BajaNomad

petes poker run and trip to tinaja de yubay

honda tom - 10-14-2013 at 09:00 AM

went down for the poker run last week and a run to BOLA.
through Calamuje (light on water and smooth). headed in to Tinaja de Yubay using DK's notes. Very nice short sidetrip. A new road about 3 miles in threw us off course for about 15 minutes, its not listed on the notes, but it is a Y with the wrong road being very well rode in. Stayed in BOLA at camp Echelon on the beach. On the way north back through Calamuje, we decided to go out to the fishing village of Calamuje. Very fast road for some 20 miles to...... not much really. We were the only people there amongst the abandon homes and fish processing buildings. Very cool to walk through but kind of erie with the stories of drug trafficking that is supposed to be here. Back to SF for the poker run which once again was a blast. And the topper............ 645 AM Sunday....... less than 10 minutes at the Calexico crossing! No Sentri no Readylane. My all time best!

David K - 10-14-2013 at 09:08 AM

Nice run! Any clue on the purpose of the new road you saw going to Yubay? Price of gold is increasing the mining activity... and you pass withing 1/4 mile of El Desengaño going to Yubay, a gold mine from less than 100 years ago.

Arroyo Calamajue had very little water in 2012, as well. So Puerto de Calamajue was deserted?

Thanks Tom... any photos?
1975 Map:

1962 Map:

[Edited on 10-14-2013 by David K]

TMW - 10-14-2013 at 09:10 AM

Good to know about the road to Tinaja de Yubay. I haven't been to the Calamuje fish camp in several years but I'll be in the area next weekend.
Thanks for the info.

TMW - 10-14-2013 at 09:12 AM

I also heard they had about 325 entries in the Pete's Camp Poker run.

Neal Johns - 10-14-2013 at 03:17 PM

When I took Art (in his Motorhome) to Yubay, I got sucked off onto the new road also. Poor Art had to turn around on that narrow road. The new road goes east (from the normal road to Desengano or Yubay) to connect with the road continuing to the rancho in Arroyo Yubay. There had been a recent race on it, making a heavy berm and I just plain screwed up.
Neal

David K - 10-14-2013 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
When I took Art (in his Motorhome) to Yubay, I got sucked off onto the new road also. Poor Art had to turn around on that narrow road. The new road goes east (from the normal road to Desengano or Yubay) to connect with the road continuing to the rancho in Arroyo Yubay. There had been a recent race on it, making a heavy berm and I just plain screwed up.
Neal

East (towards L.A. Bay) to a ranch in Arroyo Yubay?

Here are satellite images of the road in to Yubay, from before this new one... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44034

Neal Johns - 10-19-2013 at 09:00 AM

Yes, DK, I knew it was there but got sucked off by all the race traffic berms for a few tenths of a mile. I have been to the edge of the ranch but never drove in.

honda tom - 10-19-2013 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Neal

That's the one! looked to be the main rd. took us to the rancho. about 1.5 miles +or- from the asphalt, stay left at Y. not even showing on my google earth.

honda tom - 10-19-2013 at 09:29 AM

on the way to Puerto de calamuje we passed a group (oncoming) of 3 vehicles... one towing a panga. they were all loaded down with camping and fishing equipment. they had been out at calamuje and were leaving. We passed them again (same direction) on our way to cocos. When we reached cocos there was a group of 3 Mexicans that were leaving. coco said they were the owners of his land and the land from calamuje to hwy 1, 7 km's wide. People are supposed to fill out papers requesting permission to fish at Puerto calamuje. the permits are held at cocos....... surely some sort of fee applies. these people scoffed at coco on the way in and stated they did not need permission. Anyway the order to leave calamuje was given by the Mexican marines by way of boat from BOLA. The 3 vehicles took a little known bypass road to avoid coco's corner on their way north. Coco said the military at rancho grande had orders to arrest and detain.

PUERTO CALAMAJUE on Maps

David K - 10-19-2013 at 04:26 PM

1905:

1911:

1919 (1905 epedition):

1919:

1962:

1970:

1975:

How do you 'say' "Calamajué"? The easy 'way' is CALA-MA-WAY :yes: