dog Moby was nearly dead. Bob came to my rescue. He loaned me 1,000 pesos for traveling money and drove me to the highway the next day to catch a bus home. Then for the next three days...in the middle of August...in my camper without a/c...Bob fed my dog chicken broth through a syringe to keep him alive till I could return. When I made it back to camp Bob looked me in the eyes and said he hadn't had a drink in three days and I believed him. Moby lived two more years and several more trips to the bay. Think about that...for three days Bob bent down in my trailer to squirt broth in my dog's mouth. Amazing! My wife and I will love him forever for that. A great guy.

DENNIS - 10-22-2013 at 06:00 AM

Thanks, Doug. Nice, touching story.

David K - 10-22-2013 at 10:27 AM

Indeed! Thanks!!

Santiago - 11-5-2013 at 07:14 AM

On my Facebook page I got this message: "Today is Beach Bob's Birthday"

55steve - 11-5-2013 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
On my Facebook page I got this message: "Today is Beach Bob's Birthday"

Yep, me too...

Baja Bernie - 11-6-2013 at 08:03 PM

Jaime here
lets hope he gets out of the VA fast...and gets into his favorite VFW building!
speedy recovery

DENNIS - 11-6-2013 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Jaime here
lets hope he gets out of the VA fast...and gets into his favorite VFW building!
speedy recovery

He'll appreciate the sentiment. :saint: